Good Afternoon

Introduce ourselves. If you are a new member, say a few words to let us know you are now part of the Silverpeers fraternity. Our members will welcome you with warm words.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

donander
Emerald Member

Re: Good Afternoon

Post by donander » 16 Oct 2013, 20:00

MallyBoy wrote: [ Snip ]
Thanks Donander, I am from Mildura.
:happy-sunshine:
Lucky you ...... Mildura is a beautiful city, Merv. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

MallyBoy

Post by MallyBoy » 16 Oct 2013, 20:06

godfather wrote:G'day Merv, glad to have you onboard!
With a personality and avatar like yours you won't have much trouble getting to know us.
I'm the "godfather" amongst this happy crew, just making sure that they behave like ladies and gentlemen. They need a bit of guidance from time to time, you know, sort of keep them under control. :wink
Don't let that upset you because I also carry the "violin case" if they step out of control.

Happy to have you along and hope that you'll enjoy our company. Oh, don't hesitate to ask for navigational assistance if you get lost.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Thank you Godfather, I shall beware of the "violin case" and if I sense you surreptitiously reaching for it I shall quietly slip into my lightweight Kevlar Bullet Proof Vest which I normally keep handy.
:nahnahnah

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 16 Oct 2013, 20:27

Don't be afraid of me, just keep a look out for the ladies!

:wink :wink :wink
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

MallyBoy

Post by MallyBoy » 16 Oct 2013, 20:33

godfather wrote:Don't be afraid of me, just keep a look out for the ladies!

:wink :wink :wink

What? are they feral? :eek :eek :eek

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 16 Oct 2013, 20:45

Nah mate, they are delightful, each and everyone of them.
You'll enjoy our crew, we have good hearts!

:handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 16 Oct 2013, 20:55

Thank you Godfather, I shall beware of the "violin case" and if I sense you surreptitiously reaching for it I shall quietly slip into my lightweight Kevlar Bullet Proof Vest which I normally keep handy. :nahnahnah
Now I'm really worried: Someone else knows really big words AND a Balmain Boy. Watch out Warrigal !! :wink

Are you a teacher too Merv? 8-[
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

MallyBoy

Post by MallyBoy » 16 Oct 2013, 21:12

donander wrote:
Thanks Donander, I am from Mildura.
Lucky you ...... Mildura is a beautiful city, Merv. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
Yes I think its pretty good, has a good climate. Can get very hot in summer (regularly exceeds 40c) but it is a very dry heat and much easier to handle than the same temp in your area on account of the higher humidity. Most businesses and homes here use evaporative air conditioning which works a treat and is considerably cheaper to operate than reverse cycle. So when the weather warms up I step out of my a/c home into my a/c car and drive to the a/c shopping centre which has large carparks with acres of canvas covered parking spaces and then back home without even breaking into a sweat.
My eldest daughter is married to a Queensland Policeman and they are currently stationed out west in Surat after being many years at Roma. Her younger sister lives in Cairns and I have a son living in Adelaide. Between them they have presented me with five fantastic grand children = 4 grandsons + 1 granddaughter.
I know Queensland very well having lived at various times in Gladstone, Rockhampton and Yeppoon.
I have been at times what you might call "a rolling stone" and have seen a great deal of Australia and I still have the urge to keep looking but after nearly 20 years here in Mildura I think that I have found my "place".

Merv.

MallyBoy

Post by MallyBoy » 16 Oct 2013, 21:27

donander wrote:
Thank you Godfather, I shall beware of the "violin case" and if I sense you surreptitiously reaching for it I shall quietly slip into my lightweight Kevlar Bullet Proof Vest which I normally keep handy. :nahnahnah
Now I'm really worried: Someone else knows really big words AND a Balmain Boy. Watch out Warrigal !! :wink

Are you a teacher too Merv? 8-[
No, I went to the school of hard knocks and graduated dux of the class. And for the big words try this:- Google "Word Web" and you will find a free download for the Word Web program. It is safe and once installed simply sits as an icon on your taskbar. Then when you are reading something on your computer and find a word that you want a meaning for you simply park your cursor on the word, hold down ctrl and right click = job done the program will open and give you a meaning for your word. It is also a thesaurus as well as a dictionary. I find it very useful.

Merv. :happy-sunshine: :biggrin:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Oct 2013, 04:14

Hi Merv, and welcome! I am also a Victorian, who had a 20 year sojourn in Qld, much of it in Joh's era.

Looking forward to your joining in.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 17 Oct 2013, 04:17

Hi, Merv. Hope you have a great time, Welcome. I,m from sydney west. :character-oldtimer: :choc_lover:
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 17 Oct 2013, 06:08

Hi Merv.
I think everything has been said here to welcome you! So I will just agree and hope you enjoy our little forum!

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 17 Oct 2013, 08:21

Welcome Mallyboy! :biggrin:

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 17 Oct 2013, 10:05

G'day Merv.... big, warm welcome to you. You mentioned being a part of the Balmain set in the 80's. Neville Wrann once said that, "Balmain boys don't cry"..... so true, we were a tough lot.
:character-oldtimer:
Much of my youth, 1944 to 1977 was spent in the Leichhardt, Rozelle & Balmain area. I remember riding the tram many times to Darling Street Wharf as a 10 year old, to go fishing for Bream and Leatherjacket.
Abbotsford Wharf was another favourite fishing spot for me and my mates.... when the fishing was quiet there, we'd wander just up the road to the huge Nestles chocolate factory.
There was a security guard (an old bloke) at the main gate and we would send one of our mates down the driveway on his bicycle to ride around their carpark area... he was the "bait" in our trap.
Of course, the doddery old guard would give chase on foot. That was our cue to run down to the huge dumpster outside the factory entrance where all the broken chocolates from the production line was tossed.
With about 30 seconds leeway before the guard noticed us and ran back, we stuffed all the chocolate we could down the inside of our shirts which were tucked firmly into our shorts waist. Then a mad sprint on our bicycles back to Abbotsford Wharf where we would sit on the grass and pig out on chocolate. :icon-mrgreen:

You'll enjoy this mob here, good blokes but those sheilas can be a bit pesky at times.

cheers mate ! Image
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

MallyBoy

Post by MallyBoy » 17 Oct 2013, 11:04

Biggdad wrote:Hi, Merv. Hope you have a great time, Welcome. I,m from sydney west. :character-oldtimer: :choc_lover:

Thanx Biggdad

MallyBoy

Post by MallyBoy » 17 Oct 2013, 11:07

Teddy wrote:Welcome Mallyboy! :biggrin:
Thanx Teddy,
R U a teddy boy or a teddy girl?

think-smiley