Help lines

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Help lines

Post by Perrorist » 17 Oct 2017, 11:32

The problem is that if you don't respect, as in tolerate, another person's views, you're likely to attribute all kinds of negative characteristics to them, effectively demonizing them. That influences you to take discriminatory or, worse, physical actions against them. The fact that someone sincerely believes in the traditional view of marriage doesn't make them evil. Indeed, they could be care workers or kindergarten teachers. It's quid pro quo: if you want respect for your own views you must reciprocate.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 17 Oct 2017, 17:32

Because I respect you Perrorist I will work on it. Its bloody hard though.)

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Oct 2017, 20:44

True, there are some holocaust deniers, white supremists and the gun lobbyists who seem more mistaken than being 'bad' or hateful people. I just wish they could be a bit better informed.

I guess they think the same about me! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 17 Oct 2017, 22:53

"Respect" is a word that is thrown about quite a bit these days and I suppose that we all have our own views on its meaning and application in our day to day lives. Personally, I dont believe that anybody or any thing has an automatic right to my/our respect - it must be earned. There are many people, ideas, philosophies policies, beliefs etc in this world that I DO have respect for while often disagreeing with them.
As an example, one might think that the Prime minister of this country might have a claim to automatic respect. While I do have some respect for Malcolm Turnbull, I have zero respect for his predecessor. While I recently voted "yes", I have great respect for those who voted "no". I am completely unable to feel any respect for such things as violent radical Islam, racial aparthied, paedophiles etc., etc. Some things are simply wrong/bad/evil and totally undeserving of any respect.
Again, a personal view, but I am unable to feel any respect for politicians - it is a dirty, dishonest profession built on lies, deception, compromise, back-stabbing and self interest. Imagine the conniving, deal making and duplicity it must take just to get elected. For my money, governing the country should be like jury duty - people with education, drive and ability DRAFTED into the job for fixed terms as a service to the country, with regular performance reviews and replacement if they are not up to the job - that way, they may actually earn the salaries, pensions, lurks and perks that now go with these jobs.
Well, that was my futile and irrelevant rant for the day........ time for a nice slug of port and a good lie down :text-thankyou:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 17 Oct 2017, 23:06

mavisbramston wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 10:13
Of course but if an issue effects you personally and you have experienced the hate of no voters, Perry I cannot respect the NO opinion just as I cant respect holocaust deniers, white supremists and the gun lobby.For no voters it had NEVER been about marriage. Its been a golden opportunity to express hate.
Sometimes its impossible to respect another opinion if the issue personally effects you. Perhaps I should keep out of the argument. I still do not see why my beautiful sons life is being voted on?
How would people here feel if their marriage was accepted almost every where but not in your own country?
I cannot see how gay people can respect the rights of no voters to say stuff like — I have nothing against you but dont think you are equal to me and you cannot have what I am having.
Marriage is OUR word not yours.
All I have ever said and wondered is why is my sons marriage and family accepted all over the world...even in UK and New Zealand but not in the land he was born in.
For quite some time now I have been ignoring this post Mavis,and I have just deleted a long reply,to you,regarding my reasons for voting NO. Those reasons,I now realise,are my business. But,I can assure you that HATE was never a consideration.
Whether it agrees with yours,or not,everybody is entitled to an opinion. For you to openly throw scorn and ridicule at somebody,just because they express a different opinion,does not serve you very well,at all. I do understand your view,it is a shame that you can't understand mine,and many others just like me. I also understand why you would be so strong in your support of your son,and his partner,and I wish them both a good future.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Oct 2017, 02:36

kfchugo wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 22:53
Well, that was my futile and irrelevant rant for the day........ time for a nice slug of port and a good lie down :text-thankyou:
Not futile or irrelevant in my book, Hugo. I have long felt that politicians as our representatives need to be ordinary people off the streets, called in to serve similarly to jury service. They don't need to be any more knowledgable than we are, they have the public service to inform them. We don't have to study law to be eligible for jury duty. They need to have ordinary common sense and decency, and if they haven't got those their appointment can be challenged, just as jurists can.
:character-oldtimer:
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Oct 2017, 08:58

I agree. Kfhugo I am sounding like an admiration society. Another superb post.Thank you for voting yes. I read your post with interest.
I still think the no vote could win but it will never be the end of the struggle.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 18 Oct 2017, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 18 Oct 2017, 09:05

Thank you Dreamweaver and Mavis - comforting to know that I am not totally alone with my cynicism :lol:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Oct 2017, 10:05

Respect was probably not the right word. Acknowledgment that someone has a different opinion for reasons of their own is what I was driving at. We shouldn't treat someone as a deplorable, as Clinton did, as this just colours our entire view of that person and is reciprocated. Of course, there are people who don't deserve tolerance because their actions are hateful and harmful, and for them I have no time at all.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Oct 2017, 10:55

This might be helpful for some folk here.

https://www.prideinclusionprograms.com. ... _Final.pdf