Losses after 70

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Losses after 70

Post by Dreamweaver » 01 Feb 2019, 16:32

Friend had been complaining that after 70 is the season of losses — health losses, mobility losses, autonomy losses and so on as we age. Until she read this reply.
On November 18, 1995, Itzhak Perlman came on stage to give a concert at Lincoln Centre in New York City. If you have ever been to
a Perlman concert, you know that getting on stage is no small achievement. He was stricken with polio as a child and has braces on
both legs and walks with the aid of two crutches. To see him walk across the stage painfully, slowly, yet majestically, is a sight to see.
He sits down, slowly puts his crutches on the floor, undoes the clasps on his legs, tucks one foot back and extends the other foot forward.
Then he bends down, picks up his violin, puts it under chin, nods to the conductor, and proceeds to play.

But this time, something went wrong. Just as Itzak finished the first few bars, one of the strings on his violin broke. You could hear it
snap—it went off like gunfire across the room. There was no mistaking what he had to do.

People thought he would have to get up, put on the clasps again, pick up the crutches and limp his way off the stage—to either find another
violin or else find another string for this one. Or wait for someone to bring him another. But he didn’t. Instead he waited a moment, closed
his eyes, and then signalled the conductor to begin again. The orchestra began, and he played from where he had left off. And he
played with such passion and such power and purity, as they had never heard before.

When he finished, there was a pin-dropping silence. And then everyone got on their feet, applauding and cheering, doing everything
they could to show how much they appreciated what he had done. He smiled, wiped the sweat from his brow, raised his bow to quiet
the audience, and said, not boastfully, but in a quiet reverent tone:
"You know, sometimes it is the artist’s task to find out how much music you can still make with what you have left."
Friend's response then, "Perhaps that is the way of life—not just for an artist but for all of us."
I dream, therefore I am.

Trishia

Re: Losses after 70

Post by Trishia » 01 Feb 2019, 18:30

What a lovely story.
It just goes to show that some people can overcome the most terrible disabilities.
I often feel like whinging about my loses, and then I think to myself, "you can still think, talk listen and walk!"

:happy-sunshine:

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Post by Tedwalker » 02 Feb 2019, 09:29

Good story DW.

:good_one

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Feb 2019, 18:04

I have some of his recordings. They're sublime. I love Bruch's and Mendelssohn's violin concertos. His renditions send me into a higher dimension.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Feb 2019, 18:18

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 03 Feb 2019, 08:04

I once heard a priest talking to 15 year old students who said that we are born with our fists clenched and die with them open. He said that life is a long process of learning to let go of many things - youth, hair, teeth, loved ones, expectations and so on. Being much older than the girls, I knew exactly what he was talking about.
If Bill doesn't BackTheBill, then don't back Bill - Gosford Anglican Church noticeboard.