A state of sweet confusion

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

A state of sweet confusion

Post by mavisbramston » 02 May 2016, 09:51

Its funny as we get older we often are amazed to find so many other sides to a view point. Yes I am very dogmatic on a few issues but the shades of grey these days are not just my hair (increasingly disappearing any way lol). Probably its healthy to see validity in all points of view and wander around confused .
Harder to vote these days...not everything I believe in is found in the one party.
What do folks think?
Perhaps there is truth in behold we know not nothing yet. Mmmm I wonder who said that?

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Re: A state of sweet confusion

Post by terra » 02 May 2016, 10:43

Have to agree with you Mavis !

At the moment, I'm absolutely bewildered because I certainly don't want the Liberals to gain a second term to slash & burn..... and yet the Labors alternative doesn't tick all the boxes either.
:thinking:
If the Federal Election was held tomorrow, I wouldn't want to vote for either of them.
Maybe a third party combining the best points of Liberal and Labor ?....(no, not the Greens)
:sad:
Last edited by terra on 02 May 2016, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 May 2016, 10:48

Why not the Greens, terra?

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 02 May 2016, 10:52

Every politician on appointment to office should be compelled
to face the cameras with this statement the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth
used to emphasize the absolute veracity of a statement. part of a statement sworn by witnesses in court. But some lawyers not all lie through their teeth and because we are governed by lawyers its an accepted fact they learn the art of never answering a question and if cornered lie.
I personally will never trust a profession that frames laws and language in a format they alone understand to gain maximum advantage over the common people for the sake of financial gain. That is my view any comments. :thinking:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 02 May 2016, 11:49

No confusion for me. I've voted Green for years now.

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Post by Tedwalker » 02 May 2016, 11:53

My old father in law's favourite statement regarding all politicians and counsellors was, "They're all there for their own aggrandisement".
I don't fully agree. There will always be some dedicated to the communal good, at least when they start out.
However, even those are likely to slide.
On a lighter note, I heard a politician once did something for the common good, and contrary to his own interest. It may have been accidental.
:happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 May 2016, 12:22

My wife was speaking to an old bloke yesterday. He said he would be voting Labor, as he had done for years. She commented that Labor was no longer the party it used to be, and she would vote Greens. He said, "Well, I'm no longer working, so I might as well. It'll send a message perhaps."

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 02 May 2016, 13:47

Perrorist wrote:Why not the Greens, terra?
I've always had a liking for the Greens but since Christine Milne jumped ship, it doesn't appear to be the fair and unbiassed party it was.

In recent times, they seem to have sided with the Liberals on issues that blatantly went against the preferences of the greater Australian public view.

"Di Natale’s pragmatism has been on show in the 10 months since he was elected unopposed to succeed Christine Milne. The Greens have backed the government on pension cuts, corporate tax transparency measures and, last week, on changes to Senate voting rules."

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... government

Greens leader Richard Di Natale has slammed critics of windfarms, saying there is no need to investigate them."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... oner-video

"Overnight the Liberal Party and the Greens Party engaged in a backroom deal to let Australia's large private companies continue to avoid tax transparency.

Let's be very clear; the Turnbull Government has been for whatever reason desperate to see large private companies continue to avoid scrutiny and transparency when it comes to the amount of tax they pay.

Now they have a new Coalition partner in Richard Di Natale’s Greens. The Australian Greens under Richard Di Natale’s leadership are the tax transparency traitors of Australian politics, traitors to those Australians who want to see everybody paying their fair of tax.

They've become the gutless Greens."[/b]

http://www.andrewleigh.com/dodgy-libera ... y_measures

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 02 May 2016, 14:43

Is there a Tough Ruthless Bastards Party? i wish there was.
if the treasurer is not the most hated man in the country he is not doing his job properly.
Cut, slash, burn and decapitate snouts in the trough.
A balanced budget. A beautiful set of numbers. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 02 May 2016, 16:10

Bloody hell Buck !.... :wqoohoo ..... the bloody Tough Ruthless Bastards Party has been there all along and we couldn't see it ! :wqoohoo

C'mon, up you step lad !

Buck for President of the Mulder party ! :heeheehee

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 May 2016, 18:59

terra wrote:
I've always had a liking for the Greens but since Christine Milne jumped ship, it doesn't appear to be the fair and unbiassed party it was.

In recent times, they seem to have sided with the Liberals on issues that blatantly went against the preferences of the greater Australian public view.

"Di Natale’s pragmatism has been on show in the 10 months since he was elected unopposed to succeed Christine Milne. The Greens have backed the government on pension cuts, corporate tax transparency measures and, last week, on changes to Senate voting rules."

Greens leader Richard Di Natale has slammed critics of windfarms, saying there is no need to investigate them."

"Overnight the Liberal Party and the Greens Party engaged in a backroom deal to let Australia's large private companies continue to avoid tax transparency.

Let's be very clear; the Turnbull Government has been for whatever reason desperate to see large private companies continue to avoid scrutiny and transparency when it comes to the amount of tax they pay.

Now they have a new Coalition partner in Richard Di Natale’s Greens. The Australian Greens under Richard Di Natale’s leadership are the tax transparency traitors of Australian politics, traitors to those Australians who want to see everybody paying their fair of tax.

Di Natali has stated clearly that it would be highly unlikely that the Greens would enter a coalition with the LNP. "Never say never" is a realistic statement, nothing else.

Windfarms? Makes sense to me.

Senate voting reform is a long-standing Greens policy. The pension change was to restore the previous legislation, which benefited the less well-off.

I dunno what the corporate tax business is, but the Greens are all for transparency. They did agree to accept a lower level of disclosure than Labor, and that was expediency -- a case of better something than nothing. Labor kicked up a stink at the time.

All this is current Labor party propaganda, to protect their inner-city seats from the Greens.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 03 May 2016, 09:37

I have throughly enjotyed reading your posts ladies and gentlemen from all sides.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 03 May 2016, 11:49

Perrorist wrote:
terra wrote:

Di Natali has stated clearly that it would be highly unlikely that the Greens would enter a coalition with the LNP. "Never say never" is a realistic statement, nothing else.

Windfarms? Makes sense to me.

Senate voting reform is a long-standing Greens policy. The pension change was to restore the previous legislation, which benefited the less well-off.

I dunno what the corporate tax business is, but the Greens are all for transparency. They did agree to accept a lower level of disclosure than Labor, and that was expediency -- a case of better something than nothing. Labor kicked up a stink at the time.

All this is current Labor party propaganda, to protect their inner-city seats from the Greens.
Geez Perry..... I'm so confused now !
I always believed that the Greens were there to be the great equaliser.... to keep the bastards honest and so on :thinking:

After reading more about the Greens (online of course), I'm still bewildered. There seems to be just as many "fors" as "against". It just depends on what particular source I consulted and there are many biassed and unbiassed sources.
:thinking:

Stay tuned.... I'll do some more homework today ! :twocents-mytwocents:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 May 2016, 15:11

Terra, I am the way and the truth and the life of the party -- the Greens party, that is. I would never knowingly lie to you.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 03 May 2016, 17:12

"trust me" !

:heeheehee

thanks brother Perry !... all the best to you and your daughter for the forthcoming elections. :bear_hug :wqoohoo