Racism

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Racism

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Oct 2018, 23:07

Is it racist to say that the 'whites' have treated the 'darks' badly?
Is it racist to say this still happens?

Your opinion?

I think always, everywhere, someone will treat someone badly. If a number do this on the basis of skin colour, are not they the racist ones, rather than those who object?

Of course, because of their own experience some 'darks' can be anti-'white', but many people objecting to ill treatment of 'darks' are 'white' anyway, and know that it has never been all 'whites' at fault, and that the proportion of ill treaters is now much lower than in the past.

Some times racism can involve physical or mental ill treatment, sometimes just an ingrained attitude. It has never been all 'whites' ill treating 'darks', not even all slave owners, even if misguided enough to consider them subhuman. Many a farmer cares about his stock, but unfortunately not all. It's still racism. If I am racist and anti-'white' for saying so, that's a puzzle to me!

A Facebook friend has written "Pauline... it is also OK to be brown. yellow. black, female. male, or mentally or physically handicapped. It is even OK to have dyed red hair........."
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Racism

Post by Perrorist » 20 Oct 2018, 08:13

Demonising groups other than our own is a primitive instinct, activated by fear and uncertainty. It doesn't have to be race. Nationality, religion, political persuasion, sexual orientation, disability are all excuses for exclusion.

Growing up in the UK, I saw "No Irish" cards in B&B windows. In Sweden, I saw how the Finns were regarded as a race of drunkards, and the British considered to be unwashed (which I also saw when I arrived in Oz).

We feel superior when we treat others as inferior, and their being inferior means we're justified in subjecting them to the kind of behaviour we wouldn't accept for ourselves.

Sadly, in a fearful, uncertain world, this demonisation is on the rise.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 20 Oct 2018, 14:02

On the other hand, are we not all entitled to our own likes and dislikes? In many cases, what we call "racism" is often simple generalisation. I dont judge people on the colour of their skin, religious views or sexual orientation but in some cases, I do tend to generalise. If a certain group of people generally exhibit traits or characteristics that displease me, I do tend to avoid those people. To me, as the bible says "all men are created equal"......until they get on my nerves. Racism or simple good taste? :character-oldtimer:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 Oct 2018, 20:44

Hugo, that's a matter of taste rather than racism, I think, and probably good taste at that! :lol: I admit to liking some cultures better than others. Of course it's generalising to think that being raised in any culture produces clones, all thinking alike. Look at our own Aussie neighbours - same country, State, town, street, yet each different. Even so, there are many influences on a maturing child that can turn the outcome for better or for worse, it's certainly not all down to genes or race. But as families relocate, new cultures become an influence, regardless of race. The word 'epigenetics' is one that's relatively new to me. It's how our genes can switch on or off according to what our parents, grandparents, etc have experienced (feast or famine, good treatment or bad, cultural changes, etc)
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 22 Oct 2018, 08:27

Personally I do not think the reservations or even contempt that many of us have against Muslims is racist. Its a religion not a race. i need to be convinced that they really do accept our values and believe in separation of church (religion) and state.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Oct 2018, 09:32

Originally the word 'Muslim' meant a follower of Islam, but now many are atheist! The words Islam and Muslim are not now synonymous. Are we now using "Muslim" in a racist sense, generalising?

Agreed that some, a minority, hold views that are a threat to our culture, but the Koran states that the civil law of a country must be honoured above Sharia law. How can we identify how religious any Muslim is? Perhaps we jump to conclusions based on race. Again, those who are Isalamists fall into very different sects. How do we judge what each one's belief is? Are we again basing our presumptions on race?

"Presumed innocent until proved guilty"
or
"Presumed guilty until proved innocent"?
:lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 22 Oct 2018, 13:54

A good point DW, but how many innocents must die before we can establish guilt? Is racism or religious intolerance justified in protecting our citizens and the Australian way of life? No doubt there are excellent arguments both for and against.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Oct 2018, 17:18

Where is your main fear, Hugo? In cultural change, or terrorism?

Terrorism, like natural disaster, can be horrendous, spiking in a particular year while giving no prediction for following years. When it hits us we have no choice but to suffer, but we can't live in dread of, for instance, an asteroid hitting our locality.

Cultural change comes gradually, we have more chance of monitoring it, more choice of accepting it or not. In fact, they might have something good to offer us. While I am a great admirer of Australian culture, I don't consider it the be all and end all. I'm sure we could all name Australians we don't admire!
. . . . . . . . :heeheehee
I dream, therefore I am.