Vale Flo

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Vale Flo

Post by mavisbramston » 22 Dec 2017, 09:26

We have been taught not to speak ill of the dead and with good reason, after all they cannot defend themselves.
On the other hand it can be argued quite reasonably that the dead are owed nothing but the truth.Flo Bjelkie Peterson, how do we assess this woman?
She is entitled to a vale (everyone is) but beyond that I had no respect for her. She was a bully and a thug. She was not a nice pumpkin scone cooker.
Like her husband she loved power. AS long as they got elected even if it was unfair and undemocratic.
No tears from me.

:text-imsorry:

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Vale Flo

Post by Perrorist » 22 Dec 2017, 09:58

They were an ugly couple, solely concerned with looking after themselves.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 22 Dec 2017, 14:27

Between them, they raised self righteousness to an art form... :twocents-mytwocents:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 22 Dec 2017, 23:00

Abstaining from any comments!

:text-imsorry: :text-imsorry: :text-imsorry:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 23 Dec 2017, 09:19

Joh was rumoured to be performing my youngest brother's wedding ceremony,in a park in Kingaroy. When a car pulled up,with Jo and Flo in the back my brother's FIL said,quite firmly,"If that thieving old bastard gets out of that car I am going home". After some negotiations the car moved off,with the two still in the back.
If it is good enough to speak the truth about people when they are alive,why not when they are dead?
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 23 Dec 2017, 15:33

Gough Whitlam called him "a Bible-bashing bastard".

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 24 Dec 2017, 11:28

....... and even that title could be considered unwarranted praise \:D/

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 25 Dec 2017, 08:20

She was employed as a private secretary to the Queensland Commissioner for Main Roads when she met Johannes Bjelke-Petersen, who was then a Country Party member of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland.[3] They were married on 31 May 1952.[
I've heard she was the brains of the outfit - without her ambition he wouldn't have got far.
At the 1980 federal election, against the wishes of party president Sir Robert Sparkes, Joh Bjelke-Petersen arranged for his wife to be placed in the number one position on the National Party's Queensland senate ticket, ensuring her election.
It was speculated that her husband, Joh Bjelke-Petersen, intended entering federal politics, and that at some point Florence would resign from the Senate to allow Joh to be appointed to the vacancy.
Joh for P.M. :eek
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 25 Dec 2017, 08:59

He was pretty dumb. Remember how he was stumped by the question on separation of powers?
Michael Forde: What do you understand by the doctrine of the separation of powers under the Westminster system?

Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen: The Westminster system? The stock?

Forde: The doctrine of the separation of powers under the Westminster system?

Bjelke Petersen: No, I don't quite know what you're driving at. The document?

Forde: No, I'll say it again. What do you understand by the doctrine of the separation of powers under the Westminster system?

Bjelke Petersen: I don't know which doctrine you refer to.

Forde: There is only one doctrine of the separation of powers.

Bjelke Petersen: I believe in it very strongly, and despite what you may say, I believe that we do have a great responsibility to the people who elect us to government. And that's to maintain their freedom and their rights, and I did that - sought to do it - always.

Forde: I'm sure you're trying to be responsive to the question, but the question related to the doctrine of the separation of powers or the principles.

Bjelke Petersen: Between the Government and the -- Is it?

Forde: No, you tell me what you understand.

Bjelke Petersen: Well, the separation of the doctrine that you refer to, in relation to where the Government stands, and the rest of the community stands, or where the rest of the instruments of Government stand. Is that what--?

Forde: No

Bjelke Petersen: Well, you tell me. And I'll tell you whether you're right or not. Don't you know?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 25 Dec 2017, 15:04

Courier-Mail:
Ex-premier Mike Ahern has revealed Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen wanted Aborigines infected with AIDS to be left to die.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 05 Jan 2018, 09:14

A state funeral? Ridiculous and disgusting.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 05 Jan 2018, 10:32

It is my understanding this post is about the Senator Florence Beljke Petersen(not about her husband!) who served as a senator in Canberra from 1981 to 1993,& whom I believe was well liked there by those both sides of politics. She was a very gracious lady, well loved by the Kingaroy residents, who always found her to be so helpful whether privately or to any of the town's organisations.
Just a comment by one who has posted on this subject which I found hilarious, Sir Joh as a marriage celebrant :lol: re a member of his family's marriage, whatever Sir Joh was or wasn't, he was never a Marriage celebrant! :lol:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 05 Jan 2018, 11:21

Teddy its great to read another view.
I cannothowever share your obituary because she supported her husbands views and cruel views on indigenous people.
But VALE

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 Jan 2018, 20:25

Yes, they were both well liked amongst many country folk, for their steadfast declaration of upholding Christian and family values. This is worth a read.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 830e918d31

Also the previous Labor action of gerrymandering, where rural votes carried more weight than those in non-rural electorates, came back to bite them when Joh intensified it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjelkemander
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jan 2018, 06:04

The Courier-Mail story is behind a paywall.