Ask a question

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Ask a question

Post by Dreamweaver »

What do you wonder about? What do others think?

First question comes from me. Two questions actually! :lol:

If you had the power to make this a better world in just one way that everyone could agree on, what would it be, and how could it be achieved?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Ask a question

Post by Perrorist »

Getting everyone to agree would be a superhuman challenge. We have the means to provide everyone with shelter, food, and water. The way to do this is to confiscate excessive wealth and redirect it to where it's needed. This would require governments' taxation systems to be aligned to prevent wealth being moved to more favourable jurisdictions. It's rather like a global version of UBI.

Is it achievable? Highly unlikely (see my opening sentence).

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

With so many homeless people wandering the streets,why isn't more public housing being built?
It was possible back in the 1950s and 60s,but is now considered too costly for the state,and is now left to the greedy developers.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

We've revised our tax system to favour the better off and increasing homelessness is the result. I read today that Finland has no homeless because the state houses them and finds it to be cheaper in the long run.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

Of course it is cheaper. My father wouldn't take up the offer to buy our's back in the 60s. He didn't like the coal trains shunting at the back fence,but the sea view was magnificent. Unimproved houses in that area are now selling for $2 million plus.
The coal trains are long gone.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

Back in the late 70s I had an opportunity to buy 5 acres near Coffs Harbour for $25K. Sea views as well, if my memory is reliable. Today, I would be able to subdivide it and make a fortune. Such is life.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Are we saying there's not a single solitary thing, that everyone could agree on, to make this a better world in just one way?
:question:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

Not everyone. You might get a large minority, but you'll never get complete unanimity.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

Would there be anyone,other than the obvious scrooges,who wouldn't prefer to see everybody living comfortably?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

There are those who believe that we must deserve our good fortune, for example, by working for it. They are the "moral" citizens, the modern puritans, the likes of Hillsongers and extreme rightwingers.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Could we all agree on one of the many variations of "Do as you would be done by"? These seem to be accepted as moral in all cultures of the world, but would breaking that code have to be deemed illegal?

I've got a sneaking suspicion that they are already the basis for most law. Yes? No? :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Do you prefer a cat, a dog, or something else as a pet, and why?
Does your own age make a difference?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

I like both dogs and cats, but cats are less trouble. Our ragdoll died just before Xmas, She was 18, the sweetest cat you could imagine, but she was in pain, so we had her put down. Gut-wrenching. I'm not sure that we'll get another pet, as it's likely to outlive us.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

I am a dog person,but do not have one at the moment. Cats are forbidden in my house,particularly the black one from across the road. It is constantly leaving it's presents on my front driveway. Dead mice,birds and lizards. The council claims that cats are roamers,so they will do nothing about it.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Though dogs and cats have some similar traits, they often have opposite ones.
And the average dog is supposed to have an equivalent of human age 3. A cat's equivalent human age is somewhat surprising.

https://starecat.com/dog-is-able-to-lea ... an-age-42/
I dream, therefore I am.