Only electric vehicles by 2030?

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Only electric vehicles by 2030?

Post by Perrorist » 13 Mar 2018, 17:43

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Re: Only electric vehicles by 2030?

Post by terra » 13 Mar 2018, 21:03

Will this worry most of us 'peers ?

Nope !... I plan to fall off my perch sometime in the next ten years. I've already outlived the "three score and ten" thing !

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Mar 2018, 10:27

Me too, Terra! I'll be glad to have gone before lots of these new-fangled ideas come to fruition. Never thought I'd not want to be part of progress! :character-oldtimer:
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Mar 2018, 17:27

If you happen to get to hell before me Terra, kindly save me a seat by the fire.......hate being cold. :text-thankyou:

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 16 Mar 2018, 09:19

Done Hugo ! :high_fives:

Your seat has been reserved !
:wqoohoo
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 16 Mar 2018, 14:15

I will request that my asbestos chess set be buried with me...... :text-thankyou:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 22 Mar 2018, 21:16

I hope I live to see self driving cars

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 22 Mar 2018, 21:55

mavisbramston wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 21:16
I hope I live to see self driving cars

Don't stand in front of one with your eyes closed then. :oops
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Mar 2018, 12:45

I firmly beleve its a matter of time and once the driverless car comes into reality and out of the realm of science fantasy the benefits will be enormous.
At the moment there is much doom and gloom. Nonsense of course. Science will win as it always does
Last edited by mavisbramston on 23 Mar 2018, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Mar 2018, 16:13

Driverless vehicles are inevitable. Eventually we won't be allowed to drive.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 23 Mar 2018, 19:45

I think that thosewho love driving will find a way but there are many who cannot drive. This will give them freedom.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 23 Mar 2018, 23:03

Imagine the cost of insuring these things. Will an insurance company even consider it? How do you answer the obvious question,following an accident,"Who was driving the vehicle?" Would an unlicensed driver even be allowed to be in control?
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 24 Mar 2018, 07:06

Depending on the circumstances, probably the manufacturer. I expect they'll be fitted with cameras, too.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 26 Mar 2018, 12:29

One of my ancestors, who could well afford an automobile, would not have one – the old horse and buggy was safer.

The horse in European history, 1550-1900
T Mitsuda - 2007 - repository.cam.ac.uk
The dissertation, which bears the title 'The horse in European history, 1550-1900', breaks
new ground in our understanding of European history by making sense out of the history of a
continent once dominated by and dependent on horses.

Victorian London - Transport - Road - Traffic
"Walking the streets of London with safety and speed, is an accomplishment not to be acquired without experience, and a diligent use of one's eyes in every direction from which danger may be apprehended. Considering the immense number of carriages, and the throng of foot passengers, it is surprising that so few accidents happen. I witnessed one, however, a few mornings since, which it was distressing to behold. A poor women, with a child in her arms, was knocked down in crossing a street, and got entangled under the coach horses, where she was severely bruised before she could be rescued. Before the by-standers could sufficiently recover their self-recollection to yield her any assistance, a well dressed lady actually sprang under the horses and snatched away the child, with no small personal risk to herself—a gratifying instance of female intrepidity. To observe the apparently reckless manner in which coaches are driven, one would imagine they could hardly pass the length of a street without causing accidents. But pedestrians learn to look to their own safety ; and for this, an ever-vigilent circumspection becomes necessary. Were a coach to pull up till an opening was made in the throng of foot passengers, it would be in the predicament of the clown, who waited for the river to run by before he attempted to cross. The driver must make his way through, or come to a dead stand. If a passenger before him happens to be inattentive, which is not often the case, he ejaculates his accustomed heigh! in a tone so sharp, as to put the most heedless on their guard. The streets of London are no place for the reveries of an absent man."
Nathaniel S. Wheaton, A Journal of a Residence during Several Months in London, 1830

All sorts of equipages fare worse here than anywhere. At last night’s Almack’s there was such a ‘bagarre’ among them, that several ladies were obliged to wait for hours before the chaos was reduced to any order. The coachmen on these occasions behave like madmen, trying to force their way, and the English police does not trouble itself about such matters. As soon as these heroic chariot-drivers espy the least opening, they whip their horses in, as if horses and carriage were an iron wedge; the preservation of either seems totally disregarded. In this manner one of Lady Sligos horses had its two hind-legs entangled in such a manner in the fore-wheel of a carriage, that it was quite impossible to release them, and one turn of the wheel would infallibly have broken both. Notwithstanding this, the other coachman could hardly be prevailed on to stand still. When the crowd dispersed a little, they were forced to take out both horses, and even then it was with some difficulty they extricated the tangled one. All this time the poor animal roared like a lion in Exeter ‘Change. At the same time a cabriolet was crushed to pieces, and ‘en révanche’ drove both its shafts through the window of a coach, from which the screams of several female voices proved that it was already full:—many other carriages were damaged.
Prince Pückler-Muskau, A Tour of Germany, Holland, and England.May 21st 1827
http://www.victorianlondon.org/transport/traffic.htm
I dream, therefore I am.