Cross the bloody floor

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Cross the bloody floor

Post by mavisbramston » 03 Aug 2017, 11:58

Enough is enough. Even gay people are sick and tired of the debate. Its all so simple. Pass it and let my son bring his legal husband to his own country. Let this beautiful couple be recognised. P
If liberal really means liberal cross the bloody floor.
Turnbull you are probaly going to lose. At least be remembered for some integrity. Show you act on things you actually believe in cross the floor. Show some guts.
Stuff the right wing haters.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: Cross the bloody floor

Post by Warrigal » 03 Aug 2017, 12:40

Here! Here!
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 03 Aug 2017, 14:32

The sooner the better. Next week if possible. There are too many important things to do.

ps .... 3 stutters Mavis. You really are into it now,eh. It is getting close now,mate,and it could be two birds with one stone.
Last edited by Slapsy on 03 Aug 2017, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 03 Aug 2017, 14:34

It really is sickening, that a few nasty people can prevent something as important as this to go on hold for so long.
I fully agree with you both! =D=

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Aug 2017, 15:38

We'll wait to see how much influence Abbott has on Monday morning in the party room.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 03 Aug 2017, 16:06

Turnbull is turning out to be a thorough numbskull on this issue - he promised the Australian people a "say" on marriage equality at the last election so feels he MUST go ahead with a plebiscite. Blind freddie can see that the only ones who would vote against it are the dyed-in-the-wool religious who consider homosexuality a sin.
We (the majority of Australians) dont want an expensive and inconvenient plebiscite (which is not binding anyway) - we want our parliamentarians to do THE JOB WE PAY THEM TO DO - vote on our behalf and change the status quo. :text-thankyou:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 03 Aug 2017, 18:20

I cant top that kfhugo. Brilliantly said

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 04 Aug 2017, 11:25

The option of a non compulsory postal vote is cunningly contrived by the likes of Abbot and Dutton to almost guarantee a no vote. The reason I believe is that only the people directly effected by the outcome will be bothered voting ,people like me and my family. Gay people and their friends and family. I think there are enough red neck haters in the country to get the anti marriage vote over the line.
Dont forget theres a huge number of people who just dont get it. They say things like the gays can have civil unions and thats enough surely. A non compulsory vote will mean most will abstain.
Then again I may well be under estimating the Australian people. Dear friends like Tricia and Betty from another site gave me much support at times I was very deeply depressed about this issue. Since coming to Silver I have found people from all political sides supporting marriage equality.
What ever happens I will keep fighting. There is no compromise.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 04 Aug 2017, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 04 Aug 2017, 11:47

There won't be a postal vote.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 04 Aug 2017, 12:23

I would hope that there wont be a vote at all. Our Federal members ought to be in touch with there constituents and have a good idea of public sentiment on the matter - THEY should vote in Parliament and save a LOT of time, trouble and expence. I am so completely fed up with politics and politicians who put the best interests of this nation and its people dead LAST in preference to their own and their party's agenda.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 04 Aug 2017, 14:04

:good_one

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 05 Aug 2017, 20:43

100% agree with kfchugo and his sentiments.
However, I will also admit that we seem to overlook the influences RELIGION plays in this debate.
Someone said, let's see what Abbott says on Monday morning.
I don't wish to destroy anyone's dream but if we were to depend on Abbott on such an important issue, we might as well turn off the lights right now and forget about fairness for the same sex issue.

As far as I am concerned Abbott is a has-been, and nothing good can come from him whilst he is warming the benches!

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Aug 2017, 06:38

According to Peter Hartcher in the SMH yesterday, a postal vote is being seen as the least risky way for Malcolm to extricate himself from the mess he's found himself in. However, he says it will meet a number of obstacles before it can become a reality. We shall see.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 06 Aug 2017, 21:34

Insiders had some good stuff today on the thinking in the liberal party.
There are people who would destroy the party to stop any free vote on the floor of parliament.
Like to be a fly on the wall at the party meeting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 06 Aug 2017, 21:44

Do couples walk down the street waving their marriage certificate around?
I'm just wondering if it will change anything at all.
In fact there could be a downside, -domestic violence, messy divorce etc.
what has been the experience in Ireland who have done it already?