Good riddance

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Good riddance

Post by mavisbramston » 22 Feb 2018, 18:49

The dead are owed nothing but the truth.
I have no tears for the ridiculous Billy Graham.
If there were a god he will rot in hell.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Good riddance

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Feb 2018, 20:26

Well he certainly wasn't my cup of tea, but he had plenty followers who thought well of him.
He preached simplistic messages which may have been what many needed.

“With the possible exception of Pope John Paul II, Graham can be said to have touched more lives for Jesus than anyone else in
the modern era and to have extolled him directly to a greater swath of humanity than anyone else in history,” summed up TIME,
which featured Graham on the cover for the first time in 1954.

Here is Barack Obama's message
@BarackObama
Billy Graham was a humble servant who prayed for so many - and who, with wisdom and grace,
gave hope and guidance to generations of Americans.
Billy Graham was also a wealthy man, leaving behind a fortune of real estate holdings, book royalties, and more—
though biographers say his humility made him turn down opportunities to earn much more.
I dream, therefore I am.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 23 Feb 2018, 02:59

mavisbramston wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 18:49
Say what you mean Mavis. :heeheehee :heeheehee
A rose by any other name...............

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Feb 2018, 09:44

I never understood his appeal. He seemed to be just another in a line of evangelists who became rich as a result of their preachings.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 23 Feb 2018, 09:53

I feel he wasn't as self interested as might appear, compared to other tent preachers and tele-evangalists .
I think he was an ignorant man appealing to ignorant people.
At the urging of newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, papers around the nation covered Graham's revival meetings closely.

As a consequence, Graham became a Christian superstar. Sociologically it is believed that Graham's success was directly related to the cultural climate of post-WWII America. Graham spoke out against the evils of Communism—one of the biggest fears threatening the American consciousness. In a 1954 interview Graham stated, "Either communism must die, or Christianity must die, because it is actually a battle between Christ and anti-Christ." With the advent of nuclear weapons and the demonstrated fragility of life, people turned to spirituality for comfort, and Graham illuminated their path.

Thus, Graham helped bind together a vulnerable nation through religious revival. By glazing over the finer details of Christianity and focusing on more moderate doctrines, Graham made evangelism enticing, non-threatening, even easy—and the media made his messages accessible to the masses.
Hearst gave instruction for him to be 'puffed'.
Graham's detractors have criticized him for being too liberal and refusing to play into partisan politics. Fundamentalists wrote him off when he condemned violence perpetrated by the anti-abortion group "Operation Rescue." Theologian Reinhold Niebuhr has called him "simplistic," while evangelist Bob Jones believes Graham has done "more harm to the cause of Jesus Christ than any other living man." President Truman even went so far as to call Graham a "counterfeit." Some anti-Semitic comments between Graham and President Nixon were also caught on tape in 1972.

However, through his long and extraordinary career, Graham has overwhelmingly been regarded in a positive light, one Time reporter calling him "the Pope of Protestant America." Another reporter from USA Today writes, "He was the evangelist who did not rip off millions (Jim Bakker) or run with prostitutes (Jimmy Swaggart) or build a megachurch (Joel Osteen) or run for president (Pat Robertson) or run a Christian political lobby (Jerry Falwell)."

Graham's integrity has encouraged millions to heed his spiritual guidance, including Martin Luther King, Jr., Bono, Muhammad Ali and United States presidents from Eisenhower to Bush. He has been rated by the Gallup organization as "One of the Ten Most Admired Men in the World" a staggering 51 times. He is regarded by contemporaries as humorous, non-judgmental, sincere, innocent and accepting.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Feb 2018, 10:23

Of course dream he will have his defenders and I know by posting this people will disagree. Iconaclastic statements are always open to criticism and even ridicule. Firstly thank you for your comments and even the ghastly Mother Theresa did some good things. Graham was to be fair not withouit merit. He was however pretty nasty.
A friend wrote
THANK GOD!!

Christian Hater Billy Graham has been called home by the Sky Fairy. Both his daughter and son believe that allowing women to control their bodies and have moral agency when they are impregnated with some dude’s sperm, and supporting equal rights for LGBTI people has let evil pour into the USA. That and Obama’s insistence that the Palestinians have a right to their own home state.

If you’ve not been put down by this self righteous prick you might think him a fine man. His views about “Jews” were all over the place. He was basically a religious opportunist. And a condescending pig.

Here is an interesting quote from Huffington Post. . .

“In 1974, when a young woman wrote to the famous evangelist about her sexual love for another woman, Graham immediately replied with a hellish threat: Homosexual perverts, with their “ungodly spirit of self-gratification,” will not inherit the kingdom of heaven.

“[L]et me say this loud and clear!” he added. “We traffic in homosexuality at the peril of our spiritual welfare.” (That position was no surprise to Graham’s minions: Several years earlier he had described homosexuality as “a sinister form of perversion” contributing to the decay of civilization.)”

GOOD RIDDANCE!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 23 Feb 2018, 11:50

Yes, he took every word of gospel as being sacred. When friends went on for more theological training, he knew he wouldn't be able to grasp it, and decided to just stick to what he could see the Bible saying, regardless. One of his biggest appeals was his simple sincerity, something lacking in the other spruikers. And being promoted by Hearst's media plus the fear of reds under the beds, gave him unprecedent support, though many Christians thought he did more harm than good.

I wonder if we, collectively, were God, if we'd consign him to rot in hell! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Feb 2018, 12:41

Betty wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 02:59
mavisbramston wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 18:49
Say what you mean Mavis. :heeheehee :heeheehee
:lol: lol. Betty I really do go over the top at times. My own son calls me a drama queen. A badge I wear with pride though not as much glamour as my son.
Thx for letting me get it off my chest. I have just made a martini and will sit under a tr.ee and meditate. By the way my very best wishes Betty

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 23 Feb 2018, 17:19

My best wishes to you also Mavis, but you could have shared your martini. :heeheehee :heeheehee
A rose by any other name...............