A plea from Mavis

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Re: A plea from Mavis

Post by Mahalia » 23 Aug 2017, 18:35

Love is love - and isn't it what most parents want for their kids - so why should it matter one iota if they find it with a same sex partner. If they are happy, committed and living a good life they are blessed, and so are their family.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 04 Sep 2017, 16:44

The post by Mahalia is quite simply beautiful. Clear concise and ompassionate.
I am not as confident as others that the yes vote will dominate. If it were in the hands of the young of course but not all senior sites are as uplifting as silver peers. I still hear claims by no campaigners that THEY should be happy with civil unions claiming this will give them all they want.
Its rather Orwellian.... all animals are created equal but some are more equal than others. I recall the Tom Roberts song Glad to be gay...the buggers are legal now what more are they after.
Its sad but I still think it is not a foregone conclusion.
However if it is a no vote the campaign will and must continue.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 04 Sep 2017, 21:23

7:30 report. two gay guys say they will vote 'No'.
Because they don't want to get married.
As tho they will be forced to get married if there is marriage equality???
some one needs to tell them its optional.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 05 Sep 2017, 09:03

They were quite ridiculous werent they .? Personally I think this whole expensive exercise is geared to a justification for voting no. Having two gay men voting no is ammunition for the no side. These two mn will regret this
These two men just don't get it. There are many gay couples that have absolutely no desire to marry. There are many reasons for this It is completely irrelevant .Just because they dont want it , other couples do. Many couples like my son have married.
The latest ploy by the no side is aying they feel bullied.Bullied?
Try living as a young gay kid in schools or a man being beating up by socalled poofer bashers.
Great post Buck.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 05 Sep 2017, 10:53

One of them was a Catholic; the other never did agree with gay marriage. Why the ABC bothered with them, I've no idea.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 05 Sep 2017, 12:57

Perrorist wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 10:53
One of them was a Catholic; the other never did agree with gay marriage. Why the ABC bothered with them, I've no idea.
They need to justify a balanced coverage. How many points do they get for showing a gay couple claiming an intention to vote NO?
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 05 Sep 2017, 15:36

The idea of a ballot or vote, is to allow people to express their personal wishes on any particular subject.

With the SSM postal Ballot, the Federal government is encouraging people to vote "yes"..... huh ! :hhuuuhhhh

Now isn't that defeating the purpose of a "vote" ? :hhuuuhhhh

No matter which way we vote on this subject, "yes" or "no", that particular wish should be respected either way.... such is the ethics of a democracy.
:twocents-mytwocents:

No one should be TOLD which way they should vote ! :character-oldtimer:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 06 Sep 2017, 18:20

I find it hard to agree with you Terra. I am not actually saying you are wrong but I cannot find any room in my heart to say my son and others like him are not entitled to equality. I Bguess they can have their opinion but for us its personal. i really feel the no campaign are going out of their way to say they are experiencing predjudice. It was always going to be their agenda. "We are hurting more than the gays" They are not.
I think perhaps if an issue is very close to your heart its impossible to respect people who are basically saying you are not entitled to the rights we have.
Its rather like the anti Muslim rhetoric one hears. If you are a muslim or you are related to a family member you cannot be expected to respect the anti Muslim tirades. Theres a lovely lady on this site I have often defended and will continue to do so.
Gay marriage will not change your life at all.
There should not be a public vote.
It has been very nasty.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 06 Sep 2017, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 06 Sep 2017, 19:01

The opponents are trying to muddy the waters.
that cunnng rat Tony abbott sent out a dog whistle:

'If you don't like same-sex marriage vote 'no', if you're worried about religious freedom and freedom of speech vote no, if you don't like political correctness vote 'no'.'

i saw a woman in the 'No' ad worried that her son would wear a dress to school. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 06 Sep 2017, 20:13

Youre great Buck.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 06 Sep 2017, 21:07

Firstly, the High Court hasn't approved the Postal Survey yet. A decision is expected sometime on Thursday 7/9/17.
The Postal Survey is only to decide the following:

The Treasurer, under the Census and Statistics Act 1905, has directed the Australian Statistician to request statistical information from all Australians on the Commonwealth Electoral Roll, as to their views on whether or not the law should be changed to allow same sex couples to marry.

It is no more than re-writing the current Marriage Law or not!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 08 Sep 2017, 09:44

Mavis, I'm not saying that we should vote a certain way..... nor am I supporting a NO vote.
Just saying that to be told by the Prime Minister to vote YES, is akin to a judge telling a jury which way to vote.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 Sep 2017, 10:06

Turnbull isn't telling people to vote Yes, he's merely said how he will vote. He's expressly refused to advocate the Yes vote, unlike Shorten.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 08 Sep 2017, 10:15

Geez Perry.... I've definitely heard him say on more than one occasion, that he "encourages" people to vote yes.
I'll have to do some more research on that. :hhuuuhhhh

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 Sep 2017, 11:46

Encouraging isn't the same as telling them. I would encourage you to vote Yes just as I might encourage you to read a book or see a film, but I wouldn't think I was ordering you to. Maybe it's how we interpret "tell"?