Gaslighting cf. bullying

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Gaslighting cf. bullying

Post by Dreamweaver »

I was asked by a non-English-speaker - what was gaslighting, was it bullying? I didn't know and went on a search. This is what I found.
The name comes from a part in a 1938 play, 1944 film, where the husband is using the gas lights in an upstairs flat, causing them to dim in his own. His wife brings this up, and he convinces her she’s imagining it, which is characteristic of gaslighting. Essentially, the abuser uses persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying to make the victim feel unsure of their own sanity. They may use this tactic to make the victim feel that they ‘imagined’ other abuse, or simply to disorientate the victim as a form of abuse on it’s own. Gaslighting can happen in romantic relationships, as well as friendships or in families.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/05/what-is- ... g-7443188/

Although gaslighting might involve bullying, there are different aspects.

"Gaslighting
Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or group, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment, often evoking in them cognitive dissonance and other changes, including low self-esteem, thereby rendering the victim additionally dependent on the gaslighter for emotional support and validation. Wikipedia"

"Bullying
Bullying is the use of force, coercion, or threat, to abuse, aggressively dominate or intimidate. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. One essential prerequisite is the perception of an imbalance of physical or social power. This imbalance distinguishes bullying from conflict. Wikipedia"
They can go hand in hand sometimes, not other times.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Gaslighting cf. bullying

Post by Perrorist »

I remember that movie. It was good; starred Ingrid Bergman.