2 weeks without internet or phone

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Trishia

2 weeks without internet or phone

Post by Trishia » 02 Nov 2017, 12:58

After 2 weeks without the internet and the landline phone, I was connected again this morning.
I didn't even have a mobile, as I had let it run out because optus was milking the damned thing charging for the apps. which I didn't use, and I refused to put anymore money into it.
I had gone to the shop and made an appointment for 2 days later......The tech. didn't show up. So we rang the ombudsman and he got them going.
What sort of a service are we being asked to accept in Australia ?????
This is NOT so much the fault of the service providers, but the blame lies entirely with the GOVERNMENT. They put a CHEAP and NASTY NBN system in, and this is the result. I think the damned thing will keep on breaking down until they fix it, by putting a proper service in, the one that was first proposed by the Labour party.
As you can see, I am very angry with the whole business. We were FORCED to get the NBN, and this is the result.
I am not the only one, as the figures from the ombudsman show. :flaming_mad

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Re: 2 weeks without internet or phone

Post by Mahalia » 02 Nov 2017, 13:22

I feel your pain and totally sympathize with you Tricia - I was without my phone for 6 weeks when I moved recently and had to wait for NBN to be connected. Couldn't even open the gates at the Village I moved into as they were phone connected/activated,so had to give the security numbers to all the tradies etc that were coming and going.

Moving is stressful enough without trying to do it with no landline or computer connection. No access to phone banking, so unable to transfer funds into accounts as required, unless one made a trip into the bank to organize over the counter and that was certainly inconvenient at that point of time. No knowledge of bills falling due or overdue and then lacking the ability to pay them on line via the computer. I had changed all bills years ago to electronic, doing away with the paper postal delivered variety . On line grocery shopping wasn't able to be done, mobile phones that ran out of credit couldn't be easily recharged on line as previously done and the list was endless...I really thought I was loosing my mind and the NBN crowd were a no show 3 times - once because they couldn't contact me to gain access to the village through the main gates :yeah_right .

I had been feeling so smug having organized everything before I moved - and then it all fell in a screaming heap at my feet. Even my first grocery delivery organized for 3 days after I moved in was a non event - again because they couldn't get through the gate as I wasn't answering my unconnected phone :eek to let them in. And then the final insult once it was all connected I had to go and buy new phones as well.

NBN - not bloody near good enough in my opinion - it costs me more and my computer speed is lower than what it was when I was on the old cable system
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 02 Nov 2017, 14:11

Thank you Mahalia, it always seems better when you hear that someone else has had a worse stress situation than you, and you certainly have.
I hope things go more smoothly for you from now on. :bear_hug :good_luck

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Nov 2017, 16:49

Mahalia, I hope you put your experience on to social media, as well as sending to the press.
I hope it goes viral, and causes others to feel some support and to follow suit!
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Nov 2017, 21:10

The more we're dependent on NBN and mobiles, the more necessary it is to have a reliable and responsive service. What we have at the moment isn't much better than in a third-world country for many people.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 02 Nov 2017, 21:37

My first reactions was, what did you do before we had internet?

You are stressing yourselves out over something that isn't worth it.
Yes, I support you with your concerns and the dismal services we are getting from the NBN, but think about it, is it really worth straining your
grey matter to the point of breakage? It does more harm to you than to the NBN or Government.

Unless there is a concerted effort from 1/2 of the population nothing will happen whilst the LNP Government is in the chair.
Trumbles has lost the plot and the useless retards on the back benches just wouldn't know how to spell "We"!

I agree with DW, put your grief to the public and you may achieve some action.

United we stand, divided we fall!

:twocents-mytwocents: :twocents-mytwocents: :twocents-mytwocents:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Nov 2017, 06:25

How can you do your banking if they've closed most of the branches? How do you send mail if there are no post offices in your neighbourhood? How do you get in touch with people if there are no phone booths?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Nov 2017, 07:58

My daughter, who works from home, tells me she's been without the NBN for the past two days.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 03 Nov 2017, 10:23

Perry, tell your daughter to get in touch with the ombudsman. They get things going. Otherwise she will be off a lot longer.
Our local CBA Is closing in December. Everyone is furious. For those who don't have a car, it is awful. A lot of them can't afford to get taxis, as they are expensive.
It seems we {the common folk] are NOT IMPORTANT. As long as the pollies are OK. that's all that matters to them.
Godfather, it's hard NOT to stress out, when you are cut off from everyone. I missed the FORUM too!

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 03 Nov 2017, 14:00

oops...
double post !
itchy trigger finger ?
Last edited by terra on 03 Nov 2017, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 03 Nov 2017, 14:01

Godfather said.....

"My first reactions was, what did you do before we had internet?"

Before the internet, in particular, the NBN, we had a copper wire landline phone that worked even if our household electricity supply went down.
Now that our landline phone is connected to the NBN, if the power goes out, so does the phone.
I don't get mobile phone reception in our immediate area so that back up is useless.
How do you call for
000 services ?
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 03 Nov 2017, 14:38

Yep TERRA: Malcolm the IT wizard was told this would happen when he was in charge of having the NBN
put in.Looks as if you will have to invest in a satellite Phone, or chop down a few trees & send up some smoke signals. :yeah_right

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Nov 2017, 16:35

My medical alert system has been replaced with one that works through phone towers rather than landline. If I learn to use the internet on my mobile phone, will that save me from grief?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Nov 2017, 21:09

Is your medical alert system wireless? If so, you can tether your phone to get it to use its internet.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 03 Nov 2017, 22:58

I should have no trouble with the medical alert, as it has been replaced with one built to cope.

What I was thinking was that for general internet access I should be familiarising myself with mobile phone internet, but that is dependent on a landline modem too, unless I get a wireless dongle? Ah, but my plan includes a small amount of data, which would be through the towers?
Slow thinker here.
I dream, therefore I am.