Media insight

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Media insight

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Feb 2018, 18:40

A friend writes

"As an old hack myself i can tell you that traditional journalists (the present system is in too much flux to generalise) are
well aware that they are presenting a caricature of reality.

Most news stories have to pick a single point to write about or they become too unwieldy to read,
and if they are not read, there is no point in writing them.

Good media outlets try to overcome this problem over time by dealing with different angles of the same story.
Feature articles go into issues at greater depth. but the world is big and media space is small."

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Media insight

Post by Dreamweaver » 08 Feb 2018, 22:55

Pity the poor journalist. In 24 hours there needs to be fresh news, so today's has to have a beginning, a middle and a result all within 24 hours. Much reporting dictates that there is no room for background, no question of why something happened, nor will there be tomorrow when this is 'yesterday's news'.
Jake Lynch might have a solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... tmlxcq6Cc4

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Media insight

Post by Dreamweaver » 09 Feb 2018, 23:37

To get the public’s interest, report violence, not peace. Good reporting still does this, yet tries to uncover reasons, provided by backgrounds, for present events.. But also it goes farther, in looking for reasons why present attitudes and conflict are maintained, which can be due to interests of other parties who seek advantages for themselves. It becomes necessary for voices regarding every perspective to be heard, not just the two most obviously involved, I reckon.
People involved, whether as instigators or employed, can become aware of multiple perspectives, and as individuals they have options, can make choices. It is these perspectives and options that good journalism seeks to present, yet still report current actions factually. Imho.