Religious freedom

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Religious freedom

Post by mavisbramston »

Here we go...
The hate is about to be ignited by the religious right yet again!
Freedom of religion means giving respectability to hate and discrimination.

Trishia

Re: Religious freedom

Post by Trishia »

The trouble is, that the members of the religions DO NOT have FREEDOM ,
I think a better law would be....

Freedom FROM Religion!

Religion makes life hell on earth for some poor people!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Have you got a link, Mavis, that we can read more about what they are saying?
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal »

Yes please. I haven't a clue as to what this is all about.

As far as I am concerned I have both freedom of religion and freedom from religion in this country. I am also a free agent with a voice, so what is the problem? What has happened?
"Great powers do what they wish; the rest of us do what we can"
Geoff Raby, former Australian Ambassador to China.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

Warrigal wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 11:36
Yes please. I haven't a clue as to what this is all about.

As far as I am concerned I have both freedom of religion and freedom from religion in this country. I am also a free agent with a voice, so what is the problem? What has happened?
:hhuuuhhhh That was my first thought too.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

It will be back on the agenda.
FB seems to have taken it down.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-17/ ... s/11969036

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

Before covid hit Morrison had threatened or promised to bring in laws which will target LGBT students and teachers.
A student can be expelled for being gay.
So called religious freedom.
It is going to be a huge back lash against marriage equality.
It will mean LGBT teachers in religious schools can be sacked but it also means they can teach homophobic values.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

Morrison is a dead man walking Mavis. Most of his time,at the moment,is being spent protecting his position. Why worry about something like this?
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

At the moment he's protected by the media, but once it's decided he's a loser, he'll be history. I see there's no longer talk about an early election, and the vaccine rollout is going as badly as everything else this government is responsible for.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

This is an issue that will not concern many but as my son is a gay married man , he and his husband introduced us to many young gay people. In many ways in life we take up many causes.
It is not for others to judge the worth of any cause a person takes..... whether its anything from the welfare of the speckled tit bird or the rights of gay whales.
But we are particularly fond of LGBT people. We have seen how they are bullied.
We saw first hand how safe schools saved lives and how the cruel plebicitehurt people.
We are proud to stand by the LGBT community who are the most beautiful people we have ever met.
Wish more churches werelike many of the Uniting churches who are more compassionate.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal »

Now I understand but what you are seeking is change. As far as I can tell this legislation just confirms the status quo. More work will need to be done to bring things forward.

The Uniting Church, which is more democratic than most because of its organisational structure, dealt with this at least a decade ago but in the end did not take a stand one way or the other. It left the decision making to each congregation. We thrashed the matter out at our church and came down on the side of equality and inclusion. Other local congregations talked about leaving the Uniting Church as a unit but in the end did not. They would have had to leave the church property that they do not own. In NSW and probably other states as well, by legal statute, all church property is vested in the only body actually recognised under law, the NSW Property Committee of the [church name]. The property committees are the registered owners of all of the church property, including the child care centres, private schools and all aged care accommodation. Equity and inclusion, as mandated by law, is binding in all of them except where the law spells out exemptions.

It is a pity that the exemptions are still included in the law but they have been there for a long time. Laws can be changed. That's where the energy must be directed.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

As always Warrigal a wonderful response.
I have learned much from you over the years.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

It is interesting (to me) that the very word 'religion' is sometimes supposed to mean 're-binding'.
The interpretation of many modern writers connects it with religare "to bind fast"
and that
In English, meaning "particular system of faith" is recorded from c. 1300;
sense of "recognition of and allegiance in manner of life (perceived as justly due) to a higher, unseen power or powers" is from 1530s.
and that in 1885 the then Pope said
To hold, therefore, that there is no difference in matters of religion between forms that are unlike each other, and even contrary to each other, most clearly leads in the end to the rejection of all religion in both theory and practice. And this is the same thing as atheism, however it may differ from it in name. [Pope Leo XIII, Immortale Dei, 1885]
:heeheehee

More here - https://www.etymonline.com/word/Religion
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

I came across this, which I thought some might be interested in.
The Genesis Fix

As for sharing the “Gospel,” in 2007, I personally published a book titled The Genesis Fix: A Repair Manual for Faith in the Modern Age. It addressed the effects of biblical literalism on politics, culture, and the environment. This is the real challenge for Christianity in the modern age. How does one reconcile the Bible in its early stages to what we’ve learned through science about the true story of creation? And what do the teachings of Jesus, especially his resistance to false religious authority based on tradition and legalism tell us about how we should respond to the versions of Christianity that embrace political power over compassion and social justice?

Rescuing Christianity

My personal response is to author another book titled Rescuing Christianity from the Grip of Tradition that I’m now pitching to agents and publishers. It explains how the religion founded on the life of Jesus Christ came to be exploited repeatedly by religious authorities eager for power and willing to exact punishment upon those who resisted their rule.

I also write in forums like this to help people understand that the form of the “Gospel” that they’re being fed through so-called “Bible-churches” and conserva tive media outlets, radio stations and Internet sites has more in common with the religious authorities who fought Jesus than with the Disciples that humbly took the message of Christ on the road, preaching in public places without the power or authority of the church behind them.

False religious authority

At all points in Christian history, it has been people willing to challenge false political and religious authority that have wound up persecuted by the church and its political allies. John the Baptist was one of the original resisters. He was the Antifa of his time, a voice speaking out against fascist control of society by religious authoritarians willing to conspire and kill in order to protect their position in society and the so-called “tradition” that they invented to fund their jobs and extort money from even the poorest citizens.
The true legacy of the Gospel is to be more like John the Baptist than Joel Osteen with his mansions and $300,000 cars. To be more like Peter who recognized his failure in denying Jesus than like Donald Trump who stands before a church wielding a Bible like it was a weapon. To be more like Job, who even when tested by God under a bet with Satan, and criticized by his own friends for his supposed sins, refused to cast blame on anyone else in the world.

You can see the difference if you take a moment to understand that the Gospel calls people to stand up to these corrupt, greedy, self-aggrandizing instincts. That is the best “method” to communicate what scripture is all about, and what the figure of Jesus means in world history. Either you get that or you don’t. And right now, there are millions of people proclaiming the name of Christ who don’t “get it” at all.

Humanistic take on the Gospel

That’s always been the case of course. The likes of Thomas Jefferson understood that scripture is full of contradictions and “miracles” that are part belief and the rest literary fiction. He carved them out of the Bible to illuminate the teachings of Christ in a humanistic context. That is hard to sustain when people are consumed by notions of scriptural inerrancy and infallibility. This is the tradition known as “apologetics,” and conservative Christian theologians spout it like water out of a geyser rather than Living Water, a tactic they embrace for reasons of attracting attention in order to gain control and authority. It all funnels into the same perverse notion that believing in Jesus is a tool for power and wealth.

And it isn’t. You want to share the Gospel? Then understand what it really is rather than passing along false notions of what the life of Jesus really means to the world. It is about love, justice, truth, and hope. Not power, wealth, control, and repression.

Christopher Cudworth
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best- ... ith-others
·
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal »

Today, for the first time this year I was able to attend church and meet up with old friends.

It was announced that, as next week will be Mardi Gras, our rainbow banner bearing the words "You are Welcome" will be displayed high up on the church building. Last year a similar banner was defaced and slashed but this very act caused some local people to come to our defence and stand with us. We still have paper hearts with the words "We stand with Revesby UC" on a rainbow background displayed in our foyer. They were prepared by one of the playgroup mothers last year.

We will soon be taking part in a "Sound the Alarm" event with other churches to draw attention to the urgent need to take action on climate change. It involves making a noise simultaneously with other groups. We have not yet chosen out way of making noise but I suggested the sound of a WWII air raid siren, followed by a warning message. I'll be interested to see what is decided eventually.