Murder mysteries and crime

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Murder mysteries and crime

Post by mavisbramston » 12 Aug 2018, 11:45

I have always enjoyed Agatha Christie and although a bit of a predictable choice I find Miss Marple a wonderful character, even more than the Belgian Inspector.
Another crime writer I love is Ruth Rendall.
I am catching up with a few others.
I just got two Dorothy L Sayers books from the library.
I simply hated them. I just found her writing tedious and Wimsy was such a flat one dimemsional character. I know her books were loved by hoards of fans but I had to give up on them. Rare for me as I mostly plough through until the end.
What crime mystery writers do you like? Of the moden I do quite like Kathy Reichs.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Murder mysteries and crime

Post by kfchugo » 12 Aug 2018, 19:34

For spy thrillers, I like Vince Flynn as an author.....he is your typical "America is always right" type, but his books are exciting. For historical novels that are entertaining, I cant go past anything by Wilbur Smith.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 12 Aug 2018, 19:41

If I had to pick one it has to be Ian Rankin who writes the Rebus detective stories.
The TV series was pretty good too.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 13 Aug 2018, 16:41

John Grisham a former U S Lawyer, some made into Films
Ann Granger a U K writer
both excellent mysteries

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Aug 2018, 20:55

I'm a big fan of crime and thriller novels. I've read all of the Ruth Rendall/Barbara Vine crime stories, and all of Michael Connolly's books, too. He's very good. His novels are set in LA.

There are some very good Aussie authors as well. Peter Temple is one; another is Garry Disher. I recommend The Dry by Jane Harper. Well worth reading. All three write about the outback convincingly. Also Kate Grenville's books.

I'm in the middle of reading Adrian McKinty's novels. He lives in Australia but was born in Northern Ireland.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 20 Aug 2018, 16:51

I should have mentioned West Australian author Tim Winton, his last book, The Shepherd's Hut for some weeks now ,in the top ten best sellers, also another Australian crime author's book Long Bay, by Eleanor Limprecht

Pamela

Post by Pamela » 21 Aug 2018, 17:46

Perry... I loved The Dry by Jane Harper! Also enjoyed her second one, Force of Nature and I've pre-ordered her latest one, The Lost Man, from the library. Due out sometime this Autumn.

My other favourites are the Kate Burkholder series by Linda Castillo. Kate Burkholder left her Amish community and later returns to the area as Chief of Police.

One I really have to recommend is called Forty Days Without Shadow by Olivier Truc. Set amongst the Sami people in Norway. He has written a couple more which I am desperate to read but at the moment they haven't been translated into English.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 21 Aug 2018, 18:31

Thanks, Pamela. I shall follow those up.