61.6% say YES

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

61.6% say YES

Post by Perrorist » 15 Nov 2017, 10:13

"Thirteen years after the Howard government changed the law to prevent same-sex marriage, Australians have now backed the historic social reform, with 61.6 voting ‘Yes’ to 38.4 for ‘No’. The turnout was 12,727,920 people (79.5 per cent)."

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: 61.6% say YES

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Nov 2017, 10:44

Have not stopped crying. Son and his husband rang from Denmark. Wife daughter friends are having party tonight.
To all the beautiful brilliant glorious supporters here on silver peers thank you thank you thank you.
Too emotional to write more. \:D/

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 15 Nov 2017, 10:52

Adam and Steve it is then.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 15 Nov 2017, 11:59

It really only means that we have given the lazy b*****ds permission. When was the last time they listened to us?
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Nov 2017, 12:19

Buck_naked wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:52
Adam and Steve it is then.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes Buck but dont worry Jane and Mary can marry too. As well as Buck and Marylin.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 15 Nov 2017, 12:55

As one of the YES voters, I am delighted that the vote went our way. I have made many wonderful friends who were gay, when I was singing in G&S and other amateur productions. My leading Man in The Pirates of Penzance was gay. He had a beautiful tenor voice which went very well with my Coloratura voice. He was a pleasure to work with.
I only hope that our politicians will get it fixed up as soon as possible.
They are carrying on about religious freedom and the dangers of losing it. I think the religions have too much freedom. A lot of the people who were attacked as children by their leaders, would agree with me.
Congratulations to all who voted YES. It's a great result! :icon_biggrin: =D=

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 15 Nov 2017, 13:48

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 15 Nov 2017, 14:45

Western suburbs of sydney is hate central, including the seat of Chris Bowen (65% No)
Full list:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-15/s ... sm/9145636

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 15 Nov 2017, 17:38

The attempt to nobble the legislation under the smokescreen of 'religious freedom' needs to be exposed for what it is - prejudice and bigotry.

Since when is making a gaudy cake for a wedding an expression of religious faith? How does a floral arrangement confirm or deny any religion.

I'm sure a baker can refuse to make a penis shaped cake now if it offends their sensibilities without risking being taken to court. But if he/she has a blanket policy that says no gays can ask for a wedding cake, then they are breaking the law and that should not change.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Nov 2017, 17:49

Exactly.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Nov 2017, 21:14

Beautifully said Warrigal.
Thanks for putting up with my over the top emotive arguing at times dear silver peers. This issue really mattered.
May I send a special thank you or hug to Tricia who has been a kind supportive friend here and else where during this struggle. From way back when I was attacked with incredible venom for my opinions Tricia and B have been wonderful. My son may now dance under the rainbow.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 16 Nov 2017, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Nov 2017, 22:20

It amazes me that people can use God to justify their own prejudices. Whatever or whoever you think God is, be 'He' the same yesterday today and for ever, surely this 'he' is capable of saying different things at different times, depending on the constantly changing needs of not only humanity, but all Earthly creatures, the Earth itself, and I expect the very Universe (or Multiverse!) too. This God is held to be omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, yet is deemed to utter the same phrases, like a cracked gramophone record, over centuries. Perhaps 'he' has spoken via the 61.6%.

Personally I am sure there is more than the physically perceivable, as science has been gradually revealing over a quite long time. Who can even guess? But nearly all religion (not just Christianity) encourages us to treat others with the respect we wish for ourselves. Humankind, though, has still a long way to go to reach anything like perfection!

:gassy_today:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 16 Nov 2017, 07:54

You will be pleased to know that I have changed my thinking .I HATED christains but as a result of this I have been SUPPORTED by many real christian people who supported equality. I have to say you are wonderful. I am still and atheist and still hate red necks but I wont paint all with the same brush as I have. May your God bless you. Dave Allen.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 16 Nov 2017, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 16 Nov 2017, 08:24

Good result Australia. :icon_biggrin:
A rose by any other name...............

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 16 Nov 2017, 09:38

Dreamweaver wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 22:20
It amazes me that people can use God to justify their own prejudices. Whatever or whoever you think God is, be 'He' the same yesterday today and for ever, surely this 'he' is capable of saying different things at different times, depending on the constantly changing needs of not only humanity, but all Earthly creatures, the Earth itself, and I expect the very Universe (or Multiverse!) too. This God is held to be omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, yet is deemed to utter the same phrases, like a cracked gramophone record, over centuries. Perhaps 'he' has spoken via the 61.6%.

Personally I am sure there is more than the physically perceivable, as science has been gradually revealing over a quite long time. Who can even guess? But nearly all religion (not just Christianity) encourages us to treat others with the respect we wish for ourselves. Humankind, though, has still a long way to go to reach anything like perfection!
This is the 21st century and we read the scriptures today with different eyes to scholars at the time of the Reformation. A Christian is supposedly someone who follows the teachings of Jesus. Christology, the study of his life and teachings, clearly shows that if we want to emulate him we must be open to the needs of all of humanity. Judgmentalism is not OK and we are asked to embrace those people who are on the margins of society and draw them into the centre. In Jesus' time it was people who were excluded from Jewish society - the lepers, the harlots, tax collectors, the sick and disabled and so on. He reached out to them all.

In my life time homosexuality was still a crime and gays were discriminated against and persecuted in Australia. I am proud to say that I belong to a Christian church where we have come a long way forward from those dark days. We have sorted this out at the National Assembly a couple of decades ago and homosexuality is not a barrier to ordination in the Uniting Church. Nor is living openly in a same sex relationship provided it is a committed, faithful relationship. Now isn't that the very definition of marriage?

In the near future same sex couples will be able to be married in a Uniting Church by a minister who may or may not be gay. The first of these will be Uniting Church clergy who have been waiting for this day for a very long time.

What we are witnessing is people who were once very much on the outer, who lived their lives in secret, being drawn into the centre and into the light of day.

"Perhaps 'he' has spoken via the 61.6%." Yes, Dreamweaver, I think she done just that.

And Mavis, you have just experienced an epiphany.
It is rather startling, isn't it?
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.