How and why we age

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

How and why we age

Post by Perrorist » 23 Jan 2017, 08:14

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: How and why we age

Post by Buck_naked » 23 Jan 2017, 08:26

Ita Buttrose said the main problem is we are too fat and don't get enough exercise.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 23 Jan 2017, 10:48

I cant speak for all Aussies, but THAT is certainly my problem.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 23 Jan 2017, 11:05

The brain's neuroplasticity is interesting, how the brain can rewire itself by creating new pathways within the nerve cells to compensate for damage to an area. These new pathways are created when new experiences occur. So doing crosswords all of your life won’t increase the number of pathways, but if you add a new activity that you need to learn and practise, then new pathways can form.

Also, as we age, there’s a decrease in the amount and strength of muscle tissue, due mostly to the influence of decreasing hormones. Surprising that to make up for the muscle mass lost during each day of strict bed rest, older people may need to exercise for up to two weeks.

Of course we can't do a great deal about failing vision, hearing, taste and smell, and those failings do make us feel old. But I'm glad they say that " With proactive decisions and community understanding, we can look forward to adapting to a positive ageing process."