Excellent

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Excellent

Post by mavisbramston » 14 Mar 2019, 15:08

It is not easy to watch but The Photographer of Mathausen on Netflix is excellent. I warn you it is harrowing but a really interesting piece of history. Great courage. I knew nothing about this

lynny
Diamond Member

Re: Excellent

Post by lynny » 15 Mar 2019, 14:11

Not my cuppa tea mavis. :icon_biggrin:
I never have liked subtitles as they take me away from the cinematography.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 17 Mar 2019, 12:01

Another superb film.

Uplifting and inspiring. Beautifully written directed and most certainly acted movie on netflix is The Boy who harnassed the wind

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 66KxdH26Ng

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 17 Mar 2019, 12:23

lynny wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 14:11
Not my cuppa tea mavis. :icon_biggrin:
I never have liked subtitles as they take me away from the cinematography.
Wow. You surprise me Lynny. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I often prefer foreign language films. Yes I think plenty will agree with you. I am quite used to be being the odd man out. :lol:
Foriegn language movies often challenge me. They take me to other cultures
Surely you dont like dubbing. Its awful.
Or do you only like American movies?
If you go to the opera surely you dont want it sung in English? The Italian vowels are so much more fluid and richer.
Personally I loved the way SBS for example opened our lives to rich and varied film watching experience. Before that I found movies to be rather insular and parochial.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 17 Mar 2019, 13:49

Well, they're not called Moving Pictures for nothing and they go to a lot of trouble finding locations, architecture, interiors and casting the right people, even extras and so I don't want to be distracted from the scene by having to read a conversation. I like a book for that......and I put my own pictures to that story. :lol: I often dislike the film or TV version of the book because my version in my head was better. Nuts, I know!

I don't go out of my way to watch 'American films' unless they're looking to be something I really fancy. I was born in England so I guess I'm biased. And I can't say anything bad about SBS. Some nights it's the only channel I watch! :icon_biggrin:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 17 Mar 2019, 15:09

No Lynny not nuts. I was simply curious. Thanks for taking my comments as intended. Read and watch. Multi task. You women are better at that than men

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 17 Mar 2019, 15:12

In some instances,there is no need to read the sub-titles to understand what is going on. :heeheehee
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Mar 2019, 22:00

I can agree with everything everyone has posted here. What does that say about me?
I must be the original vanilla type! :eek
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 18 Mar 2019, 08:12

There is nothing wrong with being divided in your views .
I find lots of issues complex, indeed I frequently disagee with things I have actually said lol :lol:

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 18 Mar 2019, 16:18

mavisbramston wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 15:09
.......... Read and watch. Multi task. You women are better at that than men
:lol: Don't know what that makes me then cus that's two things I can't do at the same time!
Good job we're all different eh!

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 18 Mar 2019, 20:53

Because my wife is deaf, we watch everything with subtitles, and I find it hard to watch videos without, although I have hearing issues of my own now.

I love foreign films, especially ones where I know something of the language. When we lived in Sweden, we used to watch English language programs with Swedish subtitles and it helped me no end to get to grips with the language.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 19 Mar 2019, 12:13

Off topic but Perrorist I would love to hear about living in Sweden.
I have heard people are very civilised dont mind higher taxes as in return they get better health care education etc.
I know its always been wondefully tolerant.
My son and his husband love it. They live in Denmark.
They often visit friends in Sweden.
The people (all three genders) are beautiful.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 19 Mar 2019, 17:56

We got married on the Saturday and the next day flew to Sweden, where I was to start work on the Monday at Stockholms Eskilda Banken. This was in 1969. We stayed two years. Returned to England for a year, then went to Finland for another year. Of the two countries, I preferred Finland.

The welfare system was extensive, but taxation levels were high, too. At the time it was possible to pay over 100% taxation at marginal levels, which is why ABBA, Ingmar Johansson, Björn Borg, and other very high earners domiciled themselves in Monaco. (Speaking of Björn Borg, he was a teenager then and unknown outside Sweden. We knew he was destined for greater things.)

It's changed a lot since then, with Sweden being affected by the neo-economics mania like everywhere else, but the welfare system still leaves ours for dead.

It's tolerant to some extent, but offset by formality and a strong self-righteous streak. The Danes and the Finns were much easier going. There was a Danish cartoon at the time that showed two Swedes sitting apart from each other on the beach of a tropical island where they'd been shipwrecked, and two Danes are watching them. One says to other, "They're waiting to be introduced."

They seemed to exhibit a degree of angst and introspection, too, that Ingmar Johansson explored in his films, and was seen in Greta Garbo and, later, Agnetha Fältskog when they retired from the limelight.

We made friends with Swedes, were invited to weddings and weekend barbecues, and mixed in as best we could, which is what you have to do if you want to get the best out of your stay. It was an eye-opener for me, as it was my first trip abroad, and proved to me that travel broadens the mind.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 20 Mar 2019, 14:18

Thanks for that Perrorist. Great read!