Yukkas

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Yukkas

Post by mavisbramston »

Anyone have any tips in getting rid of them.
I quite like them but they are going mad and too many.
I have cut them at the base but I think they will grow back.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Yukkas

Post by Dreamweaver »

Can you dig them out, Mavis? If you have cut them right back, you might get them to sicken and die by overwatering them and covering them against sunlight! :lol:

If you want to just tame them and retain them, this article might help. You need to scroll down. https://www.wikihow.com/Prune-Yucca-Plants
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

:text-thankyou:

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

I love my yukkas,but if you want to get rid of your's then why not just poison them. Cut them off at the base and then immediately paint the stump with the poison. Full strength Roundup should work a treat.

ps ... Do you know that you can pay up to $150 for an established plant at Bunnings,but they are so easy to start at home.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

I likem but there were far too many.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

One of my sons is now in WA. Before going there he and his family lived in a large ground floor unit. He had about 6 large yukkas in pots,which I am now minding,just in case he wants them when he returns to this area. I have been cutting off the the suckers as they form and potting them. They make great,and cheap,presents.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

Slapsy wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 22:47
One of my sons is now in WA. Before going there he and his family lived in a large ground floor unit. He had about 6 large yukkas in pots,which I am now minding,just in case he wants them when he returns to this area. I have been cutting off the the suckers as they form and potting them. They make great,and cheap,presents.
:text-thankyou: