COOOEEE !

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

lynny
Diamond Member

COOOEEE !

Post by lynny » 01 Jul 2018, 08:51

Cooee is a call used in Oz to attract someone's attention. I wonder if it will work here in Silverpeers?
I've never known it so quiet before......

Incidently, anyone know why Australians yell 'cooee' instead of ' oy you!' or words to that effect. It seems to be that we're the only ones that use it.

:awesome:

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: COOOEEE !

Post by Perrorist » 01 Jul 2018, 11:24

It is quiet. Don't know why. Must be the cold weather.

"Cooee" is generally thought to be Aboriginal in origin.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 01 Jul 2018, 11:39

I'm 'ear !
:heeheehee
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 01 Jul 2018, 11:41

How about this to kick things off !

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

Today, 1st July, full-time and part-time workers in the hospitality industry will have their Sunday penalty rates cut by 10%, while casual workers will continue to receive the same rate.

In retail, full-time and part-time workers will see their Sunday penalty rates cut by 15%, while casuals will lose 10%.

For fast food workers, the penalty rates will drop 10%, and pharmacy workers face a 15% cut.

.....and, today, Pollies will all get a 2% pay rise.
Malcolm Turnbull will enjoy a weekly pay rise of $203 next week, worth more than $10,500 a year, lifting his annual salary to more than $538,000.
The Treasurer, Scott Morrison, will see his annual pay increase to more than $388,200, and the pay of the Labor leader, Bill Shorten, will rise to $384,000.

The annual base salary of a federal backbencher will increase from $203,000 to $207,000.
I hope that all cafes and coffee shops will now shut down on weekends so that hi-flying pollies cannot get their latte and smashed avo whilst swanning around the country side.

:kiss_my_bum: :kiss_my_bum: :kiss_my_bum:

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 01 Jul 2018, 13:12

Turnbull is the highest paid PM in the world, I believe.

It would be great if all those affected workers refused to serve the pollies who supported this reduction.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 01 Jul 2018, 14:10

Yes.... I agree Perry !
I believe that precedent has been set only last week in the US.
One of Trumps aids was refused service in a restaurant and asked to leave.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -lexington

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 01 Jul 2018, 14:52

Just another example of just how this government views the common people.
If the corporate world , the mining industry and big business PAID their TAXES, there would be no shortage of money for all the important things that need to be done.
If someone is daring enough to criticise the Liberals, ie. the ABC, they pay the price by having their money CUT. This country is fast becoming a DICTATORSHIP!
I am beginning to hate them for what they are doing to Australia. :flaming_mad

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 02 Jul 2018, 06:44

Despite the old catchcry......its a long time since I was able to consider Australia as "the lucky country".

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 02 Jul 2018, 09:20

Sad but true kfchugo! 8-[

Hughie

Post by Hughie » 06 Jul 2018, 22:27

Thought I'd add a post from my Scottish group from a few years ago. This is what I posted in a topic headed : Not a lot of people know that.

Michael Caine never actually said that. But I thought it might be a good heading for a topic. :roll:
Add your take on "Not a lot of people know that".

In the 1950s we had a good neighbour in Whitlees Crescent in Ardrossan, Laura Phillips (nee Melville).
Often you'd hear her call out to acquaintances to hold on as she'd walk down the street with them.

The method she used to call them was the Australian bush call of Cooee! Since coming to Oz I've often wondered where did she pick that up from.

I might have found the answer:
One of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes mysteries hinges on the use of "cooee!". "The Boscombe Valley Mystery" is solved partly because, unlike everyone else, Holmes recognizes the call is commonly used among Australians.
The leaving of Liverpool - on Harmonica ... by Hughie
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 07 Jul 2018, 14:38

That's interesting Hughie! I was thinking it might have returned with soldiers who'd served with Aussies during one of the wars but see that that Conan Doyle short story was first published in 1891.
It maybe could have arrived with those who'd been transported and then returned as free men.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Jul 2018, 17:47

I wondered how popular it had been, as though we learned about it in school, I had never heard it in use in 87 years. So I asked Mr. Google.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ll/3162216
There's also an hour long podcast there with more info.
Cooee: the history of a call
Download audio
Sunday 9 November 2008 2:00PM
IMAGE: 'COO-EE MARY, MY LITTLE GUM TREE QUEEN' SHEET MUSIC COVER, 'COO-EE MARY, MY LITTLE GUM TREE QUEEN' WORDS & MUSIC BY FRANK G. KING, 1907 COURTESY: NATIONAL LIBRARY OF AUSTRALIALINK TO LARGER IMAGE. IMAGE: GILGANDRA, NSW COO-EE HERITAGE CENTRE, GILGANDRA, NSW PHOTO: ANNE BOWEN LINK TO LARGER IMAGE.
Most Australians know the word 'cooee' but it is difficult to pin down the origins of the call. 'Cooee' has a rich and intriguing history in music, language, war, commerce and nationalism.

Sydney historian Richard White shares facts and theories about the rise and fall of this sound of the bush, to the accompaniment of a showcase of 'coo-ee' songs.

Recruiting poster, 1915

There is qualified consensus that the word was used by indigenous people prior to European settlement. It was recorded in a notebook by one of the first fleet in 1789, and notated in music by Baudin in 1801. By the 1820s, it was part of colonial speech, widespread in New Zealand too.
Then in the 1840s it began to be called out loud in London by visiting colonists, and its nationalistic association with Australia began. A growing number of 'coo-ee' songs followed, along with its appearance in literature.

Federation seized on a word that symbolically encompassed the whole of Australia, and its popularity rose to the point where there were calls for three cheers to be replaced with three 'coo-ees'. In the First World War, the number of coo-ee songs swelled as it joined the chorus of recruitment numbers and ballads reminding troops of home.

In the decades that followed, 'coo-ee' became something of an echo of its former self. Its place in everyday language declined, and it's not clear whether coming generations will give voice to the word. However some exceptions can be heard, suggesting it's a call close to the hearts of many in their relationship with family and land.

Songs performed by Louisa Hunter-Bradley, soprano and Dean Sky
History consultant: Richard White, Department of History, University of Sydney
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ll/3162216

The 'Cooee' name has been used for historical research companies, exhibitions, etc.
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 08 Jul 2018, 10:12

Thanks DW! Being a Pom in my origins I knew nothing of cooee at all. It's not something I've heard in Tassie.

I do know that England are within a cooee of winning the World Cup! :cheers:

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 08 Jul 2018, 15:49

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 08 Jul 2018, 16:27

I've not heard that before. Quite a pleasant little song.