A plea from Mavis

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: A plea from Mavis

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Sep 2017, 11:09

Dreamweaver wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 17:53
Attitudes it seems are more to do with population density than party politics!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-13/s ... ss/8788978
Its too hot for any kind of sex in Queensland.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Sep 2017, 11:11

By the time voting results are announced everyone will be more than ready to move on, I think. Until then it's still a topical issue. There are many ills in the world, and if we could easily fix them we would still need to prioritise which needed most urgency.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Sep 2017, 11:19

I believe this whole procedure has been cruel and nasty, particularly from the no camp. We have had to counsel several young people over this . Its all so divisive. Its also a waste of money.
An old lesbian friend said recently that she never thought marrying her partner of fifty years was so terrible. I bet there are plenty of hetero marriages that dont last that long.
I dont choose to debate with no people.
I cannot respect their views as the issue is personal. I just politely part company. But I will be polite.
Some of you wont agree and you dont have to. Its a case of never the twain shall meet.
My plea was simply about giving your love and support to the gay commmunity. We cannot be too certain of the outcome.
Regardless of the vote my advice to the young gay people KEEP FIGHTING FOR EQUALITY. If its a NO Never accept intolerance and discrimination. THE DAY WILL COME.
There will always be good people to stand with you.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 15 Sep 2017, 13:28

Originally,my attitude to this issue was on the side of NO. Over time I changed to support what I now believe to be a minority of the gay community. I say a minority because most gay people I speak to have no real intention of getting married. Most of them support the YES argument,but have no real preference one way or the other.
Because of the way this campaign has been conducted,by both sides,I now have no preference at all. When I throw my survey papers in the bin,do I aim for the recycling bin,or the landfill bin. Maybe it would be better to shred them and add them to my compost bin,eh.

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Sep 2017, 14:07

Cant help thinking of how that wasted money could be used for hospitals or research.
Just heard Tony Abbots daughter is voting yes. Good on her.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 15 Sep 2017, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Sep 2017, 14:35

Tony Abbott's daughter, Frances, has voted Yes in the postal ballot. Conversation around the Abbott's dinner table should be interesting.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 15 Sep 2017, 15:32

abbots sister is gay.
november 15th is the day of reckoning for the results
and all those dual citizens face the axe around the same time from the high court.
I'm stocking up on popcorn. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Sep 2017, 20:39

Abbot makes the absurd claim that gay marriage will lead to people wanting to marry animals lol. Mmmm maybe not. Abbots wife married a donkey.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 15 Sep 2017, 21:19

I haven't received my survey forms yet. I understand that when I do I will have just two options,YES or NO,but nothing in between. I would place myself in the undecided/don't care category. Considering that no matter what I decide is going to be binding on the politicians,why aren't these other options available?
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 15 Sep 2017, 21:23

since when has 'undecided' ever been on a ballot paper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 15 Sep 2017, 21:42

Buck_naked wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 21:23
since when has 'undecided' ever been on a ballot paper. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not a ballot paper Buck,it is merely an opinion poll. A normal opinion poll would allow other options.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Sep 2017, 21:47

Wasn't this to be a survey about whether we wanted a plebiscite about changing the law back to what it was? This is itself the plebiscite, or do we get another if the survey goes the 'yes' way?
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 15 Sep 2017, 23:32

WAKE UP members, this is as decisive poll and will give all of us an opportunity to express our own way of thinking!

YES, will ensure that we do have a say in this debate and also preserve our rights to ensure that our voices are heard when desired.

NO, will ensure that the Government will always be the decisive voice in any debate and reduce the general public to a mere lamb following the others to a slaughter house.

Use your decision to send a message to your representative saying that you are an individual and that your voice is as, if not more, important than the religious opinions of your member of Parliament!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 16 Sep 2017, 09:28

Warringah says 'Yes', - 69.7% in favour. that is tony abbotts seat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My electorate is hovering at 51% yes

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... poll-shows

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 16 Sep 2017, 11:59

Could this be an indication of the fiasco ahead :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-16/s ... in/8952156

Can you imagine if the participation rate is 60/70%,that people like Abbott and Abetz will not use reports like this as a delaying mechanism.