COTA

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

COTA

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Jul 2006, 22:32

The Council of the Ageing,
http://www.cota.org.au/about/aboutcot.htm
seem to have put in a lot of work 2003-2004, but their website shows little recently. But they do say
Already, almost 30% of the population of NSW is over the age of 50. That is going to grow to
35% by 2016 and almost 40% by 2026.
In only a decade the number of people over the age of 80 will increase by a third placing further
pressure on our hospital and aged care systems. The next decade will also see more ‘young old’
(50-65) and the ‘older-old’ (65-79) people then ever before. They see themselves as active,
healthy and wanting to contribute to society. The next decade is critical because the more active
and healthy people are in their 50s, 60s and 70s the less they will need expensive health and aged
care services later on.”
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 24 Jul 2006, 09:41

Just had a quick look at the site and came away very disappointed!
It is supposed to be the most important organisation to look after the over 50's in Australia. It charges a membership fee, but does very little except provide links to other organisations. Most of the pages had not been updated since May 2005. :sad:

I may be a little cynical, but a website that says "What's news" and shows the 'latest news' as an entry dated October 2005, does not sound to be very up to date!

At our age we need a much more active organisation to represent us.
Cota does not seem to be very interested! :sad: :sad: :sad:

The quote provided by Dreamweaver is probably very accurate. We are getting older but staying younger! \:D/
In the long run, the Government must make more and better provisions for the ageing population, otherwise we will all live in caves pretty soon!

:-
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 24 Jul 2006, 13:51

Would that be so very bad? Some do it!

Merri

Post by Merri » 24 Jul 2006, 17:03

Once I would have thought it would be A OK, Dawn. Not the way my back's been acting up this week, though! :cry: