Eh?

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Merri

Eh?

Post by Merri » 28 Feb 2006, 21:45

This was news 12 months ago. I wonder how soon it will be our turn?
Gene therapy is first deafness 'cure'

* 10:35 14 February 2005
* NewScientist.com news service
* Andy Coghlan

A pioneering form of gene therapy has apparently cured deafness in guinea pigs, raising hopes that the same procedure might work in people.

"It's the first time anyone has biologically repaired the hearing of animals," says Yehoash Raphael at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and head of the US-Japanese team that developed the technique.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 28 Feb 2006, 22:07

I think that they should try this technique on Bush, Blair and Howard.
Perhaps that would help them to hear their people a bit clearer!

Merri, thanks for the post. Any advances in improving the health of our fellow men (and women) is great news!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Merri

Post by Merri » 25 Aug 2006, 18:52

Good point GF! =D> =D>

Not yet for us humans but perhaps not far off, after 'years of intense and dedicated basic research'. Good to know viruses are good for something! Growing hairs inside the ears!!

From NIDCD (National Institute for Deaf ? ? )
If an individual’s hearing loss is due to hair cell death, the only way to restore normal hearing is to replace the lost hair cells. However, under normal circumstances, mammals cannot replace hair cells. Due to years of intense and dedicated basic research, we now know some of the many genes important for ear development and hearing. How can we use this information to help those who are deaf?

Hijacking a Virus for a Good Cause – Gene Therapy. Viruses that have been altered to remove disease-causing elements and to include a gene of interest are a useful way for scientists to “deliver” genes to cells and tissues – the virus passes the inserted gene along when it infects the tissue. NIDCD-supported scientists at the University of Michigan used their knowledge of the ear’s gene expression programs to recruit cells in a deaf ear to become hair cells. They treated deafened guinea pig ears with a virus carrying the gene Math1/Atoh1, and found evidence that new hair cells were generated. More importantly, the treated animals showed functional evidence of partial restoration of their hearing. This is the first successful demonstration of gene therapy that improves hearing in formerly deaf animals. Scientists hope to one day use this type of gene therapy to restore hearing in humans.