Foreign aid

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Foreign aid

Post by mavisbramston » 07 Aug 2018, 13:30

Does Australia or has Australia ever had foreign aid? I hear people constantly going on about how much we give. Actually we dont.
Just the same I can never get an answer to this. The magic google seems iseless on this question.

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Re: Foreign aid

Post by Mahalia » 07 Aug 2018, 15:17

according to Google - On average, Australians think we invest 16% of the Federal Budget on overseas aid, and believe that we should be spending something closer to 12%. In reality, Australia spends $4.0 billion dollars on overseas aid – that's just 0.22% of our gross national income, or 22 cents in every $100.
The Australian Government will provide an estimated $375.7 million in total ODA to Indonesia in 2015-16, including an estimated $323 million in bilateral funding managed by DFAT.
How much do we spend on welfare in Australia?
Almost $160 billion spent on welfare. The Australian Government and state and territory governments spent an estimated $157 billion on welfare in 2015-16 (cash payments and welfare services only), up from $117 billion in 2006-07. This was an average annual growth rate of 3.4%.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 Aug 2018, 15:54

Internationally, we're doing poorly, especially after so much has been removed from the foreign aid budget in the past three years. Foreign aid isn't just cash but provision of goods and services. Because we've pulled back, other countries, notably China, have stepped in. They've gained the influence we're losing.

Australian and New Zealand together should be the chief benefactors in the South Pacific, but we're simply not pulling our weight any longer. In Fiji, for example, we used to provide solar energy generators to remote islands. We're not doing that now, so I was told the last time I was there.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 07 Aug 2018, 20:47

How do we stack up by comparison to other countries. ?
Is there any info on this ?....
do we give less than say, USA or the UK ?
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 Aug 2018, 20:57

19th out of the 29 wealthy OECD member nations. That's below the US and UK.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 08 Aug 2018, 09:09

1790 Food crisis in Port Jackson

In 1790, the colonists at Port Jackson faced their harshest conditions. Early attempts at agriculture had produced little. While hunting and fishing did supplement meagre supplies, starvation was a real possibility. Rations were reduced by two thirds, the weekly allowance per person being 2 lb (1 kilogram) of pork, 2.5 lb (1.2 kilograms) of flour and 2 lb (1 kilogram) of rice.

In March some provisions arrived on HMS Supply but the arrival of the Second Fleet in June made the situation worse. Known as the Death Fleet, these convict ships were owned by private contractor. Those convicts that hadn’t died on board as a result of starvation and ill-treatment arrived in very poor health and were a drain on resources, worsening the 1790 food crisis.

On 12 May 1790, the following assessment was made of food stores:
  • Pork 23,851lb will last until 26 August at current rates of consumption.
    Beef 1,280lb will last until 26 August at current rates of consumption
    Rice 27,455lb will last until 13 September at current rates of consumption
    Pease 17 bushels will last until 13 September at current rates of consumption
    Flour 56,884lb will last until 19 December at current rates of consumption
    Biscuit 1,924lb will last until 19 December at current rates of consumption
https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/1790-food-crisis/
As I remember, a ship was dispatched to India for emergency food aid, the first instance of foreign aid being given to Australia.
Must go now so I don't have time to dig up a reference right now.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 08 Aug 2018, 13:16

Thanks folks I know about us giving aid but very little about us getting aid. Most interesting Warrigal Thanyou everyone
I know Red Adair was sent by USA to help with a disaster. What the he k was that?

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 08 Aug 2018, 13:46

The truth is that here in Australia we are very good at managing disasters. Cyclone Tracey was the text book example of how to deal with a major crisis. We've learnt to handle fires and floods too and have the resources we need.

Foreign aid, as distinct from disaster relief, is a form of soft diplomacy that is used to garner co-operation from neighbouring countries. It is usually in the form of infrastructure such as road building and the like. The contractors are mostly Australian companies so much of the money stays circulating in the Australian economy.

If Australia were to stop all foreign aid to Pacific nations, then China would be very quick to jump in to fill the vacuum. This is how they buy votes in the UN and other important organisations.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-09/b ... ic/9740968

The Government has announced its largest ever aid commitment to the Pacific region of more than $1 billion dollars, including funding to lay an undersea telecommunications cable to Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands.

Observers say concerns about China's rising influence in the region have clearly affected Australia's aid program.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 09 Aug 2018, 10:58

This article on ABC News today says we are indeed very generous.
So where is the fake news coming from saying that we aren't ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-09/a ... s/10082702

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 09 Aug 2018, 12:52

That graph gives a clue. Aid to the South Pacific is down by one-third. Bearing in mind that this region is our backyard, we should be more custodial than we are.

Also, "foreign" isn't confined to the South Pacific. Our aid to the rest of the world's underdevoloped areas has also gone backwards. See this http://www.tai.org.au/content/new-recor ... aid-report

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Aug 2018, 14:56

mavisbramston wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 13:16
Thanks folks I know about us giving aid but very little about us getting aid. Most interesting Warrigal Thanyou everyone
I know Red Adair was sent by USA to help with a disaster. What the he k was that?
Didn't he die yonks ago? I think he fought fires, particularly on oil rigs. Perhaps that's what he did here.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 10 Aug 2018, 17:39

Red Adair was considered the bees knees for tackling oil well fires.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 11 Aug 2018, 10:45

.......and he died in 2004.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 11 Aug 2018, 14:36

While there are always plenty of comments on Australia giving aid there are no comments here or anywhere on Australia at any time recieving aid,
This is not just silver peers I find it on every site I visit.
Ihave often wanted to counter attack the opponents of us giving aid by saying we too have recieved aid. I looks as though we have never recieved aid.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 11 Aug 2018, 16:34

The biggest problem is the perception that we contribute so much. "The average Australian believes we invest about 14% of the federal budget on foreign aid and that we should actually invest about 10%. In reality, we invest 0.8%." That's from the 2018 Lowy Institute Poll.

Australia hasn't received foreign aid. It's had no need to. It's been a rich country for a long while. I remember just after the war in the UK seeing a great number of cardboxes stacked up in the school hall. They were food parcels. We were each given one to take home. They were filled with canned fruits and other items we hadn't seen for years. We thought Australia must be a wonderful paradise.