Daphne

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Daphne

Post by mavisbramston » 10 Mar 2018, 08:05

I love Daphne. Since I moved to an area with really poor clay soil I have not had much luck. Despite lots of gypson and fertiliser its not doing well. I might have over watered it so have dug it up and tried to pot it. Not much better. Could I cut back the drooping leaves off the sad little plant? Talking of pruning I find daphne often reacts badly to pruning.
Love to read any experience s growing my favourite ( well second fave excluding roses) plant. Anyone had luck growing it in pots?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Daphne

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Mar 2018, 09:10

Daphne doesn't like to be disturbed. Don't even shift the pot if it does well in one position.
Adjust the pH around the daphne if it is too high or low, because daphnes prefer a near-neutral pH. An improper pH can leave nutrients unavailable to plants, causing various symptoms of nutrient deficiencies to develop. The most reliable way to determine whether the pH is too high or low is to test the soil. Lime raises the pH, while sulfur lowers it.
And don't confuse gypsum with lime. http://www.calciumproducts.com/componen ... ime-gypsum
I dream, therefore I am.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 10 Mar 2018, 13:29

I love Daphne too. Is there any better perfume!

I've never tried to grow it though. I just pinch a bit if a friend has some in flower. My garden has to survive on neglect with the occaisional short back and sides.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Mar 2018, 21:05

Mine too, Lynny! :lol:
The bits you acquire, if you pull most leaves off and stick them in a glass of water, they might strike.
There are surer ways to do it, but my mum just used ordinary water.
Me, I don't have a green thumb!
I dream, therefore I am.