Tips on living with types 1 and 2 Diabetes

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Tips on living with types 1 and 2 Diabetes

Post by mavisbramston » 09 Apr 2016, 10:01

Firstly I am not a doctor but I wanted to start a thread or add another one on tips on living with diabetes. I am sure many of us are in the same boat. I am an insulin resistant diabetic.
As I said not a doctor but I find drinking bitter melon or bitter gourd tea very good although not a miracle worker. Bitter gourd itself is great too. But make sure you know how to prepare it.
The tea should be bought in Chinese groceries not health food stores they change through the roof! At the Chinese grocers its only a couple of dollars. Can't recall exact price but nothing like the exorbitant prices at health food stores.
Drinking the tea a few times a day lowers sugars MODERATELY. I also keep cold bitter tea in my water bottle.
At first YOU WILL HATE IT! It is awful. But after a few weeks you actually develop a taste for it. It took me several weeks.
I now look forward to my comforting mug in the morning after a good walk.

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: Tips on living with types 1 and 2 Diabetes

Post by godfather » 10 Apr 2016, 20:51

Diabetes can be a very efficient killer if you do not follow almost every aspect your doctor suggests.
Don't know much about insulin resistance but have been living with D2 for several years and keeping daily checks.

:twocents-mytwocents: :twocents-mytwocents: :twocents-mytwocents:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 11 Apr 2016, 07:40

Thanks for responding. I agree follow your doctor but if all is not working don't be afraid to see an endocrinologist.
Alternatives ;like bitter melon tea are great but should not replace medication. Nearly ALL medications eventually lose their affect. Don't be scared if you have to move to insulin.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 11 Apr 2016, 07:41

Insulin resistance is increasing too. It is not the end of the world. Lots f exercise avoid sugar fatty stuff and fruit!! Fruit is FULL of sugar,
In moderation its ok.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 11 Apr 2016, 10:56

Sometimes the best drug is a Placebo.....
the mind is a powerful healer !
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 11 Apr 2016, 19:01

Mavis, I will stand corrected but do believe that the sugars in fruit are nearly harmless in D2.

D2 is more deadly if it builds up sugars above the limits the body can handle comfortably.
If you give the body some assistance with fruit sugars it will not produce more sugars itself, meaning that it can control any excess by itself.
The danger actually is the over production of sugars which are not used up by the body.

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.