American politics

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

American politics

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Jan 2018, 18:02

Knowing that there were some highly regarded Republican presidents in the past, I wondered how and why the parties seemed to change ideologically. I found Democrats and Republicans were originally combined!
Below is what I gathered, but someone more familiar with the American system must correct me.

Early American parties included Federalists, and Democratic Republicans. The Democratic Republicans led by Andrew Jackson, insisted that they were the true heirs of the Jeffersonian Republican tradition—but to emphasize their commitment to advancing the interests of the common man, they soon simplified their name to Democrats. Federalism faded after the defeat of the British.

The next major party was the Whig Party. The Democrats favored a smaller national government and opposed, in particular, any Whig proposal that seemed to threaten their economic, social, or cultural freedoms. They viewed the Whigs as self-righteous meddlers, and they argued that, historically, federal intervention in the economy served only a small economic elite. Democrats did, however, encourage forcible government removal of Native Americans in order to open western lands to white migrants. And they did support war with Mexico in the 1840s in order to expand the western domain.
The Democratic party split into two factions: one representing proslavery Democrats in the South and another representing antislavery Democrats in the North.

The Whigs too, found themselves divided over slavery and suffered from a lack of leadership. When the Whig Party collapsed the beneficiary of this political void was the new Republican Party, founded in 1854. It ran its first candidate for president in 1856, John C. Fremont, and elected its first president, Abraham Lincoln, in 1860. The Civil War ensued.

During the American Civil War, the Confederate States of America consisted of the governments of 11 Southern states that seceded from the Union in 1860-61, carrying on all the affairs of a separate government and conducting a major war until defeated in the spring of 1865.

After the Civil War, the Republicans dominated the presidency for more than twenty years, while the Democrats—a party strongly linked to the defeated Confederacy—exercised little influence outside the South.

I still struggle over comparing the historical aims with contemporary aims of these parties. I had hoped to gain some insight. :yeah_right
I dream, therefore I am.