Uniting Church votes to perform same sex marriages

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Uniting Church votes to perform same sex marriages

Post by Warrigal » 14 Jul 2018, 19:03

Uniting Church clergy are now able to perform marriage ceremonies for same sex couples. They are not required to do so against their conscience or beliefs, nor do they have to ask permission to officiate if they want to.

For this decision to have been arrived at there had to be clear support at the National Assembly meeting because decisions are made by consensus rather than by simply counting votes.

https://crosslight.org.au/2018/07/13/fr ... -marriage/
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Uniting Church votes to perform same sex marriages

Post by kfchugo » 14 Jul 2018, 22:53

A very sensible and forward thinking decision. Churches of all denominations (including Islam) need to embrace change, move with the times and be more inclusive of humanity's diversity. :bear_hug

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Jul 2018, 08:57

Excellent move.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 15 Jul 2018, 15:18

My congregation is currently without a minister but the one we have invited who is coming in September has been selected because he is a progressive. I'm pretty sure he will be performing SSM ceremonies but I doubt that too many will want to be married in our very unphotogenic church building.

Our last minister would also have agreed but at that time SSM was not yet legal.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Uniting Church votes to perform same sex marriagees

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Jul 2018, 15:58

Although Towards a Quaker view of sex wan't printed until 1963, already 58 years ago, the attitude of supporting any relationship that was loving, caring, and committed, was prevalent long before that, though not held by all..Australian Quakers made their own statement 43 years ago.
In 1963, the booklet Towards a Quaker view of sex stated, "It is the nature and quality of a relationship that matters… the same criteria seem to us to apply whether a relationship is heterosexual or homosexual."
Quakers in Australia are overwhelmingly accepting of homosexuality and will celebrate same sex marriages as they would an opposite sex marriage. In 1975 Australia Yearly Meeting officially stated:
The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Australia calls for a change in the laws ... to eliminate discrimination against homosexuals. This statement is made in the light of the Society's desire to remove discrimination and persecution in the community. The Society also calls on all people to seek more knowledge and understanding of the diversity of human relationships and to affirm the worth of love in all of them.

Australian Quakers have supported the celebration of same sex and different sex commitment ceremonies since 1994 and recognize them on an equal basis with other committed and loving relationships. In January 2010, Quakers meeting in Australia Yearly Meeting in Adelaide agreed to treat all requests for marriages in accordance with Quaker traditions, regardless of the sexual orientation or gender of the partners.[2] Before this Australia-wide decision, Canberra Regional Meeting celebrated the first same sex marriage among Australian Quakers on 15 April 2007.[3] The most recent information pamphlet as a.pdf can be downloaded from [4] www.quakers.org.au.
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 15 Jul 2018, 23:09

It is perhaps just a co-incidence but both the Society of Friends and the Uniting Church are not traditional hierarchical organisations.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 Jul 2018, 12:36

Good thought! :happy-sunshine:
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Jul 2018, 15:01

I really love you people

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Jul 2018, 15:04

Yhis means a great deal to Christain
gay people

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 18 Jul 2018, 22:57

Do you know that the Uniting Church in Australia already recognises and ordains gay men and women ?

There are some presbyteries that are conservative and it is unlikely that they would approve a candidate for ministry if he/she was openly gay but there are other presbyteries where this is not a barrier. The only questions asked are whether their calling is genuine and are they in "right relationship" with their partner. The same questions apply to straight candidates.

When this question was being debated about 20 years ago there was no consensus. Some people, notably those that tend to take the scriptures very literally, were implacably opposed while other more progressive people looked carefully at the texts and decided that it isn't the orientation that is the problem, it is a promiscuous and hedonistic lifestyle, hence the requirement that relationships need to be loving and faithful regardless of gender attraction.

The compromise solution was to allow presbyteries to make independent decisions, knowing that gay people would be able to find a pathway to ordination. Even before that there were a number of openly gay clergy but they came out after ordination.

One of these was Dorothy Mcrae McMahon. She has since retired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_McRae-McMahon
Last edited by Warrigal on 18 Jul 2018, 23:03, edited 2 times in total.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 19 Jul 2018, 10:12

What a wonderfully informative post and thank you for this informormation.
I think you know my religious views but ai hav been very impressed by you and many Chritain people.
W do a git of counselling to young gays and several are dismayed and deeply hurt byhow their church hurt and rejected them.
The united church has long been miles ahead.
I admire you very much Warrigal.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 19 Jul 2018, 12:58

Thanks Perry. I have been hoping to soften your blanket disapproval of all religion.

I will let you know when the first SSM ceremony is performed by our new minister although I expect it will not be performed in our church building due to its ugliness. We haven't had a wedding for years.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 19 Jul 2018, 14:20

Actually, that was Mavis. I don't have a blanket disapproval of all religion. I'm irreligious, not anti-religious. People can please themselves what they believe in, as long as they don't impinge on my freedom to remain as I am.

However, I share Mavis's admiration of you.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 19 Jul 2018, 23:18

Thanks Perry, and also Mavis.

We live in a post Christian world in Australia. Church attendance is dwindling and faithful attendees are dying off.
This is not necessarily a bad thing - new wine needs new wine skins.

I won't be around to see what develops because I will not be around that long but I hope the core teachings of Jesus continue to influence long after the last church building is sold off.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Jul 2018, 17:15

Not a fan of the Bible, particularly the O.T. , yet acknowledge it contains much quotable wisdom. We have no problem quoting Shakespeare, often without even realising it. Why not the Bible?
“I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.” (Jer 31:33-34)
https://escapetoreality.org/2015/04/23/ ... ur-hearts/

International Standard Version
No longer will a person teach his neighbor or his relative: 'Know the LORD.' Instead, they'll all know me, from the least to the greatest of them," declares the LORD. "Indeed, I'll forgive their iniquity, and I'll remember their sin no more."
http://biblehub.com/jeremiah/31-34.htm
We have direct knowledge of God. Here’s what the Lord said in Jeremiah 31:34 –"No longer shall they teach one another, or say to each other 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest." I guess preachers will be out of a job! You won’t need me as some kind of mediator telling you about God, because you will know God for yourself. The Hebrew word for “know” here is the same word used in “Adam knew Eve his wife and she conceived.” It means an intimate personal knowledge that is only possible when two persons are committed to one another. With God, to know him is to love him.

All of my people will know me, he says – from the person with an IQ of 70 to the person with 140, from the person of no influence to the power broker, from the youngest to the oldest. They will all know me.
https://www.blockislandtimes.com/affili ... arts/47895

It’s not just Jeremiah prophesying these things, you can see Isaiah 11:9, Hosea 2:20, Micah 7:18, Habakkuk 2:14, in the OT, and emphasised by the NT writers.

It was also pointed out to me that forgiveness is not like "I'll forgive you, but I'll never forget what you did." Forgetfulness is also promised. Just as you might forget the time your 2yr old tipped corn flakes over the cat.
I dream, therefore I am.