Aldi

Are we being treated like human beings by our Corporate Captains? Have they heard of the word 'compassion' or is greed the guiding light for them?

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Aldi

Post by Dreamweaver » 01 Aug 2013, 11:41

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (JTA) — The German international supermarket chain Aldi has begun boycotting products from Israeli settlements.

According to an article Monday in the Amsterdam-based Trouw daily, a spokesperson for the Aldi chain confirmed to the paper that it recently began boycotting settler goods because Aldi “does not wish its products to become the subject of controversy.”

Aldi has stores in 16 European countries as well as in the United States and Australia. The article in Trouw did not say whether Aldi’s policy on goods from the West Bank, eastern Jerusalem and the Golan Heights applied only in the Netherlands or applied as well to its other international branches.

Hoogvliet, a smaller Dutch competitor, also said it was boycotting settler goods and a third Dutch network, Jumbo, said it has taken steps to ensure that products bearing its own brand contain no settler goods. Jumbo sells toilet paper, meat, jam and other products under its brand.

Jumbo also said it has asked suppliers of products that are labeled as originating from Israel to provide official documents confirming that the products are not from the West Bank “because the client has a right to receive accurate information,” a Jumbo spokesperson said.

In March, Holland’s Ministry of Economic Affairs advised stores that sell products from Israeli settlements to replace “Made in Israel” labels on the products with a label reading “Product from Israeli settlement (West Bank/Golan Heights/East Jerusalem).”

On July 19, the European Commission adopted new guidelines that prohibit EU institutions from giving awards and grants to entities in those areas. The European Union has said it considers Israeli settlements there to be illegal under international law.

Other supermarket chains in the Netherlands, including Albert Heijn, which has 850 stores, say they have no special policy on products shipped from Israel.

Read more: http://www.jta.org/2013/07/22/news-opin ... z2ag3rPg2H

Teddy
Diamond Member

Re: Aldi

Post by Teddy » 01 Aug 2013, 12:10

When Aldi stops selling food products from China,where human excrement is used for fertilizer! :yuk
Selling Cornflakes in Australia that come from Germany (even cheaper)how about Australian Farmers ,who are having a tough time (as on our forum recently where we could contribute to "Buying a Bale," to help Aussie farmers)!(We know other Supermarkets sell stuff' from China,but the post is re Aldi!) :flaming_mad

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 01 Aug 2013, 20:14

Agree Teddy, I am always looking where their canned products come from.
If it is vegetables canned in Chine or NZ I'll give it a wide berth, despite them being very much cheaper.

These days they (all supermarkets) show the origin of the contents as "made from local and imported products" or similar.
That's pretty useless because it doesn't give you a clue where the stuff originated!

Bad and sad. I think labeling laws should be more specific!

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 02 Aug 2013, 08:36

Agree with you there GF!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Aug 2013, 09:32

Teddy wrote:When Aldi stops selling food products from China,where human excrement is used for fertilizer! :yuk
Selling Cornflakes in Australia that come from Germany (even cheaper)how about Australian Farmers ,who are having a tough time (as on our forum recently where we could contribute to "Buying a Bale," to help Aussie farmers)!(We know other Supermarkets sell stuff' from China,but the post is re Aldi!) :flaming_mad
Not just Aldi, but Safeway and Coles are guilty too.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 02 Aug 2013, 15:39

Dreamweaver wrote:
Teddy wrote:When Aldi stops selling food products from China,where human excrement is used for fertilizer! :yuk
Not just Aldi, but Safeway and Coles are guilty too.
Don't leave out WOOLIES. I was in there yesterday, looking for steredent denture tablets. The only one I could see on the shelf was ISELECT.
Seeing that I had puchased them at thei wooLies before I asked one of the staff. Who said "If you don't see it there you'll have to go somewhere else" :flaming_mad :flaming_mad
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 02 Aug 2013, 19:46

Biggdad, isn't 'Iselect' Woolies own brand?

I believe that you will find more and more of their own brands on the shelves now.
They are a few cents cheaper and probably made by the same company as are the Steradent ones.

I went and bought a new supply of Odourless Fishoil capsules yesterday. 400 x 1000 mg labelled "Bioglan" for $14.00!
In competition there were "Blackmore" @ $21.50 and "Nature's Own" @ 23.20....quite a large difference.

When I checked the labels in more details, I found that all were made by the same people at the same address.

Please explain....if anyone can.

think-smiley think-smiley think-smiley
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 02 Aug 2013, 19:47

Strewth i wondered what that smell was i thought for
a minute i had sh/t myself. :wink
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 02 Aug 2013, 20:50

grandduke wrote:Strewth i wondered what that smell was i thought for
a minute i had sh/t myself. :wink
Have you been wandering around in that tin suit again? :heeheehee
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 03 Aug 2013, 14:13

Nah GD, it was Tony going past your place on his morning bike ride!

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 03 Aug 2013, 17:25

Oh thanks GF.

Tin suit gone big Daddy Monk. :nahnahnah :nahnahnah
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Booga
Bronze Member

Post by Booga » 03 Aug 2013, 19:27

Generics have been around for years most would remember Mountain Maid Peas well they were all the uniform ones and all the rest went into SnoMaid . The same applies to home brand mixed nuts ect just not so many of the expensive nuts like cashews in them so they can sell them cheaper.

The move to brands like I select is only to make them more presentable to the public as home brands had a bad reputation.

Just about all are made by the same suppliers but without all the dressy labels of advertising to make them cheaper.

It is all based on volume, I was a grocery buyer for 15 years and your draw would drop if you seen the cooperative charges the chains charge for promotions eg end displays ect.

Cheers Bob
Love is the need to be needed

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 03 Aug 2013, 19:57

I believe they also charge the producers where their goods are displayed, ie. bottom, middle and/or upper shelves.
A long time ago in S.A. I used to sell Woolies fresh fruits from some Adelaide Hills growers cooperatives, like apples, pears, strawberries, cherries etc.
Initially their buyers would come up to the plants to look at the fruits and decide the prices for specific quantities. We got them hooked and they wouldn't
buy local fruit from anybody else. We even put thousands of cases of apples into Controlled Atmosphere storage for them to cover the off season.
After 2 years the Coop decided that it was their turn now to set the prices. And they did. What a bun fight for a few days before Woolies gave in and paid up.
They can be beaten down but you really need a very exceptional product to do so.

I have noticed that Aldi's fruit and vegetables are not as good as they were when they started. Still, their prices are very reasonable even for 2nd grade produce.
Cavendish bananas today were $1.69/kg whereas Coles were $2.54/kg. That's a big difference for the very same fruit.

:handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright: