Is $12,000 pa enough to live on?

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

godfather
Diamond Member

Is $12,000 pa enough to live on?

Post by godfather » 17 May 2006, 20:47

This question was posed on another forum just a few days ago. It follows a comment from one of our Government Ministers that $12,000 was enough for pensioners to live on.

How do readers respond here? (The figures are quoted as given in the original post) :

Is $12,000 dollars a year too much?

Rent at 150.00 a week....…………………..…7,800
Meat at 20.00 a week....………………….……..140
Soap at 1.00 a week....…………………….……...52
Veg at 20.00 a week....………………………..1,400
Groceries 40.00 a week....…………………..2,080
Electricity at 14.00 a week……..……………….758
Lease of water meter…………………………..…..350
Excess water 2.00 a week……………………... 104
Car rego year……………………………………….....400
Petrol 15.00 per week………………………….....780
Clothes 5.00 a week…………………………….....260
Medication 15.00 a week……………………...….780
Towels, linen etc 2.00 per week…………..….104
Car repairs, main etc 20.00 per week...1,040

TOTAL……………………………………………....…..16,048

Not counting Christmas and birthday gifts, not counting going out to movies, dinner or other entertainment, not counting savings for a rainy day"

According to the above calculations, it is far from enough.
That means all figures are 25% overcooked. Do you agree?

#-o
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 24 May 2006, 22:02

Easy peasy! Don't have a car!

Dusty
Silver Member

Post by Dusty » 01 Jun 2006, 10:30

Cant agree its easy Dawn, I manage to run my computer and go to craft by going without,, I dont buy clothes, dont dine out ,,,my choice,, I would be insane if I lost my contact with distant family and friends,my husband runs the car by doing the same,, going without something else,,,no couldn,t say it is easy peasy, I dont believe you live on the pension, you exist
I,m right into Craft, cant remember a flamin' thing

sigun

Post by sigun » 01 Jun 2006, 10:41

Agree with Dusty. It can't be easy, even when one goes without something now and again.

The above list is 25% more than the money the pension pays.
Not sure if you pay water rates or water meter when you rent somewhere, but even if you don't, it's still not enough to live on!

Food and petrol seem to be forever increasing, and that throws the theory of survival right out of the window.

No, I say that $12000 is NOT enough to live on!

:sad:

Dusty
Silver Member

Post by Dusty » 19 Jun 2006, 18:06

You are right Weary, you can cpoe day to dat , but God help you if the washing machine dies , or the fridge throws a mental ,,, you are up the well known creek without a paddle or an oar

Dusty
Silver Member

Post by Dusty » 20 Jun 2006, 09:10

Good tip, Weary, I,ll give it a try

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 21 Jun 2006, 10:06

We put all our 'gold' coins into a little jar, and at the end of the week or month, you'll be surprised how many beers or bars of chocolate you can buy from the collection!

\:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 24 Jun 2006, 16:15

Maybe my last reply was a bit glib, but I really do live on my pension. Even without a car it isn't easy, my chemist bill never seems to go down until I catch up when I go on to free near the end of the year.
And it is a lot easier if you live in a country town. I have absolutely no need for a car, the bus leaves a block and a half away. I can walk to the Dr, the cinema, BILO and the rest of the town shops. Everything is very handy for me and I have a flat that I really like, and is fully self contained, even my own laundry!
It's difficult when I have to pay the electricity and phone bill in the same month, but I have survived that for quite a few years now. I also manage to put some away in my Christmas Club every payday.
I travel usually twice a year on my free train tickets, usually to the city where I can stay with friends.
And I don't often have to go without my chocolate. But as for saving my $5 notes Weary, I am afraid I am not quite up to that one! There have been many times when I have paid little bills out of the two bob tin though!
Maybe I don't expect too much because I feel I have pretty well all I need in life! Wahey!

:grin: :grin: :grin: