Age pension rates

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Age pension rates

Post by kfchugo » 01 Jun 2016, 10:12

Fair work Australia recently announced an increase in the minimum wage, putting it well in front of the age pension (where it has always been). There has been some discussion that increases to the age pension have been significantly lower than increases to the minimum wage for many years now and some would argue that the pension should be set to equal the minimum wage. I dont agree with that particular opinion but I do subscribe to the view that the pension is too low and that our seniors ought to have a pension that affords them some level of dignity and comfort in old age.
Successive governments have always squealed that the just cant afford it, but they can always afford anything else they WANT to do.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Age pension rates

Post by grandduke » 01 Jun 2016, 10:28

Hugo, there appears to be a mind set against any kind
of welfare in Australian politics in my view, yet its the
governments responsibility to look after those least able
to survive.
snippet,A welfare state is a concept of government in which the state plays a key role in the protection and promotion of the social and economic well-being of its citizens. Australia while it provides this does so under duress at least at a conservative level i won’t tar labor and the greens with that brush. :thinking:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 01 Jun 2016, 19:48

Pensioners get a pay rise every 6 months.-indexation. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 01 Jun 2016, 21:42

And means testing is a low act after you have contributed all your life.
Now i’m off tomorrow like a brides nighty won’t be back
for 13 days its Daughter,and partner, and the Grand daughter,
time yippee. :wqoohoo :wqoohoo
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 02 Jun 2016, 10:45

AWOL? in the middle of a war?
who will defend the hard hats??
SCO-Mo has just launched another attack.
the top hats have struck back. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 02 Jun 2016, 15:07

At least he is only using surnames now,Buck. :wqoohoo :wqoohoo
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Jun 2016, 17:44

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 02 Jun 2016, 22:09

some are getting a handsome payrise in January 2017:
A spokeswoman for the social services minister, Christian Porter, said under the new system more than 170,000 pensioners with only modest levels of assets would have their pensions increased by about $30 a fortnight from January 2017.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 03 Jun 2016, 11:42

AMP is already advising people on how to 'trim their assets" to beat the tests....hmmmm

https://www.amp.com.au/news/2016/may/ch ... ssets-test

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 11 Jun 2016, 11:16

I saw a report recently, didnt keep the link but think it was from some agency of the U.N. It said that Australia is one of the meanest nations in its treatment of pensioners of all the developed countries. Only Mexico and one other paid their pensioners less as a percentage of GDP. Doesnt matter who is in government, we pensioners get shafted - its enough to make one vote informal.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Jun 2016, 19:48

Our pension rate doesn't tell the whole story. Within that there is a gradation that brings extra freebies to those in need. If you count the cost of these extra entitlements we are way up there. For instance, I have a Home Care Package, for which I deem myself very fortunate. :happy-sunshine: