A pretence of progress

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

A pretence of progress

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Jan 2018, 17:35

The marriage of welfare with prosperity seemed like a permanent settlement between capital and labour after the Second World War.
So what went wrong?
Jeremy Seabrook considers the past, present and future implications of a growing inequality.

https://newint.org/features/2017/03/01/ ... f-progress
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: A pretence of progress

Post by Perrorist » 10 Jan 2018, 18:20

What went wrong was acceptance of the concept of the "rational economic man". This notion gradually evolved from the 18th to the 20th centuries, when it was neatly formulated by Alfred Marshall, a US economist, who saw a world of consumers intent on calculating what was in their best interest. Thus, Margaret Thatcher's claim that there was no such thing as society, only individuals who had to look after themselves.

The spirit of cooperation that emerged after the Second World War, mindful of the ravages of pre-war capitalism, gave the world the National Health Service, National Insurance, and public ownership of essential utilities, In the late 70s and 80s, this spirit was gradually undermined and finally eroded by neoliberalism with its emphasis on private ownership and individualism.

And here we are again, as if we were in the 1920s, facing the prospect of serious dislocation caused by the extraction of immense wealth by the few at the expense of those who provide the labour* that produces it. This is what's causing the rise of fascism, racism, and isolationism.

*Actually, it's not just labour. The productivity provided by automation is also ending up as more wealth for the privileged few.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 11 Jan 2018, 17:03

And this, in a nutshell, tells me that the tories, liberal nations, and Republicans in the US are enemies of the people. Margaret Thatcher's claim that there was no such thing as society, only individuals who had to look after themselves. :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 11 Jan 2018, 21:03

Found this one on Twitter some time ago,and thought it would come in handy one day :

Trickle Down Economics

Trickle Down Economic

Trickle Down Economi

Trickle Down Econom

Trickle Down Econo

Trickle Down Econ

Trickle Down Eco

Trickle Down Ec

Trickle Down E

Trickle Dow

Trickle Do

Trickle D

Trickl

Trick
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Jan 2018, 21:05

:good_one

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 12 Jan 2018, 09:42

And here's me thinking the wealth and resources of a nation belonged to its people tsk tsk, aj well one has to have dreams, so bring on the election so we can rid ourselves of this go nowhere bunch :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 12 Jan 2018, 11:14

What are you proposing Granduke?.....fling out the "Go nowhere" bunch and replace them with the "Do nothing" bunch....? :yeah_right

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 12 Jan 2018, 14:28

Point taken mate so what do we have much of a muchness, labor is progressive, the liberals well the opposite all slash and burn, I will go to the party with a social conscience. :character-oldtimer: :icon-mrgreen:
George Bernard Shaw

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 12 Jan 2018, 15:10

That is the whole problem with our "two party" system......we just swap them around from time to time with no improvement. We need viable and credible third and fourth parties to give us some reasonable alternatives. It would also be nice if we could find at least a FEW politicians who put Australias interests above their own or their party's. I can plainly see the problem, but the solution remains obscure.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 12 Jan 2018, 18:54

The Greens are credible, though if you read the Murdoch press you won't be blamed for thinking otherwise. They have a full range of policies that will help overcome many of today's problems. While Labor is progressive, though only by comparison with the LNP, the Greens are genuinely so.

Whatever, the fact remains that swapping one mainstream party for the other will only perpetuate the problems we have. Basically, they're the same party. It's time we stopped doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.