Discriminatory marketing/selling

Are we being treated like human beings by our Corporate Captains? Have they heard of the word 'compassion' or is greed the guiding light for them?

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

godfather
Diamond Member

Discriminatory marketing/selling

Post by godfather » 16 Feb 2014, 21:03

I had a slight run-in with one of Woollies managers and the new ANNERLEY store in Queensland on Thursday.
The store is only a couple of weeks old and sits at a similar distance to my usual source Coles.
So, I took a scouting tour through the setup and pick out a couple or more bargains......I thought.

After some 30 minutes I had seen enough and decided to buy 1 kg Bornhoffen Yoghurt @ $4.79 and a 200 gr block of Whittaker dark chocolate @ $3.00, both seemed to priced just right.....in my opinion.
Since I had a couple of other jobs to attend to I quickly grabbed my purchase and drove to the next shop for something else.
When arriving home and unpacked I had a look at my Woolworth receipt and noticed that the yoghurt was charged @ $6.23 and the chocolate @ $4.29 and my residue of hair started to stand up in anger.
It was late and I couldn't be bothered to drive back but confronted the store manager on Friday morning.

The explanation was really quite simple (in the manager's opinion) as he explained that the lower prices would apply if I had a Woollies store loyalty card, which I don't have.
I took him to the two shelves from where I had taken the products and showed him the price tags, which I also photographed at the same time in his presence without asking for his permission.
I haven't downloaded the fotos yet but the lower price was clearly at eye level in big, bold print and well below in very small print it showed the "normal price" for unsuspecting customers of my age stating the costs of the products without
having a loyalty card. So, I told my manager friend what I thought about Woollies, and he then offered me my money back for the goods. I did not take that option because half of the chocolate and part of the yoghurt were already in my intestines.

My question to our learned members is this: Is such a practice misleading or trying to deceive the customer, or is it just one of those new marketing techniques to extract as much as possible from the innocent customer?

Firstly, I want to warn others not to fall for such a cheap trick, and secondly I wish to take this matter further if there is sufficient evidence from others that we are being robbed in every which way?

My first impression of him offering me money indicated to me that he knew it was a very underhanded method to fool those who are not observant, in other words, it was deceit from the word go.

Your opinions please.

:text-thankyou: :text-thankyou: :text-thankyou:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: Discriminatory marketing/selling

Post by Buck_naked » 16 Feb 2014, 21:33

No such pricing at woolies in Gympie, if the sticker says $4.00 that's what you pay.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 16 Feb 2014, 22:28

Thanks Godfather .... have advised the chancellor of the exchequer. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 17 Feb 2014, 09:00

I have been a Coles customer from the time I came to Australia. On the very rare occasion that I might pop into woolworths I get the feeling I am going to regret this.

I was looking for some Hass Avocadoes recently and saw some at thevery reasonable price of 3 for $4.00......but the store clerk had obviously missed the Hass price tag stating' 4 for $3.00.....when I pointed out the error the store clerk threw a tantrum and stormed off in a huff , but I complained at the checkout and they had to refund my money and I got them for nothing.

Woolworths does not impress me at all so I will stick to Coles and feel comfortable.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 17 Feb 2014, 09:31

To true Maggs baby i find the older i get the more i am
inclined to question things, :wink in fact i enjoy it.

I was always under the impression good being sold had to have
the price displayed so the public can decide whether to buy or
not, we have a bakery the only one in the area who do not show
the price on their product, they deal in most part with tourist and
they rip them off, they rely on people taking the product once they
have put it on the counter well not this little black duck. :wink

I take great pleasure in asking the price then say i'm not paying that
i can get it cheaper in Sydney. :- :- greedy bastards. :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 17 Feb 2014, 10:59

I would ring Woolies Head office & complain. If they have that price on the shelf where you got the item they are obligated to give it to you at that price, :handgestures-thumbsupright:
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 17 Feb 2014, 12:13

Pretty sure my Woolies does something similar - I have noticed it come up on the docket at the end of the transaction - I do have a loyalty card and everynow and then a $10 gift card appears in the mail which is nice and they actually sent me a letter saying they had missed me and offered me extra bonus points on my next $50 shop. However since Coles has finally reopened after the rebuild after 2011 floods here I find it more convenient to go there - Not sure they are cheaper though but I do notice with more frequency than Woolies that $10 gets dropped off the docket as a result of their flybuy points - their fuel voucher is of no use at all to me as their garages are miles and miles away from the actual Ipswich cbd area, and Woolies fuel doesn't impress me after picking up a tankful of a lot of water that caused the Nissan to be a tow job and cost a few hundred to fix - and their response to my complaint was far from satisfactory at that time. I stick with the independant and have to say that Aldi's is my shop of choice - I save between $30 and $40 every grocery shop with them - only frequenting Woolies/Coles about every 3rd shop and that to pick up the dog biscuits that my girls have that Aldi's doesn't sell
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 17 Feb 2014, 16:43

I refuse loyalty cards and don't check my receipts.
I will now to see whether my local Woolies are trying this trick.

Most of the time now I go to Aldi because I dislike the Woolworths/Coles duopoly.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 17 Feb 2014, 21:27

I have now uploaded the two photos for all to see the disgraceful deceit by Woolies.
Take into account that the photos are 'close ups' and not taken at normal eye distance.
They clearly show that Woollies are out to deceive us whenever possible.
Woollies chocolate.jpg
Woollies yoghurt.jpg
Will try and write to their HQ and hope to get some clarifications.

:flaming_mad :flaming_mad :flaming_mad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 17 Feb 2014, 21:32

the information in the rewards card must be very valuable, - they can study you like a lab rat, study what you buy, how pricing affects your choices, etc, blah blah blah.
Borg.drone.comply.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 17 Feb 2014, 22:18

Four Corners. Where are you? think-smiley
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 18 Feb 2014, 10:39

I try to buy as many of Australian products as far as possible.Unless Aldi has something that is much cheaper & is made in Australia,I try to avoid the place,with it's Cornflakes from Germany,foods from NZ that probably originated in China (fertilized with human excrement)Dick Smith's products are fine,ingredients Australian & any profits given to charity(even if one has to pay a little extra,quality before quantity every time!)

Mahalia

Post by Mahalia » 18 Feb 2014, 15:43

I've shared the piccy on my FB page - only way to grab peoples attention these days. :wave
The Scribbly Bark Poet

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 18 Feb 2014, 18:49

A lot of the Aldi food is now sourced in Oz, Teddy.
At least the fresh food is.

I do seem to remember seeing something on TV about the colour coding of Woolies price tickets.
Have a look on their website to see if the codes are explained there.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Mahalia

Post by Mahalia » 18 Feb 2014, 20:59

I noticed tonight that the latest Woolies ad is pretty well detailing this accurately - telling people to look for the 3 individual shelf marking tags and what they mean to the purchaser. That may or may not be coincidental
The Scribbly Bark Poet