ELECTION 2013

.....progressively being built as we go along!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Locked
User avatar
Maggs
Diamond Member
Posts: 61895
Joined: 22 May 2006, 15:29
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Maggs » 09 Oct 2013, 11:37

Do you think you would make a good Candidate, Don?

User avatar
donander
Emerald Member
Posts: 6892
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 12:21
Location: Northern Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by donander » 09 Oct 2013, 17:28

Torture or the Senate, Maggs? think-smiley

Oops, same thing I suppose. Ask Paul. :lol:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

User avatar
godfather
Diamond Member
Posts: 13533
Joined: 31 Aug 2005, 20:41
Location: Brisbane

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by godfather » 09 Oct 2013, 21:33

Betty wrote:Yeah I think most of them are tortured...............................they torture themselves on how to rip us lesser mortals off. :wink :lol: :lol:

Betty, that almost sounds like you have the same problems with your politicians!
Robin Hood in reverse, they take from the poor and give to the rich, at least here in Australia they do!

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

User avatar
Betty
Bronze Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: 06 Oct 2013, 06:42
Location: Essex, U.K.

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Betty » 10 Oct 2013, 21:38

godfather wrote:
Betty wrote:Yeah I think most of them are tortured...............................they torture themselves on how to rip us lesser mortals off. :wink :lol: :lol:

Betty, that almost sounds like you have the same problems with your politicians!
Robin Hood in reverse, they take from the poor and give to the rich, at least here in Australia they do!

:hitting_wall :hitting_wall :hitting_wall

Got it in one Godfather, those in parliament that were born with a silver spoon in their mouths haven't got a clue how poorer people struggle from day to day just to live and any changes that are made, it is the poorer that suffer.. :flaming_mad
A rose by any other name...............

User avatar
Maggs
Diamond Member
Posts: 61895
Joined: 22 May 2006, 15:29
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Maggs » 11 Oct 2013, 12:54

Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester used to sing duet "It's the same the Whole World Over"....I wish I could remember all the words, but would love to hear it again......could I find it on U tube maybe. Its going back a good while, but if I can find it I'll print it out a copy for us all!

I doubt the rich have as much fun as us because they have to find the lolly for stately homes and employ someone to do the washing up and what may happen when they rock the boat to cause them to be ousted from the Elite list. We have our smaller homes and less expenditure and manage quite well, ACTUALLY!

I am the keeper of my privy purse and so far it has not caused me any angst at all!

User avatar
grandduke
Diamond Member
Posts: 11110
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 20:13
Location: 1770 Agnes Water Central Queensland

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by grandduke » 11 Oct 2013, 13:36

Maggs petal is this your song/poem.

http://poemsandprose.blog.co.uk/2006/01 ... er~439049/
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Warrigal
Emerald Member
Posts: 6640
Joined: 06 Jul 2013, 16:44
Location: Sydney

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Warrigal » 11 Oct 2013, 13:42

You're spot on about the happiness angle, Maggs.

There is a level of income below which life is pretty uncomfortable but when everyone else is in the same boat, and helping each other, then happiness can be found in spite of the hardships. Charities know that relatively poor suburbs can be the most generous, with most people giving something. Few refuse altogether. However in the affluent societies the "I gave at the office" excuse is quite common.

As we climb up the income scale there comes a point where further increases do not being further happiness. In fact, because we continually see people who are getting more, we tend to be more and more unsatisfied with our lot and we can tend to become more grasping. Think CEOs and the people we choose to represent us in parliament and it is easy to find examples of this phenomenon.

How happy do you think Rupert Murdoch is? Do you think he has any true friends? I wouldn't trade places with him for double my pension. :lol:
The difference between knowledge and faith is like the difference between knowing about friendship and having a friend.

User avatar
Maggs
Diamond Member
Posts: 61895
Joined: 22 May 2006, 15:29
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Maggs » 11 Oct 2013, 14:51

[quote="grandduke"]Maggs petal is this your song/poem.

IT certainly is, GD, but I made the mistake of looking for the original words and it was so filled with 4 letter words of the worst kind, I had to go and wash my brain out!


I much prefer the one you have supplied.....and NO...do not ask me for the rude URAL!

User avatar
Maggs
Diamond Member
Posts: 61895
Joined: 22 May 2006, 15:29
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Maggs » 11 Oct 2013, 15:04

How happy do you think Rupert Murdoch is? Do you think he has any true friends? I wouldn't trade places with him for double my pension. :lol:


Neither would I, as guilt would grab me like a python. and squeeze me until I set all the wrongs right!

Man's ( and women's ) average span of life is but 70 years, and no matter how many Dollars have been gathered over that time it won't be any good to the owner when he/she pops the clogs.

Unlike us, having reached beyond the average span we can still eat well, play well and keep up with modern trends. Being in the middle class we knew that a nest egg had to be put in place before we could gladly go forward into decline! The kids will get mine and they will give to theirs eventually, and we will all have done the best we could. WHY?, because we have the staying Power.

User avatar
donander
Emerald Member
Posts: 6892
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 12:21
Location: Northern Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by donander » 11 Oct 2013, 16:07

Maggs wrote: [ Snip ]
Neither would I, as guilt would grab me like a python. and squeeze me until I set all the wrongs right!
[ Snip ]
What wrongs Maggs?
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

User avatar
Betty
Bronze Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: 06 Oct 2013, 06:42
Location: Essex, U.K.

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Betty » 11 Oct 2013, 16:38

Obviously I cannot speak for Australia but in the U.K. there are many many people that for various reasons best known to themselves were not in a position to put money away for their retirement and so have to exist of the state pension and any benefits they may be entitled to, that is why we have thousands of people aged 70 and over that are still going out to work, not because they want to but because they have to, just in order to live.

When this government make cuts it is these poorer folk that suffer more than anyone else.

Just yesterday one of the energy companies announced their prices would rise and as always it is just as we are going into winter when the heating will be neded more, within a month the other energy companies will follow suit.


As we climb up the income scale there comes a point where further increases do not being further happiness.

Further increases would certainly further my happiness and my way of life.
A rose by any other name...............

User avatar
donander
Emerald Member
Posts: 6892
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 12:21
Location: Northern Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by donander » 11 Oct 2013, 17:05

Money doesn't buy friends but you get a better class of enemy.

:wink
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

User avatar
Betty
Bronze Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: 06 Oct 2013, 06:42
Location: Essex, U.K.

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Betty » 11 Oct 2013, 17:10

This is a result of one of the cuts from this last April.

Court summonses rise after council tax benefit cuts, Labour says

Hundreds of thousands of people have been taken to court in England for non-payment of council tax owing to benefit changes, according to the Labour Party.

Labour said 112 English councils had reported issuing 156,000 court summonses since April to people paying more tax as a result of the changes.

That meant 450,000 individuals may have been taken to court across the whole of England in six months, it claimed.

But Local Government Minister Brandon Lewis said the survey was "misleading".

Labour asked all 326 billing authorities in England how many court summonses they had issued following the change to council tax benefit in April.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24482948
A rose by any other name...............

User avatar
Betty
Bronze Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: 06 Oct 2013, 06:42
Location: Essex, U.K.

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by Betty » 11 Oct 2013, 17:11

donander wrote:Money doesn't buy friends but you get a better class of enemy.

:wink

I don't need to buy friends and as for enemies.................what are they????
A rose by any other name...............

User avatar
grandduke
Diamond Member
Posts: 11110
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 20:13
Location: 1770 Agnes Water Central Queensland

Re: Senate makeup after july 2014.

Post by grandduke » 11 Oct 2013, 17:53

Like me Betty you wouldn't have any :- Don does because
he's a member of the thieving liberals. :heeheehee :heeheehee

Well we can't all make the right choices can we. :- :-
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Locked