Coping with the summer heat

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

lablover

Post by lablover » 13 Jan 2006, 16:28

Couldn't agree more about the cooler weather, thats why I am in Victoria. I have a daughter on the Gold Coast but won't go there as it is even too hot in winter for me. I sweat too much and that really knocks you out. She is compaining of the extreme heat also and the experts say it is going to get worse in years to come.

Merri

Re: Coping with the summer heat

Post by Merri » 13 Jan 2006, 18:34

Jumbo Mumbo wrote: It is too hot to do gardening, we can't water using a hose except every second day from 7 pm until 7 am, so my garden at least, is not being cared for as I normally would.
In Victoria the alternate day watering turned out to use more water than people watering when they remembered to - which must have been less often! Having a routine reminded them. :lol: :lol:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Jan 2006, 21:26

Jumbo Mumbo is absolutely correct with the heat in Qld driving everybody crazy since the mid of December. Temperatures are only around 32 - 39C but the humidity has been the worst enemy averaging 75/85% on most days.
Fortunately we have aircon but I personally don't like it especially when you go out/come in frequently. The body seems to object to the changes a stages.
I have on some days soaked a bed sheet in cold water and then hung it inside the window of my little office. I also use a fan drawing the air IN through the window. The air entering through the wet sheet gets cooled down somewhat and cools the room a little. Plus you do get moisture back in to the room as well. It is not perfect but seems to work for me.

Merri, in Qld you are nearly obliged to water your plants daily in summer. The restrictions are working and considerable savings have been achieved.
We are also not allowed to wash our cars with a hose, and any breaches attract a considerable fine.

Water preservation is working and a plus for the Councils! =D>
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Merri

Re: Coping with the summer heat

Post by Merri » 30 Jan 2006, 22:17

"Jumbo Mumbo"
Are any of you like me? In Qld where I live just outside Brisbane, the heat this year and last year, is so hot, that people are saying they are not coping with it. It is commonly said that the older we get, the worse it seems to be for us to tolerate ongoing hot weather.
On Nov.3rd I put a post under "Domestic issues confronting Australians in general," entitled 'Keep cool'. Interesting to look back now!

Toowoomba is one of my favourite place, Mumbo. We lived at Dalby for 20 years and always thought we'd retire to Toowoomba. But family called us south and we never regretted it. :biggrin: