Offensive Posts

Introduce ourselves. If you are a new member, say a few words to let us know you are now part of the Silverpeers fraternity. Our members will welcome you with warm words.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Offensive Posts

Post by Perrorist » 19 Jan 2016, 10:55

I'd like to draw members' attention to the site's Terms and Conditions and in particular to the posting of racist and sexist content. This can discourage existing and future members, as I'm sure you'll understand, and any such content will be arbitrarily removed.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Offensive Posts

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Jan 2016, 11:19

I am happy with that, Perry.
Australia has laws which the forum would be breaking if publishing such content.
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 19 Jan 2016, 12:46

Perrorist, before commenting further, I would appreciate some examples of what you consider to be "offensive" posts. You may well be right, but I am growing increasingly concerned at the use of political correctness to stifle debate on matters of grave importance to myself and the community in general. It is becoming all too easy to label anyone who criticises terrorists, Muslims, refugees etc as racist or bigots. They have no problem at all in criticising US.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 19 Jan 2016, 13:08

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 19 Jan 2016, 16:15

kfchugo, I'm not referring to anything you, Buck, and others post, because it involves discussion of current issues. I had to delete a joke this morning that vilified Muslims and glorified their death. I can't repeat it here for obvious reasons.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 19 Jan 2016, 21:10

So far, touching wood, we have only ever had to suspend one account on a permanent basis during the last 10 years.
There have been a couple of temporary exclusions for short periods but overall this forum has given its members a fairly lenient opportunity to post important matters. I really believe that administrators and moderators have taken a tolerant view on some issues but have tried to avoid making this forum a spectacle of policing.
Having said that I will agree with Perrorist that the rights of removal of any objectionable material is still at the discretion of the owner!

Happy democratic posting!

:wqoohoo :wqoohoo :wqoohoo
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 19 Jan 2016, 22:16

I must admit that I dont often visit the joke section and did not see the offending post. I agree that jokes that vilify Muslims or encourage violence against them are indeed offensive and ought to be removed. I do enjoy this forum and find the contributors very open minded and sensible, so the reference to "offensive posts" surprised me. :thinking:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 Jan 2016, 07:11

It's not easy drawing a line, and my inclination is always to give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

We seem to be a tolerant bunch and our discussions always remain cordial, which is more than can be said for some sites I've belonged to. Credit for that goes to GF of course, who's nurtured this site for many years, making my life a lot easier than it might otherwise have been.

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 20 Jan 2016, 09:53

Good call - and there is a huge difference between open discussion of matters and downright vilification of people/race/religion. I agree that this site has always maintained a polite demeanor. The odd hissy fit sometimes happens but that's is all it ever is - a tantrum in the sand pit :lol:
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 21 Jan 2016, 11:03

Freedom of speech is a right & a privilege in Australia........

above all, let's not forget that.
:twocents-mytwocents:

We can poke fun at our nations leader, ie. the Prime Minister. :thinking:
Publish funny and sometimes cruel cartoons featuring Tony Abbott, Malcolm Turnbull, Julie Bishop, Bill Shorten and the like with absolutely no fear at all of reprisals or accusations of racial or sexist comment.......
and yet, if those same taunts, jokes, cartoons etc are aimed at someone who is ethnic, coloured, indigenous or similar, we are crucified for it.

Remember what happened with "Charlie Hebdo" in France only last year resulting in eleven people being slaughtered because the radicals took offence at a cartoon.

lighten up people ! :character-oldtimer:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 21 Jan 2016, 13:14

I think the Australian ethic is not to kick a man when he's down. Fair enough to dish it out to those who are in power, or at least can give as good as they get, but there is a certain protectiveness towards the ones repeatedly getting the shitty end of the stick. Imho.
:thinking:
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 21 Jan 2016, 20:40

I am sure that most of our members realise that offensive behaviour has lots of drawbacks.
We have always promoted the idea of "Use it or Lose it!", and if you have already lost it then you are too late joining a sensible and friendly forum like SP.

My appreciation goes to all active members here, who over a full decade have shown that forums have some benefits.
These benefits are not just for our small group but also become useful to the many visitors who stop by and read our postings every day.

Thank you all for making SP a remarkable web site!

:thank_you: :thank_you: :thank_you:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 23 Jan 2016, 03:01

My opinion of the behaviour of members is rather high.
No nastiness or yelling insults is very welcome.
Tis pleasant to chat in a quietly moderated forum. Thank you :icon-mrgreen:

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 23 Jan 2016, 11:47

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".