Smoko

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Smoko

Post by mavisbramston » 06 Nov 2019, 21:54

I gave up smoking a few years ago. Willing to bet many of you have too.
Probably some have never smoked so this post is not really of interest to you.
There may be some still smoking. Dont worry I certainly wont judge you I hate that!

But heres my question.

What brands of cigarettes did you smoke or do you smoke

I started with Peter styvessant ( how was that spelt?)
Ecort, Benson and Hedges.
Finally Horizon.
Funny cant recall the cheaper brand I smoked.

Pamela

Re: Smoko

Post by Pamela » 06 Nov 2019, 23:45

My first cigarettes were Woodbines which you used to be able to buy loose here in the UK and no-one questioned us kids when we asked for 5 cigarettes 'for our parents'. Ha! When I moved to the Middle East, because cigarettes were so cheap, my parents bought cartons of Rothmans so there was always a ready supply to pinch a few, they'd never miss them. :lol: Also for parties etc, they would get Sobranie Black Russians or Cocktail cigarettes and we kids used to think we were so cool if we managed to get a few of them. :icon-mrgreen:

When I came back to the UK I remember smoking Players No 6. My husband worked in Saudi and he would always bring Camel cigarettes home with him, a bit strong but I'd have the odd one or two. Also remember smoking Benson & Hedges but the last tobacco I smoked before giving up - 18 years ago - was Golden Virginia rolling tobacco.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 Nov 2019, 08:02

I gave up smoking in 1975. Like Pamela, my first cigarettes were Woodbines bought in paper packets of three (or was it five?) from the local corner shop. When I went to work at John Players, I received a free carton of 200 each week, so I smoked Players for a while, before progressing to Benson and Hedges. I also smoked cigars, cigarillos, and a Meershaum pipe at different times.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 07 Nov 2019, 10:25

I gave up when the smell of cigarettes made me feel sick and I realised I was pregnant :lol: That was 1969 and she was 50 just over a week ago.

We all smoked Embassy back then in England because they had coupons in them and I still have a red tartan travel rug and a clothes horse/airer thing after all that time. If it was the end of the week and we were broke I'd buy Woodbines because you could buy them in 5s for a few pence I think.

If us girls were going out dancing we'd splash out on Peter Styvesant as they were long and elegant, and just once we bought a pack of expensive Soubranie Black Russian as they were long, slim and black with a gold filter end.....the ultimate in elegance. It was the swinging sixties after all. But we didn't like the smell or taste of them.

When I gave up smoking, cigarettes still smelled of tobacco when you opened the pack. Ma in law smoked until she died and often asked if I'd open a new pack for her but I don't know what they smelled of. Not tobacco. I know walking past someone smoking now makes me feel rather yukky.

Interesting topic mavis! Thanks

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 07 Nov 2019, 12:17

I have never smoked,but have always respected the rights of those who have,so long as they respected my space. In the days before the indoor smoking ban,anybody lighting a smoke at our table at the club were always told to find another table,not to go outside. Incredibly,my wife regularly commented about the stink in my cloths when I arrived home. "Are you sure that you have not started smoking",she would often say. She was a light smoker.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 07 Nov 2019, 20:06

The times I've been in an old country pub in England with a thick fog of smoke half way down the room from the ceiling. It was a case of if you can't beat them....join them. :icon_biggrin:
This was before any kind of safety concerns of course in the 60s and 70s. Last century!!!

Everyone seemed to smoke back then and have nicotine stained fingers.
Sounds disgusting now doesn't it.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 08 Nov 2019, 15:42

Funny even though I gave up years and years ago in moments of stress or depression I think. How lovely it would be.
Non smokers will never get the health issues of smoking and good on them but they will never get the joy of. ......Any how lets relax with a smoke.
No I will never go back but non smokers dont get it.
I loved a fag after or with a scotch or a cuppa sitting alone on the balcony watching the world go by.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 08 Nov 2019, 17:16

What do you think of vaping mavis? :icon_biggrin:

I think it's weird.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 08 Nov 2019, 18:37

I was lucky as it turned out. I too HATED the smell of them on breaths and clothing. I can honestly say I NEVER smoked, even though all my friends were into cigarettes.
I figure that I would not be so healthy now if I had smoked when younger.

:good_luck

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 08 Nov 2019, 20:38

Not smoking is the best option Tricia. Health wise you will always be better off.
Lynny I find vaping really odd. Rather suck a lolly.
Once you stop you lose the taste for cigs. I tried one a friend offered me. I thought why not? It was awful! However I still know that after a couple I would start again.
Anyone still smoking?
You wont be ridiculed.
I hate people who do that.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 08 Nov 2019, 21:32

I guess I was lucky. Turned off by trying my father's pipe at about nine years old! Did nibble at smoking cigarettes a bit later, but when married keeping hubby in cigarettes was our tobacco budget's limit. I'd often enjoy lighting his cigs for him while he was driving, and lived for years passive smoking around him, but never got hooked. :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 09 Nov 2019, 09:09

You never unlearn smoking. It's like riding a bike. There may be a long gap between occurrences, but it comes back to you very quickly.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 09 Nov 2019, 10:21

mavisbramston wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 15:42
Funny even though I gave up years and years ago in moments of stress or depression I think. How lovely it would be.
Non smokers will never get the health issues of smoking and good on them but they will never get the joy of. ......Any how lets relax with a smoke.
No I will never go back but non smokers dont get it.
I loved a fag after or with a scotch or a cuppa sitting alone on the balcony watching the world go by.
Mavis,as a smoker,did you ever wonder what effect your habit was having,on the individual persons around you? You say that non-smokers don't get it. What I would like to ask is what is it that we don't get,other than the next morning headache,foul tasting mouth and smelly clothes.Did you realise,or even care,that every time you blew smoke out of your lungs somebody else would also have to inhale that mess,whether they wanted to or not. Even some smokers,I talk to,are grateful to come back inside out of the putrid air of the smoking area,which can be smelt 40 metres away at the opposite end of a bowling green.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 09 Nov 2019, 20:55

Perrorist wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 09:09
You never unlearn smoking. It's like riding a bike. There may be a long gap between occurrences, but it comes back to you very quickly.
My hubby gave it up to win a bet with his uncle, that he couldn't go 6 months without a smoke. He won the bet all right, but started smoking again immediately, only this time twice as heavily! :hitting_wall
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 09 Nov 2019, 21:24

When I was eighteen, I worked as a conductor on Trent buses. One shift involved taking coalminers to their early shift. Because they weren't allowed to smoke underground, they made up for it on the bus. You can imagine what that was like. The worst part was they kept the windows closed. I had a few arguments with them on that score, but it was my bus and I got a few windows open. The place still stank afterwards.