Forgetting names

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Forgetting names

Post by mavisbramston » 27 Jul 2016, 13:37

Often during the week I chat at coffee with a very nice gentleman sharing a few pleasantries. He even addresses me by my name. The touble is I cannot recall his. The other day with my partner I ran into him and was worried about how on earth do I introduce him. I know some people get upset when you foget their name. I don't blame them.
So came up with a quick solution ..ohh why dont you introduce one another I must get some frozen beans and dashed off telling thm I would be back in a second.Pretty good strategy but if you know who had said we dont need beans my plan would have back fired lol.
Partner looked confused as we did not need beans but its all I could think of. Wondered if you have this problem.
I was quite pleased with my strategy. :lol:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Forgetting names

Post by Dreamweaver » 27 Jul 2016, 17:15

Someone explained memory to me as being like an onion, with multiple layers.A diseased onion will decay at all levels, which they likened to Alzheimers, but for natural memory loss due to aging, the outside layer, storing the most recent memories drops away first. Regardless of whether a name is a new memory or not, I reckon all names are in that outide layer!
:happy:

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 30 Jul 2016, 16:04

I think you are right Dreamweaver. I am often embarrassed when I forget someone's name. Too often though, they can't remember mine.
I think if you see the person often. it's easier to remember their names, but when it's every now and again, with sometimes a month or so passing, .............??
:good_luck

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 30 Jul 2016, 16:24

That is exactly why in Australia you call them mate, in England thingy. :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Post by Tedwalker » 02 Aug 2016, 14:50

A joke I posted recently.

OLD FRIENDS

Two elderly ladies had been friends for many decades. Over the years, they had shared all kinds of activities and adventures.
Lately, their activities had been limited to meeting a few times a week to play cards.

One day, they were playing cards when one looked at the other and said, "Now don't get mad at me. I know we've been
Friends for a long time, but I just can't think of your name. I've thought and thought, but I can't remember it. Please tell
Me what your name is."

Her friend glared at her. For at least three minutes, she just stared and glared at her.

Finally she said, "How soon do you need to know?"

:roflmao: :lol: :lol: :roflmao:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 05 Aug 2016, 16:59

Ted that made my day. loved it thank you so much! :lol:

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Post by Tedwalker » 06 Aug 2016, 12:37

My pleasure mavis, and I'm pleased you remember my name.

:lol: :roflmao: :lol: