Only little people pay tax.

Are we being treated like human beings by our Corporate Captains? Have they heard of the word 'compassion' or is greed the guiding light for them?

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Only little people pay tax.

Post by grandduke » 21 Sep 2013, 16:41

Magg's me love my favourite Aussie saying 10 out of 10.

Sir Walter, yes we can thank another Liberal for that
John Howard and they are circling it again.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 21 Sep 2013, 23:47

The GST should be increased and levied on everything .... health, education, fresh food ... the lot. As it stands it's not effective. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 22 Sep 2013, 07:01

It has a rather large effect on pensioners and those on low incomes,
see lad you as a true liberal have no regard for the lowly, under privileged,
classes where labour does. :wink
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 22 Sep 2013, 18:47

Low income earners would be compensated, just like Howard and Costello did. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Sep 2013, 19:15

The GST was a coalition proposal, the low income compensation was not. That was due to Meg Lees - and the only way they could get the tax passed! :hitting_wall
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 22 Sep 2013, 19:21

Increase the GST by 2% and exclude Pensioners and low income people from any GST by issuing a card or mark their Health Care cards accordingly.
That will do for sure and very easy, but not for a Conservative government.

:flaming_mad :flaming_mad :flaming_mad
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 22 Sep 2013, 20:17

Instead of teaming Howard and Costello, I think they should team Abbot and Costello. Could be a great career move!!?

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 22 Sep 2013, 22:00

donander wrote:Low income earners would be compensated, just like Howard and Costello did. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
Given that low income earners spend a greater proportion of their income on food, I would hope so, otherwise it will literally be taking the food out of the mouths of babes and paupers.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 22 Sep 2013, 22:02

Dreamweaver wrote:The GST was a coalition proposal, the low income compensation was not. That was due to Meg Lees - and the only way they could get the tax passed! :hitting_wall
Selective memory, DW ?? Lees & the Democrats were the architects of the exclusion some goods and services from the GST, a very bad choice but the only way to get the legislation through !!!

Compensation was ALWAYS part of the Howard/Costello plan, ALWAYS !!

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 23 Sep 2013, 08:13

Read this everybody then tell me Abbott is not walking us down
the same road to a GST increase as Howard did, has Abbott got
anything he can call his, or this governments policy, instead of
following everything John Howard did.

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~aamca/sef/gst2.htm

Stolen from another seniors forum but still facts. :-
George Bernard Shaw

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 23 Sep 2013, 15:07

Am I correct in saying that Alexander Downer was the most ineffective Liberal to ever become Prime Minister...? I am thinking he faltered at the first step and made way for Howard to grab the reins......was that engineered or what? In an ideal world no politician should cook the books so easily and I think the only thing we can do is to demand transparency on all matters politic.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 23 Sep 2013, 19:26

Maggs, to the best of my knowledge Downer was Foreign Minister but never PM!
He was and still is a bumbling old bag who thinks he is the ants pants and loves himself.

8-[ 8-[ 8-[
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 23 Sep 2013, 21:27

Maggs, Alexander Downer wasn't ever PM; he was a leader of the Liberals in opposition, a very good Foreign Minister and - now - an astute political commentator, like Graham Richardson for your side.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 24 Sep 2013, 13:05

Thanks for the info, but I am absolutely sure his tenure in something or other was of very short duration.

Soon after I arrived in Australia I was invited a to a Liberal Mystery Tour in the Adelaide Hills which started off with soup for everyone at a local pub, then on to Fish and Chips at MacLaren Vale......and so on and so on until the final meeting with Alexander Downer in a Scout hall...for the Dinner" prepared by the local Scout Group. We were there to hear about the new GST system and how it would benefit us all (!)

I could not help myself from questioning that fact that children's shoes, clothing and school uniforms,books, fees etc., etc., would be subject to GST, as none of those items were included in Britain's VAT, nor France or Germany. Oddly enough he was quite hostile to me saying Australian does not have to follow suit ! then!.....Pity he wasn't the Astute Comentator

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 24 Sep 2013, 16:56

His tenure as Opposition Leader was short but he was a long-term Foreign Minister.