Homes

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Homes

Post by mavisbramston » 08 Jul 2016, 21:39

I suppose this is a familiar topic but went to visit an old friend in her nursing home today and she lives in her room. This is one of the better homes but its still awful. She is mentally alert but the lunch room upstairs is full of poor souls with serious dementia and my friend cant handle it. We were there when her lunch came. It was almost inedible. Cold and revolting. Fr.ozen fish, tinned peas and I know they were instant mash. Should i say something to her family.?

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: Homes

Post by mavisbramston » 08 Jul 2016, 21:58

Her family have power of attorney. She wants to get back into her own home. She is one smart old lady. She got laywers and is going back home.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 08 Jul 2016, 23:48

There is a lot of help about now for those of us wanting to live at home. Helpers can be there frequently for showering, dressing, medication etc, meals on wheels arrive, there is transport to appointments, social support people can take you out and about, cleaners come in, and if you pass the Aged Care and Assessment tests you could be eligible for government funding to cover any of this you need.
:icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 09 Jul 2016, 07:54

From all accounts and in my opinion its essential
we remain in our homes with help if need be
because of the physical and spiritual ties with it.

Does that make sense, i base that on the pressing
need to get home after my recent illness because
in some way i would recover better being in familiar
surroundings.
give me your views please maybe the ladies have a different
view on it i assume.? :thinking:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 09 Jul 2016, 09:00

There is much to be gained from being in familiar surroundings. I doubt I'll go into a home. My wife certainly wouldn't entertain the idea. She's adamant she'll buy a one-way ticket to Switzerland.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 09 Jul 2016, 09:04

How did she end up in a 'nursing home'?
I thought they were for people on their last legs, dead man walking.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 09 Jul 2016, 09:14

I have a daughter who loves me and "cares deeply" about my wellbeing, but I dont kid myself. I would only need to cough and leave a "skid mark" in my undies and she would be carping that I am incontinent and unable to care for myself - into a "home" for me. Many people who even look like becoming a burden to family are quickly bundled off (often against their will) into "care accommodation". They may eventually get me into one, but it will be after heaps of kicking and screaming and they will at least know that they have been in a fight.
:wqoohoo

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 09 Jul 2016, 09:29

:heeheehee :heeheehee then Hugo all i can add to your
discourse is (drum roll) :heeheehee :heeheehee beware
the of the dreaded skid mark. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 09 Jul 2016, 10:04

Buck the lady is mentally alert however she is extremey obese and has a few health issues . She can walk a little but its hard. She lived wih one of her daughters who caredfor her and recieved a carers allowance. This girl is lovely but for reasons too long to go into is almost unemployable. The two other siblings were her nominated power of attorney.
They forced the issue of putting her into the home because if she fell it would be hard to get her up.
I keep out of thewhole issue but personally I think she was better off in a home. The daughter who cared for her is struggling on the dole. She daughter who was the carer activelyy looks for work but because of her weight and vry few skills is knocked back. THe carers alowance helped her out.
Any way she has a good lawyer and is actually taking POA away from the kids.
I can see the point on both sides but keep out.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 09 Jul 2016, 10:39

If she is eligible for a Home Care Package, it wold be administered by an organisation, she would have a case manager who would be responsible for everything a 'Carer,' usually a family member, does. There are many reasons a family member is not a good solution, from the tendency for getting burned out themselves, to complete neglect of doing what they get their allowance for.

There is a big difference too between a nursing home and an aged care hostel, although some places have both facilities, just with different 'levels of care. A hostel is low care, a nursing home high care.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 09 Jul 2016, 12:26

Thank you very much dreamw

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 09 Jul 2016, 13:06

grandduke wrote:From all accounts and in my opinion its essential
we remain in our homes with help if need be
because of the physical and spiritual ties with it.

Does that make sense, i base that on the pressing
need to get home after my recent illness because
in some way i would recover better being in familiar
surroundings.
give me your views please maybe the ladies have a different
view on it i assume.? :thinking:
"There's no place like home" :wqoohoo

......home is where the heart is !
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 09 Jul 2016, 18:30

Hubby and I have discussed this. I have told him that if he becomes immobile, because of his size I will be unable to care for him properly by myself at home. Rather than wait for intermittent carers to visit for a shower two or three times a week I would go into a hostel with him. Until that day we will both remain in our home because it is well designed for old age, even though we built it 50 years ago.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 10 Jul 2016, 10:28

I wonder if transgender and same sex couples have rights here.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Jul 2016, 13:11

mavisbramston wrote:I wonder if transgender and same sex couples have rights here.
I don't know about hostels, which are classed as low care, but where I am - in a rental unit in a retirement village, which is classed as independent living - - there would be no problem at all. I feel we have the best of both worlds here, remaining indepedndent to the extent we wish. We can have 1, 2 or 3 meals provided daily. We can have company when we want without being herded into it when we don't. We have 2 roomed units with kitchenette instead of a single hostel room, and although downsizing is necessary when moving from home, it's nice to get all that arranged rather than family having to make tough decisions later on. We have private courtyards, where we can grow our own plants or not, as we please. We can keep pets up to 10 kg.
:happy-sunshine:
I dream, therefore I am.