Food retailers

Are we being treated like human beings by our Corporate Captains? Have they heard of the word 'compassion' or is greed the guiding light for them?

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Food retailers

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Aug 2013, 18:54

“With one of the most concentrated food retail sectors in the world dominated by the supermarket duopoly, the barriers to making it easy to buy local food in Australia are significant. It is time for Australia to learn from the example of other countries and provide assistance to rebuild local food systems.”
http://theconversation.com/factcheck-is ... orld-16520

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: Food retailers

Post by godfather » 12 Aug 2013, 21:30

Thanks DW for the example.
It looks very overwhelming for Woolies & Coles when it is shown in a presentation as above.
It is necessary that Australia sharpens its act quickly and before it is too late. Think we have missed the bus already!

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 12 Aug 2013, 21:58

Would American style anti-trust legislation work here? think-smiley
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 12 Aug 2013, 23:19

Those graphs only apply to food.
We need also to consider the encroachment of the big two into other areas such as petrol, liquor, poker machines and hardware.
We have lost all of our small local hardware shops and the independent petrol stations are rapidly disappearing too.
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 13 Aug 2013, 07:56

Yes but what are the state and federal governments doing
about it...nothing because they are making a motsa in taxes
out of them. :hitting_wall
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 13 Aug 2013, 08:29

OMG that's even worse than I thought it was - if Australians don't wake up to themselves and start supporting their local farmers which means not supporting the big 2 they are going to be in so much trouble in a few years they won't know which way their backside is pointing. Once OUR food producers not suppliers but PRODUCERS have been driven out of business and off their farms who you gonna call? Once the monopoly is with the big 2 and it looks like it already is almost then they will charge you what they like for everything from food, vegies, meat, grog and petrol and what are Australians going to do then. Too bloody late to whinge about when we have nowhere else to turn to.

So you might pay a few dollars more for your milk if you support a local dairy and bypass the $1 a litre milk. Buy your veggies and meat from independents or better yet go to the farmers markets or roadside stalls of local growers in your area. It's not all about the $$$$ you have to outlay for your food - but it is all about ensuring that the food is there for you to spend your $$$$ on and homegrown Australian tucker is the best and safest to purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nVVMphZkrJs
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 13 Aug 2013, 15:00

But first you have to get the public to work together.

An impossibility i'm afraid. 8-[ 8-[
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 13 Aug 2013, 15:42

I don't think young people have the time or the inclination to shop around. They want to get it all in one place at the cheapest price. I'm not optimistic about seeing any changes.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Aug 2013, 17:28

An NQR (Not Quite Retail) outlet has opened near me. They sell grocery seconds. I bought 3 bags of groceries, thought they were charging me $60 plus, which I could hardly believe, but it was $16 plus. I could hardly believe that either! :happy-sunshine:

Here is a list of what they have in store at present, but it changes frequently. http://www.nqr.com.au/online-store

You can also order online for home delivery.
What shipping charge will apply to my order?

This is determined by the amount of stock you order. We currently are using a range of delivery companies. We provide flat rates for orders up to 10kgs. Above 10kgs there is an additional charge per kg. This is calculated at checkout.

Metro - $12 (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide).

Regional Areas (including Perth and Hobart) - $15.
Rural Areas - $35
You won't find a store near you unless you live in Victoria, but on-line services the whole Eastern seaboard at the same rate.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 13 Aug 2013, 19:03

Hell dreams that's some organisation but how do we get produce
to Queensland from Victoria, anyway i have emailed them, yehaa
bugger Coles and Woolworths, IGA and foodworks.
George Bernard Shaw

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Aug 2013, 19:20

Very good idea and they should do well. Hope that they will extend to cover other areas like Qld as well.

GD, hope you'll let us know the results from your contact with NQR. Tx mate!

:handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 13 Aug 2013, 20:59

Will do lad. :wink
George Bernard Shaw

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 13 Aug 2013, 23:43

Looks great and I think I could save a fair bit of money but that $35 rural freight charge is definitely inhibiting! Pity!

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 14 Aug 2013, 09:07

grandduke wrote:Will do lad. :wink
Yes please GD? :biggrin: