Police and mobile phones

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Police and mobile phones

Post by kfchugo » 30 May 2018, 16:45

There is a current news item showing a policewoman talking on a mobile phone while driving. It has sparked outrage on social media but the Police are defending the officer, stating that police are exempt from this law as they may have to get or give information over the phone in emergency situations. The point has been made that it is just as dangerous for a police officer to use a mobile as for any ordinary driver - BOTH are equally liable to have or cause an accident. Anyone who is a friend of a police officer (and knows what really goes on) will see this as yet another sign of the "us and them" mentality that is pervasive in the force. You rarely see a police officer get a traffic ticket - they look after each other. Likewise, talking on mobiles, speeding, illegal parking etc., etc. is common place for police officers and when challenged, naturally they were always enroute to a job or some emergency situation and the usual response is "Oh..... thats okay then". The reality is that a sizeable proportion of police simply believe that they are above the laws that they, themselves are tasked to enforce.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Police and mobile phones

Post by Perrorist » 30 May 2018, 17:35

Unfortunately true.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 30 May 2018, 19:51

Yes. Many consider themselves above the law. Fortunately not all do.
I dream, therefore I am.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 02 Jun 2018, 13:01

This isn't new..... it's been going on for many years and it's something I'm really pissed off with.
You or I can be fined heavily if caught, not only using a mobile phone whilst driving...but just touching it !
Grrrr !
The NSW Police defend the use of mobiles by police officers whilst driving because they are "specially trained".
What a bloody load of crap !
That Police officer may well be just 20 years of age, fresh out of the training academy.
So... this young bloke or Sheila cop, who has been driving for just two or three years, has the "special training and on road experience" to use the phone ?...
...and I can't ?.... after driving for 57 years without a blemish, driving infringement or even a parking ticket ?
C'mon..... gimee a break !

.....and another thing, if you look at a Police Highway Patrol car, you will see a total of seven antennas of various descriptions placed on the roof of the car.
That car interior is chock-a-block full of communications equipment ranging from the two way radio, sometimes two radios, data base computer, radar, numberplate recognition software, ...
and of course, the mobile phone.
...and it's OK ?
Not in my books it ain't !
:kiss_my_bum: :kiss_my_bum: :kiss_my_bum:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 02 Jun 2018, 14:57

It might not be so bad if our police only used their exemptions and privileges for work purposes, but they DONT. They see it as their right to speed, drink drive, use mobile phones etc as if these laws simply dont apply to them.