Losing our identity

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Losing our identity

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Aug 2017, 09:07

I keep reading this on other sites.
Can someone tell me precisely what our identity is?

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: Losing our identity

Post by Buck_naked » 18 Aug 2017, 10:26

Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Aug 2017, 12:19

I thought of that too Buck but apart from probaly kangaroos the others are not really Australian. Pies are English, football international unless one means Aussie rules which is Gaelic football and Holden is not an Aussie company.
But thx for the response and it made me giggle.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 18 Aug 2017, 12:31

Losing your identity is having to stand up in parliament and tell them you're not who they thought you were. :icon-mrgreen:

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 18 Aug 2017, 14:04

lynny wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 12:31
Losing your identity is having to stand up in parliament and tell them you're not who they thought you were. :icon-mrgreen:
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Aug 2017, 14:21

Ah, Lynny, spot on. :good_one

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 18 Aug 2017, 15:03

I know who I am. I'm still learning about you lot.

After travelling overseas in 1985 I came home asking myself just what is the Australian identity. I definitely knew that whatever it is, we are different to the English, Canadians and Americans. We are a bit more like our cousins the Kiwis but also different.

There are three things that I think are very common in Australians and my father embodied them all. He always said that all he wanted was fair go and a bit of peace and quiet. By this he was expressing the value of social justice and egalitarianism. Not unique to Australians.

The peace and quiet comment was because he had been in the army in WW II and valued being able to chart his own course in life without having too many orders thrown at him. The last thing he passed on was a love of Australian flora and fauna. Love of country to an Australian seems to be literally love of country - not jingoistic patriotism but a willingness to care for, look after and conserve our unique environment.

On the downside Australians tend to be rather xenophobic and wary of people who look foreign. However, when they meet a stranger from another culture, they tend to take them as they find them. My Mum was like that. To her Australians all had English looking faces but when New Australians began appearing in our street she welcomed them and helped them to settle in. She hated the Japanese vehemently until she met the young Japanese teacher that we hosted for a couple of weeks. She thought him delightful and there was no animosity at all. There was none from the old man across the road either who had been in the NZAF during the war. He had dropped pamphlets in Japanese calling for surrender and he was keen to have Junichi translate one of them for him. There was no residual hatred from his past.

Oh, one more. We hate tipping.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Aug 2017, 15:49

That jibes with my understanding, too.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Aug 2017, 22:40

I would find it easier to name characteristics of others that aren't common here. (If I was at present awake enough!) For instance my cousin who was born in England came out here. My daughter told him "Please don't keep on apologising all the time. Australians don't do it."

A German friend after a visit back there, told me every German she reunited with was on all the time about what they owned or what they had achieved..

It is also easy to see vast differences within our Aussie bunch, but perhaps on the whole -
  • We want to be taken as you find us, and not to 'put on side'.
    We mainly think what you do is your business, and what I do is mine.
    We don't often worry about 'What will people think'.
Which can all seem pretty brash and uncivil to some. An English lass getting off the plane here was horrified at the aggressive shouting she heard. Couldn't understand the words, but the tone was enough. She asked her Aussie fiancee what was shouted, which turned out to be "Ow yer goin', mate?:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 19 Aug 2017, 06:22

It was 25 years before I could be persuaded to return to Britain for a holiday. Apart from the usual changes to the urban landscape you might expect, I was surprised by how dour and unfriendly English people were. By contrast, Australians were optimistic and outgoing, with a can-do attitude that seemed to be completely absent in the English, replaced by a stoicism that is admirable, but only when it's needed.

There are definitely national characteristics. In my travels I've found Americans to be mostly friendly, generous, and insular; Swedes morose and self-righteous; Finns and Danes friendly; Germans inconsiderate of others; the French proud, rude, and argumentative; and Italians ebullient and slightly crazy.

They're generalisations, of course, and there are many individuals who are different.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 19 Aug 2017, 07:43

Whatever the problem, you can usually find the answer in an episode of Seinfeld.

"Elaine: I'll be ostracized from the community.
Jerry: What community? There's a community?
Elaine: Of course there's a community.
Jerry: All these years I'm living in a community, I had no idea."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 19 Aug 2017, 09:32

:lol: :lol:

GET OUT!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator