Neo-liberalism - comments

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Neo-liberalism - comments

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Feb 2018, 21:18

There is an article on the Guardian, on neo-liberalism,
In an article published in the Guardian in 2017 entitled "Neoliberalism: the idea that swallowed the world" journalist Stephen Metcalf highlighted how neoliberalism, the reigning ideology of globalization that has been functioning since the early 1980s, was finally both acknowledged by leading economists and critiqued. "Last summer, researchers at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) ...published a paper questioning the benefits of neoliberalism. In so doing, they helped put to rest the idea that the word is nothing more than a political slur, or a term without any analytic power." The paper called out a “neoliberal agenda” for "pushing deregulation on economies around the world, for forcing open national markets to trade and capital, and for demanding that governments shrink themselves via austerity or privatization. The authors cited statistical evidence for the spread of neoliberal policies since 1980, and their correlation with anaemic growth, boom-and-bust cycles and inequality."[1]
There is also a 2016 article entitled "Neoliberalism: the ideology at the root of all our problems" in the Guardian. The author, George Monbiot, echoes the findings of the IMF economists and highlights in detail how neoliberalism forged a massive cultural shift that has had significant consequences for civic life on a global scale.

They are too long for me to read, but I did read a couple of comments on them!
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... reen-party

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Neo-liberalism - comments

Post by Perrorist » 07 Feb 2018, 07:22

The tragedy for the Green party and the political health of our country is that none of these ideas get mentioned by the media. There is effectively a blackout on Green policies; a deliberate attempt to characterise them as only interested in the environment and impractical.
We've been trying to overcome this obstacle for years, but the "powers that be" have deliberately set out to suppress these ideas, especially the Murdoch media. The threat to their entrenched, privileged positions cannot be tolerated. Consider how the government is trying to undermine GetUp!, for example. GetUp! frequently campaigns on issues that are Greens policies.

The truth of the matter is that we don't have a democracy but a corporatocracy, which is the inevitable consequence of neoliberalism. Corporations own governments. They have the money and influence to do so, and encourage them to suppress alternative views in various ways. It doesn't auger well for our future.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 07 Feb 2018, 10:00

I agree with everything you have posted PERRY.
Sometimes, I think we have got more of a DICTATORSHIP in this country.
Look at how the ABC was punished for criticising the Government. They decreased their money, and we are left with a less interesting ABC.
The media is no help. They are run by very wealthy Moguls, who couldn't care less about the country or it's less fortunate people. We are becoming more like America everyday.

8-[

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 08 Feb 2018, 01:43

To my understanding, neo-liberalism is more modern than conservatism. It is not so entrenched in valuing family and church, but values private enterprise above all. Although I am not conservative, I do see that old-fashioned values served to brake the headlong rush of neo-liberalism, for self advancement at the expense of others. I can see it at the root of many conflicts. It is against the global ideal which calls on us to treat others with the same respect we would wish for ourselves.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 Feb 2018, 06:17

It is more recent. It got its start with Reagan and Thatcher in the 70s/80s, with their belief that all society's problems could be solved by the free market and continuous economic growth. Subsequent governments have expanded on that and it's now as much political as it is economic.

The background to this is the constant tension between strict paternalists on the one hand (the right-wing conservatives) and the nurturists (left wing progressives) on the other. The former have gained ascendance by framing the political dialogue in their own language. The progressives have let them get away with this and are now struggling to get their voices heard.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 08 Feb 2018, 17:06

The idea of continuous anything worries me. We live on a finite planet with finite resources and even steady growth, much less exponential growth, is never going to be sustainable in the long run.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.