Medicinal Cockroach Farm

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Medicinal Cockroach Farm

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 May 2018, 20:52

Cockroach-rearing is a booming industry in China—pulverized roach powder is patented as a Traditional Chinese Medicine ingredient and cosmetics companies use the insects as a cheap source of protein. There were about 100 large-scale cockroach farms in China in 2013, and farmers could earn as much as $20 a pound, the Los Angeles Times reported at the time. In the case of the Xichang facility, the world’s biggest cockroach farm, the insects are made into a liquid concoction that millions of Chinese patients use to treat respiratory, gastric, and other illnesses with doctor prescriptions, the SCMP said citing a local government report. A bottle of 100 ml of the medicine costs about $4.

https://qz.com/1257583/a-chinese-farm-i ... -medicine/
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Medicinal Cockroach Farm

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 May 2018, 21:11

There is cockroach-related research in medicine too. Scientists had long wondered how roaches could spend their lives in dirty environments with no ill effects and it turns out they produce their own powerful antibiotics.

They might hold the key when it comes to developing drugs to knock out the most virulent bacteria that make humans ill, such as E. coli, MRSA and other superbugs resistant to many existing treatments.

Cockroach cures are nothing new, though. In the 19th Century Lafcadio Hearn, a journalist and writer who travelled through the southern states of the US, noted, "For tetanus, cockroach tea is given. I do not know how many cockroaches go to make up the cup; but I find faith in this remedy is strong among many of the American population of New Orleans."

Today, hospitals in parts of China use a cream made from powdered cockroaches to treat burns and a cockroach syrup is sometimes given to patients to alleviate the symptoms of gastroenteritis.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34517443
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Medicinal Cockroach Farm

Post by kfchugo » 17 May 2018, 11:36

With an ever increasing world population and scarcity of arable land, it would seem natural that insects would become the food source of the future. Personally, I dont fancy munching on the raw product but perhaps they could be processed into something more palatable...... an insect version of Soylent Green perhaps?