Sure fire cure for anger and depression.

All the GOOD and HAPPY news from around the World.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Sure fire cure for anger and depression.

Post by terra » 09 Jul 2017, 12:44

Yep !.... this has done it for me ! :twocents-mytwocents:

in recent years, I've become a tad angrier, cynical and generally pissed off with the world.
Terrorism, hate crime, corrupt politicians, corrupt CEO's, screaming radio and TV commercials are probably the ones that cause me the most grief.

You all know of my dislike (hate) of TV commercials.
Today I took a giant step and signed up to netflix for $13.95 per month.
Gee, what an absolute gem this is.... no bloody commercials !.... and I can stop it and start it whenever I want if I need a pee or have to sit down for dinner.
:text-thankyou:

So much to choose from.
movies, documentarys, TV series etc. :icon_biggrin: all at the press of a button.
Netflix remembers what I like and offers more similar content for my perusal. If this is the way of the future, then I'm hooked !
Good riddance to commercial TV
:thumbs_up: :wqoohoo :thank_you:

https://www.netflix.com/au/
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Sure fire cure for anger and depression.

Post by grandduke » 09 Jul 2017, 13:14

Argh, argh, argh, it's spying on you Terra old son, the same applies
with online eBay the next time I go online it shows me what I recently
viewed. argh, we are meat in an avaricious industry. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 09 Jul 2017, 13:24

Go "incognito" your dukeship !
Problem solved !

.....as for Netflix spying on me.... that's a good thing in my case 'cos it does all the searching for me !

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 09 Jul 2017, 15:17

Following the purchase of my Telstra TV box I subscribed to Netflix for a while. I found the quality of movies very low,opted out after about 6 months,which included a 3 month free period. I then tried Stan,also with a 3 month free period,but found it no better and opted out of that also.
Now,if I wish to watch a movie,I use BigPond Movies,where I am able to find some great mainstream movies to watch at reasonable prices.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 09 Jul 2017, 15:24

I'm old school, still shove a disk in the betamax. Dinosaur i tells ya! :lol: :lol: :lol:

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 09 Jul 2017, 15:38

Slapsy wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 15:17
Following the purchase of my Telstra TV box I subscribed to Netflix for a while. I found the quality of movies very low,opted out after about 6 months,which included a 3 month free period. I then tried Stan,also with a 3 month free period,but found it no better and opted out of that also.
Now,if I wish to watch a movie,I use BigPond Movies,where I am able to find some great mainstream movies to watch at reasonable prices.
Yeah.... I agree slaps, it's not for everyone but for me, it's heaven !
Geez, I'd even watch a test pattern on TV as long as it was commercial-free ! :character-oldtimer:

The future of commercial TV as we know it, is bleak. The sooner they go down the gurgler, the better.
:character-oldtimer:
How can you watch a movie or docco on TV when every 5 minutes, it's bombarded with commercials for about 4 minutes. Then another 5 minutes of movie and then 4 minutes of commercials and so on, infinitum.
..... and the movies ?.... it seems like they replay Harry potter, Pirates of The Caribbean, etc every couple of weeks.... chocca block full of commercials. :flaming_mad

:flaming_mad ......and then they plaster their very large station logo/watermark on the lower right of screen, and frequently add to that with another lower screen add next to it which is on top of the movie that I'm watching.
and if there's any on-screen text from that movie, it's hidden by their add.
... geez.... I'm on a roll now. How about when the movie finishes and I'd like to watch the "credits". Bastards, they shrink that down to microscopic size at the lower part of the screen and whack on a trailer of one of their up and coming presentations.

Bloody arrogant and contemptible !... that's what they are. :twocents-mytwocents:
Today, I watched a netflix movie called "Spectral"... a sci-fi action, adventure movie. No outstanding movies stars but gee it was good.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 17 Jul 2017, 08:48

My son talked us in to getting Apple tv two or three years ago. We we also signed up for Netflix. The cost is only $7.99/mo. For a couple of months we would watch a movie about every two weeks. Now if we watch a movie I figured it cost us abut $23.00 a movie no more often than we use Netflix. But it's right there if we want to watch it.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Jul 2017, 09:35

I never watch commercial TV for the same reason as Terra.

We subscribed to Netflix about three months ago because the grandkids were so used to it at home. We don't watch it much. My only complaint is that the captions trail after the dialogue. The price has just risen to $9.99 pm. There's also nowhere near the volume of content you get in the US.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 17 Jul 2017, 10:15

The price of Netflix is truly worth every cent of the $13.99 per month.
I would gladly pay double or even triple that amount to get rid of the scourge of obnoxious and insulting commercials.
.....and the freedom to choose what I want to watch and at a time to suit me.
If I'm interrupted by a phone call or visitor, simple hit the stop button.
When I next turn Netflix on, it remembers where I left off.
:twocents-mytwocents:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Jul 2017, 10:47

I make do with ABC Iview, and SBS On Demand. The tv set goes unused.
I have some very interesting connections on Facebook. I do an occasional on-line study course. I look up various topics for a discussion group. I just don't seem to have enough time to bother with anything else. :icon_biggrin:

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 17 Jul 2017, 11:13

Me too DW !...
I also find YouTube a great source of entertainment and information.
If I have a problem fixing my car, washing machine, computer or chainsaw..... sure enough, someone on YouTube has the answer !
Good for watching music videos and old movies as well.
....and if I'm feeling down, nothing like funny cat videos on YouTube to put a smile on my dial.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njSyHmcEdkw

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 17 Jul 2017, 17:16

When we moved from a cable company to AT&T as our entertainment center (tv) and phone, and internet provider, I suggested to my wife she get whatever she wThe TV is hers, I live on the internet and what I have now is inferior to what I had but it will do. Some days my computer is so slow I can't use it; some days I can hardly tell I'm on the internet. AT&T cuts down on the broad band of economic users and gives it to Pricy users. This usually happens on weekends and some prime time usage. Other times I think I have a super computer. But that means my wife dictates when we use Netflix on the flat screen. I can get Netflix on my iPad but I tend to use YouTube more. As I grow longer of tooth, my anger seems to have subsided more and perhaps theres a little more depression. That''s what youTube is for.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 18 Jul 2017, 09:14

Good to see that you're enjoying YouTube Hawkeye !
:high_fives:
It's a one stop shop for entertainment in my view.
Not so good is your internet speed.
:teary I would have thought that the US had the best of the best with that technology.
Is the problem just confined to your local area or is it widespread in Oklahoma ?

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 22 Jul 2017, 12:45

Bought a new "smart" TV for my bedroom to take advantage of Netflix, iview and sbs on demand without all the bother of having a WD Live black box attached as I do on my big screen lounge room TV.

The new one is working well but still wading through the complicated set up crap. Stay tuned for progress.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 22 Jul 2017, 14:20

see ya when you come out of hibernation in the spring. :lol: :lol: :lol: