Help lines

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Help lines

Post by mavisbramston » 11 Oct 2017, 21:51

This is not to create debate on equality.
There should never have been a debate.
One thing is for certain ...this friendly debate is hurting many people. We have been involved in volunteer work with LGBT COMMUNITY and many are feeling the stress and cruelty . If you know anyone please tell them they have your love and support. There are HELP lines you can call. The Vic aids counsel is excellent. There have been suicides.

https://au.reachout.com/articles/lgbtqi ... t-services

Many are feelings their dreams of equality are going to be shattered. Let your friends know that WE WILL NEVER STOP FIGHTING FOR EQUALITY.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: Help lines

Post by mavisbramston » 13 Oct 2017, 11:10

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Oct 2017, 11:36

The trick here is to convince the populace that a section of humanity can be equal while stil being "different". Prejudice and bigotry can be so ingrained in some people that they no longer recognise it in themselves.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 14 Oct 2017, 12:06

kfchugo wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 11:36
The trick here is to convince the populace that a section of humanity can be equal while stil being "different". Prejudice and bigotry can be so ingrained in some people that they no longer recognise it in themselves.
The section of humanity that you are talking about kfchugo are equal,no question about that. They know they are gay. It is the other groups that are causing the confusion. They are the ones who think they are gay,tell you they are gay. Some even hope they are gay. Then we have the thousands who decide,once a year,to play gay. The majority of my gay friends,maybe even all of them,have no involvement in the mardi gras. Just like everybody else,they just go about their business without bothering other people,and because of that they do get treated equally.
The biggest obstacle to acceptance for some people,in my opinion,is the annual mardi gras.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Oct 2017, 12:43

Yes, Slapsy. The majority of gay people I know are lovely normal people, but I do know some very vocal ones who are more like nut cases, and have jumped on the gay bandwagon to get attention. Fortunately very few. I don't even know if they really are gay or self deluded. Not to say, either, that they are the only ones facing intolerance and abuse. Heteros can be really nasty when they (we) want to be, to anybody different from them.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Oct 2017, 13:09

There wouldn't be a reason for the Gay Mardi Gras were the LGBTIQ individuals regarded as equally valid members of our society. They're not. One day it will be of no consequence and the event will fade away.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 14 Oct 2017, 19:05

Personally I love the mardi gras. I know some dont and think its disgusting. I find it great fun. Still I have given up trying to convince its critics. What ever you think it brings happiness to thousands and unlike the church and others mardi gras gets no tax payer assistance or funding . I will be glad when this horrid homophobic debate or survey is over. Depite from what you hear its pretty nasty. Turnbull lied. Again

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 14 Oct 2017, 21:25

kfchugo wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 11:36
Brilliantly said .. :happy-sunshine:

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 15 Oct 2017, 17:42

18 y.o. man jumped 7 stories to his death on the sunshine coast yesterday.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 15 Oct 2017, 19:03

:text-imsorry: That is very sad. I do hope the survey wasn't the trigger.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Oct 2017, 09:58

I know of a couple of cases. This has hurt so many young people.
Just letting your gay friends and their families know you are supporting them means a great deal.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 16 Oct 2017, 13:48

Unless it is a part of the delaying process,why is this carrying on so long? Everyone who intends to vote has already submitted their form,so both sides are now preaching to nobody.
Suicide is a tragedy,but to blame any,on this survey campaign,is stretching it a bit. If political correctness,safe schools,freedom of speech,etc. are considered as not related to the issue of marriage,why isn't some of the side issues raised by the gay community considered the same.
Please don't get me wrong,I do think the NO side has run a dirty campaign. But,the YES side have been no different,with their refusal to even consider any alternate views.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Oct 2017, 13:54

It's a subject on which most people don't have implacable views, but those that do aren't open to discussion. However, they should respect each other's opinion.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 17 Oct 2017, 10:13

Of course but if an issue effects you personally and you have experienced the hate of no voters, Perry I cannot respect the NO opinion just as I cant respect holocaust deniers, white supremists and the gun lobby.For no voters it had NEVER been about marriage. Its been a golden opportunity to express hate.
Sometimes its impossible to respect another opinion if the issue personally effects you. Perhaps I should keep out of the argument. I still do not see why my beautiful sons life is being voted on?
How would people here feel if their marriage was accepted almost every where but not in your own country?
I cannot see how gay people can respect the rights of no voters to say stuff like — I have nothing against you but dont think you are equal to me and you cannot have what I am having.
Marriage is OUR word not yours.
All I have ever said and wondered is why is my sons marriage and family accepted all over the world...even in UK and New Zealand but not in the land he was born in.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Oct 2017, 10:41

This view of hetero marriage - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendez ... 54427796f4 - is interesting when considering gay marriage.
The concept of a “love marriage” is relatively recent, and is still considered taboo in many parts of the world, where the possibility of marriage reaching beyond economic stability for women, and the respectability and heirs it affords men, is tantamount to betrayal of one’s own family.

So, despite Hollywood’s best efforts to make marriage appear the epitome of romance, I can’t quite get past matrimony’s essentialism: that it stems from the kind of institutionalised inequality between genders that saw women as the property of their husbands - and before that, the property of their fathers.

Yet, governments, businesses and popular culture continue to propagate the concept of a traditional marriage by legislating against anything that could possibly disrupt this apparent “ideal”, and also actively discriminating against those who, for whatever reason, are not married, or are not allowed to (hello, gay couples).
I dream, therefore I am.