The army is not a dumping ground

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

The army is not a dumping ground

Post by mavisbramston » 28 Apr 2018, 10:34

Here it goes again. This time its the Queen of the dumb dumbs Pauline Hansen.
I have lost count of the number of times I have heard the ridiculous refrain that we should force our troubled teenagers into the army. Biggest difference this time isthe ever reliable mother mouth suggests its also suitable for....wait for it...unemployed youth.
Offensive becauseI detest the notion of punishing the unemployed and even more disrespecting the army.
If you have served in the armed forces and I am guessing most of us have, we know thatserving your country is an honour not a punishment. The army is not there to serve inconvenient social problems. The army isthere to serve and volunteers make the best soldiers. FACT.
I have a better suggestion ...give the kids training education and. Shock Horror JOBS!

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: The army is not a dumping ground

Post by Warrigal » 28 Apr 2018, 10:48

Real training please, for real jobs that actually exist.
Too much government money has been channeled into shonky private "providers" who just go through the motions without delivering desired outcomes.

Hubby worked at TAFE some years ago teaching CAD. They ran a course for unemployed men and women and he and another teacher spent a lot of time carefully finding placements for the students with engineering firms. Most went on to find work.

It takes quite a bit of dedication to help young unemployed people. My sister was once employed teaching them the basics of cleaning so that they could get jobs cleaning holiday flats at the Sunshine Coast. Most had not the faintest clue about how to clean efficiently and their work ethic was pathetic but Sis knocked them into shape. You don't need to involve the army.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 28 Apr 2018, 11:05

Absolutely correct. Well said, as always, Warrigal. I taught at Tafe on and off in the the arts but cut back after cut back killed many great courses.
No political party seem to have any ideas on creating jobs BUT the people who vote for them have great ideas. :character-oldtimer:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 28 Apr 2018, 12:09

Killing off TAFE is one of the more reprehensible government decisions in recent times. The number of private operators who've gone bust and left their students high and dry is an indictment of the policy. Same for employment agencies. This belief that private operators offer better service is simply not borne out by experience.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 28 Apr 2018, 15:06

Many of the older generation in the U.K. has suggested that the youth of today and yesterday should enlist in the army and admitted it was the making of them when they were in the services, it was certainly never considered a dumping ground.

As regards not having a clue of how to clean as Warrigal suggests............I had a very sensible mother as far as I am concerned, I didn't have to do anything in the home, my mothers attitude regarding that was..............plenty of time for that when I had my own home so when I got married I had to learn everything from scratch.............cooking, cleaning etc, it didn't break me and I was better off for that.
A rose by any other name...............

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 28 Apr 2018, 17:39

I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 28 Apr 2018, 19:40

I've heard many in the UK say that doing their National Service was the making of them.......but times have changed.....drastically.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 28 Apr 2018, 23:47

lynny wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 19:40
I've heard many in the UK say that doing their National Service was the making of them.......but times have changed.....drastically.
Could you please explain how times have changed drastically Lynny.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 29 Apr 2018, 06:34

While our military services are not designed to turn useless hooligans into model citizens, they do afford a strict regimented environment that these kids would not otherwise experience. Youth today seem to have little respect for anything and over protective laws leave them with little respect or fear of our laws or police. A stint in the military certainly (in most cases) does instill some respect, discipline and a greater sense of self worth.
Perhaps inflicting these yobbo's on our military might be counter productive, but the old concept of "reform schools" set up on military lines might be a solution. Something needs to be done or we will just keep churning out anti-social misfits who gravitate towards criminality.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Apr 2018, 11:54

The army's a good place to learn a trade too. Only problem is active duty, getting sent into war zones!
I dream, therefore I am.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 29 Apr 2018, 14:54

I done my National service, & I think everyone should do it.
Six months & then two years part time..... Bring it back!! :character-oldtimer:

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 29 Apr 2018, 15:01

DW, I dont see active duty as a problem......merely a steeper section of their learning curve. Nothing like being shot at to clear the mind and help rearrange ones priorities. :heeheehee

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 29 Apr 2018, 16:35

As I said previously many of the older generation has said the army has been the making of them and Dreamweaver has quite rightly said that many learn't a trade but I can also turn that on it's head and give the other side of the army..............in my town there was an army camp and every weekend without exception there was a fight between the army lads and the local lads, the fights mainly took place in two of the local pubs and anyone with any self respect would not use those two particular pubs.....one weekend a lad was murdered over the rivalry between the army lads and the local lads.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 29 Apr 2018, 16:36

Biggdad wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 14:54
I done my National service, & I think everyone should do it.
Six months & then two years part time..... Bring it back!! :character-oldtimer:
I'm with you big daddy !
.. a little bit of boot camp would do wonders !

My son did a three year stint in the army when he was 20 years old.... he's now approaching 50 and he still reckons it straightened him out. He said that he learned how to swear, how to shave properly and how to respect authority and carry out orders.

:twocents-mytwocents:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Apr 2018, 17:46

I missed national service by a year, but I chose to do some time in reserve as a 16-year-old, because it paid and I wanted the extra money. The only thing I learned was how to set the range for the artillery's guns. (Standing next to one when it fires even with your hands over your ears is still painful.) If you know someone with a field gun or howitzer who needs trajectories calibrated, I'm your man.

I'm not convinced it's a general panacea for youth's problems. Some definitely would benefit, but others would suffer. I was relieved to have missed out. BTW, it was only men who were called up. Would you require women to do national service as well? If not, why not?