To our new members from S.H.S.

Introduce ourselves. If you are a new member, say a few words to let us know you are now part of the Silverpeers fraternity. Our members will welcome you with warm words.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Teddy
Diamond Member

Re: To our new members from S.H.S.

Post by Teddy » 31 Aug 2013, 08:07

Is the GO card only in the Capital Hughie is it for Buses?.We find living in the sub tropical too cold in winter & migrate (not holiday)north.Although it's "up here,"where all those Vic.,cars are ?!!(though I admit I love Melbourne & if unable go as I used to every year felt deprived, such a beautiful elegant city ,visit Victoria Markets,Melbourne has Trams & the people are so friendly & courteous :biggrin:

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 04 Sep 2013, 11:03

Hello and Welcome Hughie, looking forward to reading your future posts :wave caitlin

Veejay

Post by Veejay » 04 Sep 2013, 12:52

Teddy only just saw your post re the Go card.
We live on the Gold Coast and use it all the time, not sure how far into the Brisbane suburbs it goes, but we go by train to Brisbane and other places, you can use it on buses, trains, ferries and when the new Light Rail system is operational here on the Coast, we will use it for that too. Pensioners get a pretty good price deal. Here on the Gold Coast, the Local Council have recently brought in a special for pensioners who travel between 9am and 3-30pm Monday to Friday, we can go anywhere here for free!! All helps and we also have a Companion card as hubby is in wheel chair, so I get to travel for free and also get into a lot of tourist attractions etc. for free, as we only pay for one, doesn't need to be me either, anyone that is with him gets it, if I am not with him. Needless to say we try to organise our trips and appointments etc. to fit in that time.
Of course you don't have to live here to get a Go Card anyone can get one, but the free one from the Council might say you have to be a local, I am not sure.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 04 Sep 2013, 15:36

Thanks Veejay,thought it was probably around Brisbane ,G Coast area,could be ? SS Coast also,but I was wondering re North Qld.,area as lots of Southerners go by plane to Tropics in winter1 :biggrin:

Hughie

Post by Hughie » 10 Sep 2013, 08:53

godfather wrote:Great to see you returning. Pity SHS did close it sounds it was running like a charm.
Can we learn something that we should be doing and are not doing?
I am asking you mainly because you also run your own forum, giving you and advantage over others.
That doesn't mean that no one else should answer.
We are open to suggestions (clean ones please) and any input would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

=D> =D> =D>
Sorry for my absence, Teddy and Hans. Just returned from holiday and had a locking keyboard on my HP dm1 so was limited in what I could do.

Hans, I'll drop you an email re suggestions later in the week - got a bit of catching up to do - first stop Centrelink. :-
An Emigrant's Daughter - on Harmonica ... by Hughie - with backing.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine

Hughie

Post by Hughie » 10 Sep 2013, 09:28

Had a Go card for a few years now Teddy. Instead of paying $50 for a taxi from the Sunshine Airport, we just jump on the local bus as we only have carry-on bags. Change buses at Sunshine Plaza to Mooloolaba which costs us less than three dollars each - we top up our Go cards on the web.

The other week we went from Mooloolaba to Springwood, South of Brisbane for a few days visiting my cousin. Three buses two trains, and it took us nearly four hours. for each of us it cost just under $7 each way off peak - great value I reckon. \:D/

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine

Veejay

Post by Veejay » 10 Sep 2013, 09:37

We top up our Go Card with automatic direct debit, because we found out that the card runs out each birthday and then is not valid until we renew it again at one of the places you can top up. We have a combined Seniors and Go Card. Our Local Council "free rides in off peak hours scheme" is monitored by a special "Spot" that is stuck onto the Go Card. Every little helps when on a pension and we make a lot of use of our Card.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 10 Sep 2013, 20:56

That is so funny re SSCoast Airport Hughie & getting the local Bus to Plaza ,then to Mooloolaba :lol: !Pity it's just Melbourne those planes fly to SS Coast(because some of us who live in this sub Tropical area find the winters cold & would like to fly north without having to go to Brisbane to catch a plane!) think-smiley
Veejay & Hughie thanks for the info re Go card. :biggrin:

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 10 Sep 2013, 21:04

Veejay wrote:We top up our Go Card with automatic direct debit, because we found out that the card runs out each birthday and then is not valid until we renew it again at one of the places you can top up. We have a combined Seniors and Go Card. Our Local Council "free rides in off peak hours scheme" is monitored by a special "Spot" that is stuck onto the Go Card. Every little helps when on a pension and we make a lot of use of our Card.
VJ, I hear that if you renew your GoCard as a senior, the annual renewal is unnecessary (ie, it never expires).

That's what I did last time .... on advice (hope it was good advice). :wink

PS: We're down at Burleigh at the moment, enjoying your beautiful weather. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Veejay

Post by Veejay » 11 Sep 2013, 14:41

Yep Donander, we now have our Seniors Card linked to the Go Card, and as you said it never runs out.

Hope you are enjoying being at Burleigh. where do you stay?

Hughie

Post by Hughie » 12 Sep 2013, 13:42

They say Adult Go cards expire after ten years. http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-far ... -a-go-card

I think only those with Queensland Seniors Cards can link to their Go cards.